Nerdvana

3,493 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
AgTrip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Curious if anyone has been in to check it out? Saw the story on kbtx and was intrigued. Is there more to it than just arcade games? Their face book says the do poker as well. Who's been? Give us the skinny! Thanks in advance!
PS3D
Yeah. A lot of the arcade machines are MAME machines though and none of them are light gun or other novelty controls. The toy selection is hit and miss, a lot of pop culture items from the 1960s on. They do buy old stuff, too. You might see something of (formerly) mine there.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Its a pretty cool spot actually. They have an all day video game play for like $15.
ChampsAg
I think they have a special right now $10 unlimited play
AggieBarstool
Who remembers the arcade in the mall? I'm surprised it's taken this long for something akin to an arcade to open up in the area.
CrazyAgE
AggieBarstool said:

Who remembers the arcade in the mall? I'm surprised it's taken this long for something akin to an arcade to open up in the area.

Timeout!!!

I love the old aracdes we have had
CrazyAgE
Now, who remembers the old arcade we had in Culpepper Plaza??
Prune Tracy
CrazyAgE said:

Bubble hockey and Master Blaster!
AG @ HEART
CrazyAgE said:

AggieBarstool said:

Timeout!!!

I love the old aracdes we have had

Aladdin's
91_Aggie
AG
Alladdins Castle in Windsor Park Mall in San Antonio is where is spent all my quarters from 1980ish to 1987.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
That's disappointing to hear about the MAME machines, but I don't think that's a dealbreaker. Still planning on taking my youngest tomorrow night to check it out.

I took my boys to an arcade in Spring a few months back called The Game Preserve. While some of the cabinets had definitely seen better days, playing some old school games again just made me feel young again. I spent way too much time at the arcades in Westlakes Mall and Ingram Park Mall in San Antonio. When those started closing down, there was an arcade called Diversions that opened on Bandera Road that took a lot of my money in the 90's.
Captn_Ag05
AG
What is MAME and why is it a bad thing?
AggieBarstool
Captn_Ag05 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

Basically, these aren't the original arcades, but rather, new computers, or "emulators" designed to simulate the real thing.
slyk
CrazyAgE said:

Games Galore right?
Captn_Ag05
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

Basically, these aren't the original arcades, but rather, new computers, or "emulators" designed to simulate the real thing.

Thank you for dumbing it down for me!
chigger
AG
slyk said:

CrazyAgE said:

Games Galore right?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Spent many hours there.
CrazyAgE
slyk said:

CrazyAgE said:

Games Galore right?

Yep! Games Galore was awesome!
Average Joe
AG
They do have several original cabs. Looked like around half of their 30+ cabs.
agnerd
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

CrazyAgE said:

Bubble hockey and Master Blaster!
Wanted to buy an original USA vs Russia game like they had there, but I'm not made of money. Had to settle for an imitator.
95_Aggie
AG
That arcade was next to Godfather's Pizza, right? Just down from Swenson's?

mmmmmmmmmm
duffelpud
AG

Forum 303 in Arlington, Prestonwood Mall in N. Dallas, Northpark Mall, The Galleria at 635, Red Bird Mall...

Then there were the games at Mr. Bill's Pizza in Midlothian.
"What's this button do?"
waterchick
Mr. egret worked at Time Out waaay back in the day. I need to tell him about Nerdvana.
BCS-Ag
Is this more a kid thing or do they have adult hours at night? BYOB?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Took my 10 year old tonight and had fun.

It's not a huge selection, but there are some real quality games offered. I'd say there was about 30-ish games there, and all in good condition.

They had the classics you expect/want: Galaga, Robotron, Frogger, Defender, Galaxian, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros., Dig Dug. They had two or three different Street Fighter II games, NBA Jams, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (but for only two players) and a couple of the NEO GEO fighting games that I could never tell apart.

The biggest surprises for me? Time Pilot and Willow. Holy crap, I haven't seen those games in over 20 years!

The owners were very friendly and there was a surprising number of people there tonight. And many of them were young (high school age).

All in all, I enjoyed it and will be back. Hopefully, they do well and can expand their game area to fit more machines.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.