College View High School funding

4,049 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by threecatcorner
sparkyking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Open records request was made on College View HS for CSISD

Cost to build $12,993,609.00

Opened 2016

Operating cost 2016 $1,376,168.00
Enrollment 2016 60 kids
Staff 2016 14.5

Operating cost 2017 $1,557,223.00
Enrollment 2017 104 kids
Staff 2017 17.5

These were the numbers submitted by CSISD. Even if the numbers were submitted correctly we the tax payer are paying $22,936.00 per kid in 2016 and $14,973 in 2017.
Anyone with knowledge will tell you this $$ amount per kid is unheard of.

This was a pet project of the superintendent and board president V Jochen.

Looking closer at these numbers they are not entirely correct. The staff numbers and enrollment numbers are false.
Oogway
[If we remove a post or change a thread title, please do not reference what was removed. We try to keep unsubstantiated rumors or accusations to a minimum on this board. -Staff]
cslifer
How are the "numbers false"? I would like to see a bit of proof before I believe that.
UmustBKidding
The bond for what is now CV was under used car Eddie's tenure. But the current super is his hand groomed and anointed successor. No search necessary, they best guy is already here. The bond for CV was for an improved facility for Timber & Venture not a AP/Dual credit campus. But that is not what was implemented or the current vision. Basically its an attempt to keep up with the competition (the Bryan Collegiate program ) When they told the teachers the new vision they were not happy. The new plan was to take the AP and dual credit students out of the existing schools and move them to CV and send the venture and timber back to the regular high school campuses. So they have few students, most parents of students that would participate in they programs the new CV offers also want access to other programs like athletics, band and other fine arts they don't offer. Bryan has also recruited in CS trying to keep their program numbers up and that for sure was not popular with CS central office.
I am told that the plan is still move the alternate track programs (timber/venture) back to CSHS & AMCHS and to recruit more advanced students from those facilities to the programs at CV. The cost per program student at CV is astronomical because the enrollment is nil, and will continue to be. They are attempting to serve a group that is already well served and abandoning the people that I voted to throw a lifeline to by voting yes in the bond issue.

sparkyking
The building is designed for 300 students. The current enrollment is closer to 36 kids and is fully staffed for a full building. The alternative programs are being moved back to the current high schools next year (Venture and Timber). Dual credit classes are taught currently at both high schools and thriving. Like Umustbkidding said.
Also this is the only campus that is Unsatisfactory in CSISD. The sandbox was not needed and was a pet project to the past and current superintendent and V Jochen. The experiment is over........Quit wasting our tax payer dollars on a losing venture. The district is begging students to go there and they don't want to. I believe wasting 1.5 million of our dollars yearly could be better spent.

By the way I voted against it...

UmustBKidding is spot on and well informed
sparkyking
Numbers are a touchy subject. Ask one of the teachers in the know on the side.....Will be tough to find because they fear reprecussions from the administration or stop by and take a look your self... Don't know how else to prove it to you?
MiMi
S
Isn't Venture Center at CVHS is where DAEP and LEAP is located. What is Timber?
Oogway
What if they did move the AP programs to only one school? Maybe instead of trying to make all the schools the same, the northernmost school could be the most academically challenging? I understand your point about extracurricular activities but perhaps some discussion about it needs to take place? As it stands right now, it seems as if either no one is happy or it is just a few and they are making a lot of noise. The amount of toxicity regarding the schools and change has been somewhat disheartening.
TAMU1990
AG
Incredible waste of money. I'll be curious to see what the new charter school does to the district's enrollment. And I have also heard the enrollment of 36 students. Does the district get to those higher enrollment numbers by adding transient students; i.e., students who may have only been there six weeks?
threecatcorner
Currently Timber is still there (sort of; the name might be gone). They are letting the students who were already at Timber stay there and finish their program, but that's not very many people. Timber was almost entirely juniors and seniors and only had around 50 students, so it's probably 20 or 30 kids who were juniors last year and are finishing their senior years there this year under Timber's guidelines.
threecatcorner
The main problem, mentioned by a few people above is that the bond election seems to have been a bait and switch.

The bond basically said that Timber was a good program/school and needed to expand and renovate a little and that the school district was given first option when the College Station Conference Center (which used to be next door) was condemned. I think that splitting Timber (academic alternative school) out from Venture and LEAP (disciplinary alternative campuses that kids are sent to temporarily) was part of the bond.

After the bond was approved and the school district bought the land (or conference center; I am not sure which organization knocked down the old conference center gor the school expansion), they decided to basically get rid of Timber Academy and create College View instead.

So if you voted in favor of the bond because you thought it was important to have a drop-out prevention program, you might feel tricked by them using the money for a totally different project. I feel that way.

I just met someone recently who said she had graduated from Timber and couldn't have graduated from Consol. It did make a difference in some people's lives and they shouldn't have scrapped it, especially while tricking the voters into thinking that they would be expanding it.
cslifer
So...does anybody have any proof whatsoever that CSISD is exaggerating the enrollment numbers by 288 percent?
AgCFP
AG
If you look on the TEA website for CVHS and the numbers reported to TEA for last year(2016-2017) it shows 38 students. Yet the numbers given to the taxpayers by the district show 60 students for the same time period. Sounds like someone is cooking the numbers to me.
Ornlu
AG
cslifer said:

So...does anybody have any proof whatsoever that CSISD is exaggerating the enrollment numbers by 288 percent?
From TEA's website:

TEA reports 26 students, CSISD reports 60. One of them is wrong....
No one is zoned for CV. You apply for your child to attend. I think that the enrollment will grow as more people learn about it but that is an educated guess. I know that we would have seriously considered it for our child had it had a music program. CV had art classes but no music.

There is a certain amount of minimum admin staff needed regardless of the number of kids that attend so if you are worried about per student cost, the rate comes down as more kids are enrolled.
AgCFP
AG
1.618 said:

No one is zoned for CV. You apply for your child to attend. I think that the enrollment will grow as more people learn about it but that is an educated guess. I know that we would have seriously considered it for our child had it had a music program. CV had art classes but no music.

There is a certain amount of minimum admin staff needed regardless of the number of kids that attend so if you are worried about per student cost, the rate comes down as more kids are enrolled.
Well according to the administration we already have over a hundred kids at CVHS! That should help bring down the average cost per student. If only we could trust our current administration, because we can't verify their numbers based on what they report to TEA!
bloom
I have 3 main issues with College View:
I agree that the Timber concept should still be in place, and that is definitely what everyone assumed would be the case when College View was initially proposed. I know a number of students who attended Timber who might have otherwise dropped out of school.

Why would you move the Venture and LEAP students back to the main HS campuses? Those students (and their fellow students) are usually best served if the student is removed from the main campus environment and their peers. I would like to know the HS admin opinions (honest, off the record) concerning this decision.

I do not understand College View's "application" process. Are they a magnet with specified enrollment criteria? If they are not a true magnet, then all applicants should go into a lottery with a drawing for open spots. Public schools are not allowed to pick and choose who they will serve. Even magnet campuses normally have a published application matrix so the community knows how students are chosen. Charter schools in Texas are NOT allowed to request student transcripts prior to admission. If College View is going to have an "admission process" they need to publish their detailed matrix. Link to their application: https://1.cdn.edl.io/8hJE0JeOAdSYj9oWcPAR03FWgYXvKN8sysfO3BDgpKNLLilv.pdf

Example of matrix for a real magnet/alternative program: http://www.houstonisd.org/Page/135803
threecatcorner
Ornlu said:

cslifer said:

From TEA's website:

TEA reports 26 students, CSISD reports 60. One of them is wrong....

That image only shows grades 9 and 10.

The difference between the 2 numbers is probably whether or not they include the small number of remaining Timber students. They would all be in grades 11 or 12.
Ornlu
AG
TEA doesn't have a number for grades 11 and 12. Its zero. I didn't cut that image off, it's blank on TEAs site. Search it for yourself if you'd like.
threecatcorner
I believe you that TEA only includes grades 9 and 10 for College View. I think those are the only grades that actually are College View students.

However, the district has allowed at least some of the existing Timber students to finish up over there. My guess is that the numbers that CSISD is providing to the public on their own site does include both the actual "College View" students and any remaining Timber students, without splitting the information into 4 grades or 2 categories (College View and Timber).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.