What is that loud boom noise...

4,141 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by threecatcorner
Love Gun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coming from the Kroger shopping center at Rock Prairie and Longmire? It is not coming from the construction at Graham and Longmire. I've heard it for a couple of weeks now
SchnauzerMom
The bird cannon?
Love Gun
What is a bird cannon???
SchnauzerMom
I know in the evenings they often shoot something off that sounds like a cannon to scare the birds away. I've always called it the bird cannon. Figured they might be doing so during the day since there is probably an increase in store traffic as people prepare for Thanksgiving.
AggieBarstool
Demon 8 said:

What is a bird cannon???
armymom
Yes, it's the bird cannon and my dog HATES it! I cringe every night he hears it and is terrified for hours! But I sympathize with those retailers...those birds are such a nuisance! But I really don't think the cannon helps at all! We hear it in the evening and it usually ends about 8pm.
threecatcorner
That stupid cannon is way more annoying than the birds are.
carpe vinum
AG
I can solve this problem for you guys for a modest fee.

Every few years those damn things put my place on their route.
Every few years I pull out a 410 and blast one.
Make sure the others see the one die (screaming obscenities and shaking the carcass at them is optional), but they will take that spot off their route for 3-4 years.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
Kitten With A Whip
I noticed recently that the Texas Avenue/Holleman Drive HEB has put nets on their trees, presumably to keep birds from perching in them. It seems to work. There are no birds and no evidence of them (poop) around the trees. Maybe someone can give the Kroger manager a nudge and have him contact HEB to get the details, etc.

I guess the birds just ignore the vacant College Station Kroger now? lol
The Brazos Kid
They want to go where the targets (cars) are...
threecatcorner
HEB also only has those nets on the trees that are by the closest spots. Birds can still use the ones that are further out in the lot. I never see an overwhelming number of birds there. People who park close have their cars protected, and there's not an ear-splitting horrible noise.

When there used to be a Kroger at Tx and SW Pkwy, I used to skip shopping there when that stupid thing was going off if I could remember the time to expect it. I tried calling the police nonemergency number about it, and even though it's too loud (over the decibel level limit for noise complaints), they said that they couldn't do anything because city hall/council had given a permit allowing it. Also when I complained to Kroger, they claimed it wasn't them but was the shopping center's landlord who had hired that cannon.

I think they should not allow it. It only temporarily scares off the birds, and it causes problems for nearby pets, babies, and presumably anyone with PTSD because it sounds like super-loud gunshots. I would also be surprised if it didn't cut into the profit of the restaurants in those shopping centers. There is no way I would stay long enough to eat with that horrible racket going on. I would think most people would find the noise distracting and/or frightening and would want to leave ASAP.
Love Gun
Completely agree. The first time I heard it a few weeks ago, I thought it was a gunshot. The only thing to convince me otherwise was watching the reactions of other people. I didn't see anyone panicking so I assumed it wasn't a gunshot.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
It's definitely the bird cannon. Although, in today's world, it might not be the wisest option to avoid scaring some people into thinking Red Dawn is going down in the Kroger parking lot as they scream "WOLVERINES!!!" and bolt for their vehicle.
FlyRod
After effects of a local chili cook off.
EVA3
AG
armymom said:

Yes, it's the bird cannon and my dog HATES it! I cringe every night he hears it and is terrified for hours! But I sympathize with those retailers...those birds are such a nuisance! But I really don't think the cannon helps at all! We hear it in the evening and it usually ends about 8pm.

Do you know who does NOT hate it? The birds.
Oogway
They need a hawk or falcon. That would take care of them.
armymom
I saw a hawk Saturday sitting on the wire just north of the Honey Baked Ham store on the feeder road. Guess it isn't helping!
DisneyFan5
The Kroger on Rock Prairie used to have trees in the parking lot along the front. They tried using nets on the trees, but they eventually just cut them down.

There is a car parked over on the Cotton Patch side, where you first turn in that is parked under a tree. I'm guessing that they are having car trouble because you can tell that it has been there a while. It is covered in bird poop.
PS3D
There's a sign at the door (put up in the last few days) of Kroger that mentions the "bird cannon", saying that the use of it is brief and it does not harm the birds.
EVA3
AG
When CSISD announced that the colors of the new high school were going to be purple and black, I just knew they were going to be the Grackels. That would have been awesome!
Kitten With A Whip
Oogway
CSHS has a small grackle population but nothing like the flock further up the road at Rock Prairie & Wellborn. If their flock ever grows, gonna be a lot of cars needing a wash...
kraut
AG
EVA3 said:

When CSISD announced that the colors of the new high school were going to be purple and black, I just knew they were going to be the Grackels. That would have been awesome!
That was the running joke in our office too!
threecatcorner
PS3D said:

There's a sign at the door (put up in the last few days) of Kroger that mentions the "bird cannon", saying that the use of it is brief and it does not harm the birds.

How about the humans? It's gotta be bad for your hearing and terrible for anyone with PTSD, as well as scaring and waking up infants.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.