SH40 Traffic lights

2,521 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by InMyOpinion
Bob2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sitting at a traffic light for almost a minute without a single car going through the intersection while cars waiting to come out of the neighborhood appear to wait through two cycles does not make sense. Why are these not fixed yet?
Oogway
Do you mean at SH40 & Victoria? That intersection is really weird. I have seen traffic back up in Castlegate pretty far but then at other times, east/west bound on 40 has to sit for enough time to eat a Spicy Chicken sandwich, waffle fries and swallow a breath mint before the light changes. Perhaps you could reach out to Mr. Rother at the CoCS traffic division and see if he has an answer for you.

Troy Rother
Nine seven nine 764 - thirty six ninety

or trother (at) cstx.gov

Sinuso
AG
The theoretical computer models used by TTI say the traffic flows are perfect and can't be improved upon. Please accept that their knowledge is superior to "anecdotal evidence" and move on....
MisterShipWreck

SARATOGA
Quote:

Sitting at a traffic light for almost a minute without a single car going through the intersection while cars waiting to come out of the neighborhood appear to wait through two cycles does not make sense. Why are these not fixed yet?

I think the College Station Planning and Zoning and the College Station Traffic 'Engineers' would argue that the lights were functioning perfectly. You were completely still and not a danger to other drivers, and not causing an accident so the above incident received a score of 100/100 on a safety measure. In fact, just stay at your house and don't drive anywhere. That is the safest alternative. But if you insist for some reason on driving citizen then they are going to put a stoplight every 100 feet and slow the speed limit down to a crawl to discourage anyone from attempting to drive east or west. All traffic must be diverted to the highway, which is slowing down nicely according to their master "plan"

ontheedge
I sat at a light for awhile like the OP and wondered if pressure plates in the roadway are no longer used. I saw no evidence at the intersection I was at. Anyone know?
95_Aggie
AG
Saratoga ... it's like the bat signal went up.
Oogway
I don't know. I like those things, though. Nice for the night owls and early birds in town.

If SH 40 (aka Fitch) is a TXDOT road, at what point is the City allowed/able to insert local control to adjust things like lights to meet the needs of the locals that use the road the most?
If the City's hands are tied, then Mr Abbott can tell TXDOT to come on over and get to work.
Expert Analysis
AG
TTI has nothing to do with it, neither does TxDOT. COCS and COB control all of the lights in town except for those on the frontage roads. I would contact them until they get it right.

In pavement sensors are not used as much any more. Cameras or other remote sensors are used, you can see the cameras up by the lights. A new light the COCS just put in is using radar units and they detect cars great, they are mounted by the vertical part of the light pole and shot across the road. Unfortunately the timing/cycles at the new intersection are not optimal...

Most intersection have some form of fixed timing cycle. They can be supplemented with vehicle detection, or run based purely off detection. A combination system will provide the best level of service. Unfortunately systems do not always work properly, intersections equipped for detection are not actually using it, and/or the timings/cycles are just poor.

MiMi
S
Quote:

TTI has nothing to do with it, neither does TxDOT. COCS and COB control all of the lights in town except for those on the frontage roads.
Not correct. TxDOT controls the timing of the lights on Hwy 40 and other state roadways, the city only maintains them.
Ornlu
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

TTI has nothing to do with it, neither does TxDOT. COCS and COB control all of the lights in town except for those on the frontage roads.
Not correct. TxDOT controls the timing of the lights on Hwy 40 and other state roadways, the city only maintains them.

Citation needed.

I've seen CoCS's control infrastructure with my own eyes. They run it from a glass room at City Hall. They are certainly controlling the Wellborn road, 2818, and Texas Ave signals. The signal control structure is fully digital, highly automated, and manipulate from the city traffic command center.
Expert Analysis
AG
Feel free to contact TxDOT so they can redirect you to the cities...
aginresearch
AG
Based upon my conversation with a TXDOT engineer except for frontage roads all other signals are controlled by the respective cities. Call the cities if you have issues with signal timing.
monkeyaround
Ornlu, I think you may be mistaken or you're eyes have deceived you. A glass traffic control room does not exist at City Hall
Ornlu
AG
monkeyaround said:

Ornlu, I think you may be mistaken or you're eyes have deceived you. A glass traffic control room does not exist at City Hall
Sorry, meant City municipal court building. The one at 300 Krenek Tap Rd.
InMyOpinion
Tread carefully or the COCS will decide to add a "Traffic Light Maintenance" fee.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.