College Station FORMER MAYORS ENDORSE 3 CANDIDATES FOR CITY COUNCIL

4,599 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 02skiag
AC Hopper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
"During each local election cycle since 2010 the Committee of Former College Station Mayors have discussed the pros and cons of each candidate seeking a seat on the City Council. The Committee is open to any former College Station mayor not currently serving in an elected position."

"The Committee is keenly aware of the growth our City is experiencing and the need for visionary planning and development that is required to manage such growth. We think Linda Harvell, Bob Brick, and John Nichols are best prepared to represent these interests. The Committee feels strongly that a healthy community is one that has a good balance of quality neighborhoods and well thought out development in keeping with the City's vision."

"With the above in mind, the Committee of Former College Station Mayors is pleased to endorse the candidacy of Linda Harvell, Bob Brick, and John Nichols for College Station City Council."

/s/
Lorence Bravenac
Gary Halter
Larry Ringer
Lynn McIhaney
Ben White

duffelpud
AG
And there's your list of who NOT to vote for.

Thanks former mayors!

"What's this button do?"
redd38
AG
duffelpud said:

And there's your list of who NOT to vote for.

Thanks former mayors!

Unless they knew you wouldn't vote for the candidates they endorse, so they endorsed the candidates they want to lose.

carpe vinum
AG
They sure do think highly of themselves.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
Oogway
Inconceivable!
02skiag
AG
In other words, those candidates are of similar age and aren't affected by tax increases just like them.
duffelpud
AG
"What's this button do?"
txgardengirl
my guess is that they endorsed based on the fact that they read the campaign finance reports filed!!!
Belton Ag
AG
carpe vinum said:

They sure do think highly of themselves.
Have you never met Gary Halter?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
AC Hopper said:

/s/
Lorence Bravenac
Gary Halter
Larry Ringer
Lynn McIhaney
Ben White

Could not find a larger group of taxpayer money hand out artist than that.

Only name missing is that guy that had the arts building named after him and was convicted and ran out of town to the Northeast US.

If I was a candidate being endorsed by this group, I would pay to have them NOT to endorse me.

re Gary Halter

Have you never met Gary Halter?

Yes, I have and would call him a friend but we are 180 apart.
Would never vote for him.

I went to high school with one of the above named people and that person was elected as a conservative but quickly changed after elected.

duffelpud
AG
Quote:

Yes, I have and would call him a friend but we are 180 apart.

I recommend you wear a rear-view mirror when mowing your yard.
"What's this button do?"
biobioprof
from what I can tell it's the usual realtors vs nimbys, right?
AC Hopper
S
Hard to say this time around.
Did you vote?
Polls are open til 7.
duffelpud
AG
VOTE!

Only your pocketbook is in jeopardy.
"What's this button do?"
FlyRod
Very good night for the former mayors' team It seems.
montegobay
Yep. The out of control spending will continue. If you didn't vote, you are part of the problem.
02skiag
AG
There was too much apathy. I'm not sure anyone else in my office bothered to vote or even think about it. The aging side of the population always makes a point to do their duty and I assume they sided moreso with the winners. I probably would too if my taxes were frozen, I like nice things too.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

There was too much apathy.
Roughly 5,000 people determined who will decide tax and spend policies on a population of over 100,000.
"What's this button do?"
FlyRod
Elections have consequences.
lost my dog
duffelpud said:

Quote:

There was too much apathy.
Roughly 5,000 people determined who will decide tax and spend policies on a population of over 100,000.
Welcome to the United States.

And you know, you seem to have plenty of time on your hands, making funny gifs and photo captions. Have you ever thoiught of running for city council?
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

And you know, you seem to have plenty of time on your hands, making funny gifs and photo captions. Have you ever thoiught of running for city council?

I'm not 65 yet and I don't have three thousand friends with "more special" tax status to vote me into office. I'm also not a government-school {aka CSISD} employee or former employee or a city employee or pensioner with skin in the game of extracting more and more tax dollars to pay for me and mine. I'm just one of the sorry saps who works hard to pay for all those feeding at the public trough, and I'm very close to moving out of this county so somebody else can slop the hogs - maybe five more years and I'll be done. When enough "more special" animals have populated the city they can start tearing each other apart to keep the trough full.

"What's this button do?"
lost my dog
duffelpud said:

I'm not 65 yet and I don't have three thousand friends with "more special" tax status to vote me into office. I'm also not a government-school employee or former employee or a city employee or pensioner with skin in the game of extracting more and more tax dollars to pay for me and mine. I'm just one of the sorry saps who works hard to pay for all those feeding at the public trough, and I'm very close to moving out of this county so somebody else can slop the hogs - maybe five more years and I'll be done. When enough "more special" animals have populated the city they can start tearing each other apart to keep the trough full.

Hmm, I would only point out that the taxes/fees you pay to the city only pay for city employees and projects. The majority of your property taxes go to the ISD. The fact that CSISD is so desirable means you'll be able to sell your house easily when you move out.

You don't pay for TAMU stuff except very indirectly through sales tax.

As for pensioners, that's too amorphous a group discuss where they get their money from.

I agree that giving seniors a property tax freeze on the grounds that they have a "fixed income" seems unfair. As I recall that freeze was voted in place in a year when the University gave no raises, so all University employees were on a fixed income too. Somehow their property taxes weren't frozen that year.

But I don't think this election turned on property taxes

Rexter
The whole "fixed income" thing is a load of crap. I'd say darn near everyone is on a fixed income. Who out there can decide to make more in a whim?
carpe vinum
AG
Many can make a significant amount more if they leave.
That is the trump card yet to be played.
Many choose to stay here making less by a good percentage than they could make elsewhere.

Don't kid yourself, fiscal conservatives are not running for office.

You have to pick between which camp you want your never ending taxes/fees to go toward.

Do you want more city services focused on the public, or do you want more city services focused on development.

It really is that simple.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

The whole "fixed income" thing is a load of crap.

The last time someone played that card I responded, "at least yours is fixed; mine is damned variable!"
"What's this button do?"
02skiag
AG
I don't have a problem with seniors having a tax freeze. We'll all be in their shoes one day. What I have a problem with is someone with a tax freeze deciding how to spend my money. How can that possibly go wrong?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.