Otters!

4,072 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by chucktheaggiejeweler
Red Krow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't know they lived around here. There is a very large dead otter on Villa Maria. It's next to the sidewalk by Turkey creek. I love finding out about neat wildlife we have around here. I wonder if they can get that big living in turkey creek or if it wondered from the brazos.
Jinx
That'd be interesting. You're certain it wasn't a nutria?
FlyRod
Otters require a fair amount of fish in their diet. Do our little local creeks have those?

We definitely have nutrias...have seen those hideous beasts around.
Red Krow
Nope definitly an otter. I've seen plenty of Nutria but never an otter in the wild.
Red Krow
I'd be surprised if he got that big in the creek that's why I'm thinking maybe he came from the brazos. Not sure how far they travel.
momlaw
AG
River Otters
momlaw
marrocco
There are river otters (and a placard identifying them as such) in the Wolf Pen Creek walk behind Sonic/Rudy's/etc. I've seen what moved a lot like an otter crossing Briarcrest heading to the wetland area behind the Exxon on 30.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Not the first River otter seen near Villa Maria heading to SH47 and wont be the last. Saw three heading down through the grass to THompson creek. THey seem to come from the ponds and lakes by Brazos Christian academy heading down to the river.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
ringrit
Peach Creek Winery has posted pictures of the otters that live in the pond/lake behind their winery. You can check their facebook page to see them!
FlyRod
The wildlife around BCS are amazing...glad to know otters are part of it. Saw my first caracara around town, and I've only seen those close to Austin in the past. There are at least 4 different birds of prey in my 'hood, and they are welcome to all the squirrels and chihuahuas they can carry off.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Red Krow said:

I'd be surprised if he got that big in the creek that's why I'm thinking maybe he came from the brazos. Not sure how far they travel.
Uber?
JustPanda
AG
We have beavers in Austin county. They cut the **** out of cottonwoods near the creeks.
KidDoc
AG
My wife saw some logs and such in Lick Creek that she thought would be due to Otters and I told her no way they could live here. That was the day the Lick Creek nature center opened up and we asked some of the nature experts that were there and they confirmed that Otters live here.

I did see a big ole nutria while I was playing golf at Phillip's event center one evening so I could see how they could look similar aside from the nappy tail.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BillE1976
AG
I live on Lake Conroe. We have River Otters in the lake. I don't see them often but can tell when the are around. I will find catfish stripped to the bone on my dock. Heard from a wildlife expert that says they like to follow beavers. They will let them build the habitat, then kill the beavers and take over the habitat.
hurleyag
AG
Saw him on my run this afternoon. I think the size was in part due to bloating.
AggiePhil
AG
No otter in the zoo only nutria, beaver, and seal.
R.R. Ag
We have otters all over Brazos County.
Indian Lakes and Nantucket both havevthem in their Lakes.
DBSwooper
We had Otters at Coulter Field a number of times.

(Not that one exactly, but same idea, jump door...)
AggiePhil
AG
That's a twin otter. Extremely rare to see in the wild.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
As cool as they are, around here they are deadly to fish in small ponds. They will hang out and gorge themselves and then move onto the next pond. Generations ago, they were aggressively trapped in Brazos County. I came across one last year in NE Brazos County. They're still here.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.