B/CS Residential Builders

7,466 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MisterShipWreck
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Which local builders would you put on the list for building a $110-130 sq ft type home?

Construction cost only, not including the lot.

Sponsor
AG
The lower end of that is going to be almost impossible to hit in the current builder's market. Currently just more demand than supply.

At the $130/foot price you'll be able to find some folks depending on your design and finish out. Maybe Pitman who I highly recommend if he can build for that. There are lots of new folks who have come into the market the last year or two. I'm sure some of them are there as they get their names out. I just don't have any personal experience with them.

Look forward to having you closer by.
rsa
AG
RNL Homes
Boro Ag 2000
AG
Magruder Homes

http://magruderhomes.com

atm86
AG
Stay away from Froehling.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Boro Ag 2000 said:

Magruder Homes

i haven't had a home built by them, but their gallery is pretty awesome and i've met the owner. good guy. (doesn't mean he builds a good home though obviously, just sayin).
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Boro Ag 2000 said:

Magruder Homes

Ive had one of his homes. 2011-2015

Very well built. Bought ~ new for $105/ft inc lot. in Castle Rock

No complaints.
AG
$130 is going to be low and I know where you're coming from. We sold our house in Castle Rock, last year, and it had appreciated from $93/ft to $135/ft not including the lot.

We recently broke ground on our new home and after pricing out several contractors, including a couple mentioned on this thread, the construction market is now in the $140/ft range and I had a bid come back as high as $160/ft. Again, no lot included.
PLC guy
atm86 said:

Stay away from the guy who has been building here 4 times as long and 10 times as many as any builder mentioned above? There are many good builders here in Bryan College Station. Froehling would be one of the few that would consider the OP's price point.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
My price point may not work unless I sub it out myself.

In the RGV I can get damn good construction for < $100 including contractor taking 12-15% if I finance 100% of construction. $85 net for 3,000 sq ft plus the dirt.

Apples to apples probably $125-130+ in BCS

God Bless these builders in BCS. They are cutting a fat hog square in the keister. I'd do the same if I had the energy.
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

In the RGV I can get damn good construction for < $100 including contractor taking 12-15% if I finance 100% of construction. $85 net for 3,000 sq ft plus the dirt.

God Bless these builders in BCS. They are cutting a fat hog square in the keister. I'd do the same if I had the energy.
Yup. The hurricane didn't help, either.
KaneIsAble
AG
Some of them are for sure.

I'm financing my build so I know the margin from the builder and he isn't getting rich off of me. It's the contractors that are charging so much. My family has businesses in that industry but it's back in small-town Texas and the prices here versus there are double i.e. framer is double per sq/ft, brick guy - 50% more, cabinets are 60% more.
Chris98
AG
Look for prices to start creeping down. Residential permits are way down. Lot of contractors will be looking to just stay busy
JP76
KaneIsAble said:

Some of them are for sure.

I'm financing my build so I know the margin from the builder and he isn't getting rich off of me. It's the contractors that are charging so much. My family has businesses in that industry but it's back in small-town Texas and the prices here versus there are double i.e. framer is double per sq/ft, brick guy - 50% more, cabinets are 60% more.

What is the going rate for framing in small town Texas ?
JP76
Chris98 said:

Look for prices to start creeping down. Residential permits are way down. Lot of contractors will be looking to just stay busy

Seasonality comes into play now with a lot of the work force heading south for vacation until January. That is why you see a lot of builders hold off on pouring in nov and dec.
JP76
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Excluding South Gate most existing real estate in BCS is currently selling for a minimum of $105-$115 excluding lot value so new construction is not going to happen for less per sq ft than what the current market is supporting.
KaneIsAble
AG
$5-6/ft
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Traditions, newer Pebble Creek, Indian Lakes, middle class Miramont, etc RESALES AND NEW MOVE-IN READY that we've looked at were ~ $160-200/sq ft all in

Pretty good margin and there are some REALLY nice homes out there. BCS has some great builders with good attention to details and little "extras"

KaneIsAble said:

$5-6/ft

So your bids were $10-$12 a ft labor framing new construction in BCS?

CrazyAgE
Boro Ag 2000 said:

Magruder Homes

Ha! We had them quote our house that we want to build and they came in at $230/sf!!! (Yep, no typo...and we already have our lot)

Yes, there were several high end upgrades but still if most were backed out it should have still been nowhere close to that. It shocked the hell out of us. My guess is that they just didn't want to do it and bid themselves out on purpose
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Actually guys look for construction prices to go up, not down!! The Hurricanes this season did a number on lumber and all other materials as well as labor. All are heading to affected areas
JP76
CrazyAgE said:

Boro Ag 2000 said:

Magruder Homes

Ha! We had them quote our house that we want to build and they came in at $230/sf!!! (Yep, no typo...and we already have our lot)

Yes, there were several high end upgrades but still if most were backed out it should have still been nowhere close to that. It shocked the hell out of us. My guess is that they just didn't want to do it and bid themselves out on purpose

What did other builders come in at ?
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
JP76 said:

KaneIsAble said:

$5-6/ft

So your bids were $10-$12 a ft labor framing new construction in BCS?

I can get real good framers here for $3.75-$4.15

But that doesn't count for **** when it's 400 miles away
AG
PLC guy said:

atm86 said:

Stay away from the guy who has been building here 4 times as long and 10 times as many as any builder mentioned above? There are many good builders here in Bryan College Station. Froehling would be one of the few that would consider the OP's price point.
Froehling's quality has come way down from his earlier days. Personal testimony about that. SO if you want a low price point, sure...but beware.
kevmiller
House prices .. New homes and existing are so inflated in BCS its ridiculous.

Lady my wife works with , their family just bought a nice house in Montgomery area near the lake for 160k... 160k in BCS won't get you anything.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
You can blame land prices in this town for that!!!
jja79
AG
I thought it was good to live in a market with appreciating values.
Aggie
AG
jja79 said:

Problem is everything is way way overpriced right now.. Especially the 150-250k houses and it's not going to stay that way forever.
Most buyers are not wanting to pay inflated price then when they want resell in a few years and market doesn't support what they paid
JP76
Aggie said:

jja79 said:

Problem is everything is way way overpriced right now.. Especially the 150-250k houses and it's not going to stay that way forever.
Most buyers are not wanting to pay inflated price then when they want resell in a few years and market doesn't support what they paid

Define overpriced ?
Compared to what ?
Houston?
Austin?
East coast ?

As long as there are 60,000 students needing housing BCS will continue to be mostly sheltered from housing price decline in 200k and under starter houses.Go back to 2007-2009 and see how much lower range housing dropped compared to the rest of Texas and the country. And if it didn't fall much during the biggest housing decline in US history then what is going to make it decline ? While prices have increased it has been a steady 3-5% per year for most properties excluding South Gate. Welcome to the world of inflation.
Pilotmatt_00
The guys at Blackstone can build in that price range. I spoke with Jeremiah their number is 979-696-4663.
jja79
AG
Honest question. How do you know the market in the future won't support it?
ontheedge
The problem in the 150-200 k range is inventory or lack there of. Most lot development isn't for that price range.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Im amazed at how many homes in the $500-600k range are selling. Historically its been relatively uncommon for builders to be building spec homes in that price range but they are and theyre selling.
AG
Pilotmatt_00 said:

The guys at Blackstone can build in that price range. I spoke with Jeremiah their number is 979-696-4663.
Rookie with 1 post?
Pilotmatt_00
You gotta start somewhere...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.