Weird house on Angelina and Southwood

6,150 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by theycallmemrtibbs
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was walking yesterday and walked past this place, it looks like a small compound. Anyone know the story behind it?

Just kind of struck me as an odd setup so I thought the brain trust here might have some background.
TexAg1987
I believe it was originally built by an Architecture professor
91_Aggie
AG
Oh, man... I always wanted to walk through that house when I was in college. Forgot about it since I never travel that way anymore.
bobinator
AG
From the outside it looks like something out of a 1980's movie.
theycallmemrtibbs
Don't know the history of who built it but a couple of physicians have been living there for the past 30 years or so. Nice family. I think their daughter went onto medical school and is now in practice with them.
bobinator
AG
Is it all one house?
PS3D
My Dad always called it the "clown house". I thought it might have changed hands several times, at some point (this can be seen in the 2007 Street View), the pipes were repainted to gray before they were reverted to their original red later.
Oogway
Was the fountain running? When the fountain is running, it is really neat.
Aggie
AG
People have been asking questions about that house since the 80's
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I believe that home is owned by The Johnson family. One or both are indeed physicians in the area.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I like the house and they obviously keep it up.
chigger
AG
Could be wrong, but I always knew that as Malcom Quantrill's house. Architecture professor. He died a number of years ago.
Costa and Andreas
It's Dr Haywood Robinson and Dr Noreen Johnson, dear friends of ours.

We always rode our bmx bikes by in the 80's when we were kids. We called it Battlestar Galactica.
Swarely
My family always called it the "Super MARIO House". Probably cause of the pipes. I always meant to go knock on their door just to see if they would give me a tour.
techno-ag
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

It's Dr Haywood Robinson and Dr Noreen Johnson, dear friends of ours.

We always rode our bmx bikes by in the 80's when we were kids. We called it Battlestar Galactica.
Good people. Delivered a couple of our kids.
FlyRod
Raven
S
It was originally built by Jeff Parker.
duffelpud
AG
Well, they didn't vote for the current mayor.

Otherwise, here's a lot more than you probably wanted to know about the property.
"What's this button do?"
Bunk Moreland
you could have stopped at "weird house" in the subject and I would have known exactly what the thread was going to be about.
bobinator
AG
Haha, I did do for a forum search for "Angelina" to see if this had been brought up lately.

This is all good info, now someone that knows Dr. Robinson and Dr. Johnson take a camera and let's get a Cribs style tour of this place. In my head it looks like the starship Enterprise on the inside.
duffelpud
AG
"What's this button do?"
soso33
This thread is BRUTAL.

... sorry, just a little architecture joke
peggys
AG
Raven is correct, house was originally built by Jeff Parker.
74Aggie
studioone

you laugh...

but i've been inside..

there's a 'desk' thats a niche in the wall.. it has a 'console' like Spock's science station in the original series.. colored buttons, switches, knobs, 3-5 monitors etc... black plastic top, sides, and back... really looks like Gean Roddenberry made this desk.....

it was considered an 'art piece' by the original owner... not sure what actually functioned on it, but it looked like you could fire photon torpedos and bbq a tribble at the same time...
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Raven said:

It was originally built by Jeff Parker.
He was a young single guy from West Texas. He passed away during the 80's. His family had oil money. He was an architect that graduated from A&M.

His office was down the hall from mine at an office facility on the corner of Southwest Parkway and Anderson back in the day.

jello123
A little about the original owner and the home: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1UgKcdvV5J4h7Op12
Raven
S
All. Correct about Jeff. His family owned Parker Drilling which became public ally traded. Jeff origially lived in Wolf Run before he built his new house. He was a big supporter of the arts and Texas A & M. Died much too soon.
letterman72
AG
Quantrill lived at 1200 Langford. The house he lived in was built by the Langford family. Langford was a professor of architecture at A&M.
6-4-3
AG
Word on the street back in the 80s was that the Halloween parties at the Parker house were off the chain. I can neither confirm nor deny... was too young back then to have been inside.

That was a good article provided above. Thanks for that.
tmaggies
AG
Sounds like it belongs in Austin....
GoneGirl
AG
letterman72 said:

Langford was a professor of architecture at A&M.
I'd have never guessed that....

Enfield
I lived on Jennifer St (mid-90s) and that house always caught my eye. There were rumors about the original owner, but this is the first real info I've seen.
Thanks
techno-ag
AG
That's what we're here for.
theycallmemrtibbs
jello123 said:

A little about the original owner and the home: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1UgKcdvV5J4h7Op12
If Jeff lived here now he'd probably be inclined to burn the house down, move and forget he ever lived here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.