Aggieland
Sponsored By

Chicken fried steak

gigem70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
Where can I go in CS for a really good chicken fried steak?
BCStalk
A
I don't know about CS but Feed Barn in Bryan is good. Not open on Sunday though.
OutdoorsAg_10
V
AG
Take a short drive out to snook and eat at sodolaks. Their CFS is dang good.

Longhorn tavern in Bryan is also good and has a great lunch special.
eloc62
A
Yeah, it's pretty much Longhorn,Feed Barn, or Sodolak's in this town for the best cfs restaurant. have had a cfs at each one.all are good. Still think mine is better than all theirs ,cooked in my cast iron skillet breaded with flour, egg wash, and crushed up saltine crackers.
Oddity
V
My girlfriend absolutely loves Chicken Fried Steak. Sodalaks is her go to place. However, this past week we went to Cotton Patch Cafe and she was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.
OutdoorsAg_10
V
AG
I was just about to say something about cotton patch. To me, theirs is almost better than other places because it's a thicker cut of meat.
LJF78
A
OutdoorsAg_10 said:

I was just about to say something about cotton patch. To me, theirs is almost better than other places because it's a thicker cut of meat.

This.. CFS at longhorn is paper thin.. The crust is thicker than the steak.
No thanks
stinkerbelle
V
My daughter pretty much only eats CFS when we go out to eat (other than Mexican food restaurant) and her favorite around here in Cotton Patch. Not sure why but the Bryan Cotton Patch seems to be better than the College Station Cotton Patch also.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
L
AG
I'm a CFS nut and on the local scene Cotton Patch is my go-to. Love it. Some days its REALLY REALLY good, other days its pretty good. Never had it average or bad though.

CFS, mac n cheese, and mashed potatoes plus endless rolls!
OutdoorsAg_10
V
AG
So question is, where not to order a CFS?
aggmaroon
H
AG
The Republic has the best CFS
Muzzleblast
A
Drive to Yankees Tavern in Carlos.

E.O.T.
gettingitdone
A
Cotton Patch is my #1 choice for CFS followed by Feed Barn. I have never been a fan of the one at Longhorn.
snaglepuss
P
+1 Bryan Cotton Patch.
FlyRod
L
Quote:

The Republic has the best CFS

Chicken fried oysters FTW.
Oogway
A
eloc62 said:

...... Still think mine is better than all theirs ,cooked in my cast iron skillet breaded with flour, egg wash, and crushed up saltine crackers.
You have my attention, go on...

**that is a hint for a recipe.
Heismenberg
H
AG
I love Cotton Patch CFS. Sodolak's is pretty good too. I'm not the biggest Texas Roadhouse fan, but I really lile their chicken fried steak. Not a big fan of their actual steaks though.
skeetboy3
A
AG
sodolack's is great
eloc62
A
Oogway said:

eloc62 said:

...... Still think mine is better than all theirs ,cooked in my cast iron skillet breaded with flour, egg wash, and crushed up saltine crackers.

Well, since you asked... I season my tenderized cube steaks with the "Fiesta" brand steak seasoning found at HEB plus black pepper. standard breading procedure. flour, egg wash with either a little milk or water. i prefer milk, then into crushed up saltine cracker crumbs. I put saltine crackers into a freezer bag and crush them with a kitchen mallet or rolling pin. you don't want to crush them into dust, just make them nice and small. you will get some dust, but thats ok. let breaded steaks sit on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. this helps to adhere the breading to the steak so it will not fall off during frying. heat just enough oil to cover the steaks in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees. fry them for 3 minutes, turning them over halfway thru. let drain on wire rack. serve with cream gravy, french fries, Texas toast, and pinto beans. good eats!
Kitten With A Whip
L
eloc62 said:

Oogway said:

eloc62 said:

Well, since you asked... I season my tenderized cube steaks with the "Fiesta" brand steak seasoning found at HEB plus black pepper. standard breading procedure. flour, egg wash with either a little milk or water. i prefer milk, then into crushed up saltine cracker crumbs. I put saltine crackers into a freezer bag and crush them with a kitchen mallet or rolling pin. you don't want to crush them into dust, just make them nice and small. you will get some dust, but thats ok. let breaded steaks sit on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. this helps to adhere the breading to the steak so it will not fall off during frying. heat just enough oil to cover the steaks in a cast iron skillet to 350 degrees. fry them for 3 minutes, turning them over halfway thru. let drain on wire rack. serve with cream gravy, french fries, Texas toast, and pinto beans. good eats!
That's how my mom made her CFS! I have never seen or heard of anyone else making it that way.
techno-ag
L
AG
Bryan Cotton Patch off Boonville.

Sodolak's near intersection of Hwy 21 & 6.
Oogway
A
Thank you! You have some tips I am going to try. My grandmother made an awesome CFS and your initial description sounded a lot like hers, but I just hadn't been able to get it quite right.
Thanks!
ethridgem
V
AG
I recently had the CFS at The Western Club in Navasota and thought it was excellent!
gigem70
A
AG
Took a ride out to Snook for some CFS last night and they had closed early for Halloween. Ended up at Longhorn instead. CFS was good but the chocolate meringue pie was outstanding.

I plan on going back to Sodolaks in the next few days and giving it a try.
TxElsie
L
AG
The Country Skillet off Tabor Rd in Bryan used to have a great CFS and a heck of a lunch special, but according to the internet, they've closed.
Chris98
A
AG
On Tuesdays, Franks Country Store. The Cameron Ranch Store, off of Tabor Rd, also has good chicken fried
snaglepuss
P
^Long time ago. Now it's Sloppy Joe's.
Eliminatus
L
Finally a topic I feel like an expert on. I am a CFS freak. A measure of a restaurant for me is their CFS. Go somewhere, I HAVE to try it if a place offers it.

Hands down here in BCS, is Cotton Patch. All the above are not lying. It is damned good. Not sure if it is the best I've had, but it ain't far either. And that INCLUDES homemade.

Consistent, amazing taste, good price too. Plus its not on Restaurant Row so no need to stress about parking or huge loud crowds either.
kyledr04
H
AG
J Cody's
Kyle '04
Kitten With A Whip
L
Eliminatus said:

Finally a topic I feel like an expert on. I am a CFS freak. A measure of a restaurant for me is their CFS. Go somewhere, I HAVE to try it if a place offers it.

Hands down here in BCS, is Cotton Patch. All the above are not lying. It is damned good. Not sure if it is the best I've had, but it ain't far either. And that INCLUDES homemade.

Consistent, amazing taste, good price too. Plus its not on Restaurant Row so no need to stress about parking or huge loud crowds either.
It's not a bad CFS, but the lack of home made gravy is an issue for me. I loathe packaged pepper gravy. In that regard,

Sodolaks is a better CFS. I would say that Sodolaks has the best CFS in town, but not the best I have ever had.
CrazyAgE
H
I love the CfS at Texas Roadhouse...especially with their gravy
snaglepuss
P
Eliminatus said:

Plus on Monday's it is $9.99 dine in. That is where we like to go for a Monday night special.
88agg
V
AG
Sodalaks in Bryan or Wings n More on University or Willies Icehouse is good also.
jks08
H
AG
Blackwater Draw on Wednesdays
gigem70
A
AG
Finally made it out to Sodolaks in Snook last night and the CFS was excellent. I would advise you to order the small, which is certainly not small.
Page 1 of 2

Verify your student status
See Membership Benefits >