Old Blinn location

2,074 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mathguy64
DisneyFan5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where was the original Blinn location? My sister attended in the early 1980's. She said it was in a two story building and she thinks it may have been off College Ave. I think it was maybe off 29th, but that may have been a later building.
UmustBKidding
She is probably thinking of the location on the SE corner of 28th street and S Main in downtown Bryan. The name changes from College Ave to Main just south of that location. They also had class rooms at the Woodstone center on harvey road in College station at that time. The 29th street location is much later.
techno-ag
AG
UmustBKidding said:

She is probably thinking of the location on the SE corner of 28th street and S Main in downtown Bryan. The name changes from College Ave to Main just south of that location. They also had class rooms at the Woodstone center on harvey road in College station at that time. The 29th street location is much later.

Yup. After downtown they were in Townshire Shopping Center. Had a place at Woodstone for a while. Nowadays they have the old Post Office near Cavitt, offices in Tejas near HEB, a building off 60, space at A&M's Health Science Center, the coming RELLIS old Riverside Campus building, as well as the main Bryan Campus near the old Schulman drive-in theater.
UmustBKidding
I hear they might still have one in Brenham, but obviously BCS is their cash cow.
RDH80
AG
Yes the old Kraft bldg which is now the Anderson Schaefer bldg in Bryan.
techno-ag
AG
UmustBKidding said:

I hear they might still have one in Brenham, but obviously BCS is their cash cow.
Yup. Couple other towns too.
DisneyFan5
Thanks for the info. That was the building we were looking for.
Mathguy64
AG
Originally Blinn started offering classes at the old Allen Academy campus. AKA the Women's Federal Prison. From there it moved to the Kraft Building. Then Woodstone got added then Townshire. The Post Office Campus got added, then the big consolidation of Woodstone and Townshire into the main Bryan Campus. That move was 21 years ago this December.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I attended classes in the Kraft Building in the mid 1970's. Took two algebra classes (one would transfer to A&M and the other didn't).

Teacher was an A&M grad student at A&M. His name was Sam Self. He could teach the heck out of algebra. I wish I knew where he is today. He was responsible for me to go on and get my degree.

Thanks Sam, you really helped me.

jello123
Few remember that Blinn College originally offered night classes in Bryan on the Allen Academy Campus on Ursuline Ave. (today a women's prison). Article from July 1970 Eagle. https://photos.app.goo.gl/19VlG4dBIGNH27Gt1
Mathguy64
AG
There are several faculty still teaching at Blinn who once taught in the Kraft Buidling. I do not believe anyone is left from the old Allen Academy days. J.B. Carrington passed away some time back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.