Best menudo in town?

5,062 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Carny89
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the change in weather I have got a MAJOR craving for it this weekend. Looking for recs. Yelp has been less than helpful so far.
FlyRod
Good luck. I undertook this quest years ago, and haven't found it. The issue is consistency. The best I've found is Sal's Garpez...about 75% of the time. La Carreta is good...about 50% of the time. El Sol de Mexico is terrible. At mi Familia Coco Loco it was served cold. Haven't tried the new place, Cilantro, but hear good things.

"Good" menudo (and I know people reject that concept) must have the "stuff" in small pieces, totally soft, and without that "special" taste and smell. This is very very hard to get right consistently. Sal's Garpez seems to hit it right more than others.

Happy hunting.
Carny89
La familia in Bryan. I've had everyone's in town. It's the best.
gettingitdone
The only two places I will eat it from is Casa Rod and La Botana. Fly Rod is right though,,,,it the tripe isn't cleaned correctly, it does taste funny and give the overall bowl a bad smell.
stinkerbelle
My brother in law is Hispanic and the only Menudo he will eat in a Restaurant is La Botana.
Cancelled
AG
I make my own. It's pretty simple, just tastes a while.
DimeBox17
AG
I've never had restaurant mendo because my grandmother has always cooked it. I tried Polly's Cocina menudo about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty dang good.
AggieBarstool
+1 La Botana.

Garpez (gas station) is pretty decent.

I also like Coco Loco (by Consol) if I don't want to drive to La Botana.
FlyRod
Welp, now I have to give La Botana a go.
Eliminatus
AG
Thanks for the recs everyone. Seems to be pretty spread out though.

Guess I'll just have to try them all in the end!
Carny89
A lot depends on consistency like someone mentioned. Botana is good, but they leave a lot of bay leaf at times. La famila great. Tortillas great too. Botana has great tortillas. Try the homemade corn at la famila. Not the plain corn. The homemade is great.
rhoswen
AG
I love El Sol menudo, but it's been a few years.

I never did understand how anyone could like La Botana for anything and I'm actually really surprised it's still open.
Carny89
Botana is very good. They have some of the best tortillas in town. I always get bacon and over medium eggs and papas. Done.
DimeBox17
AG
I don't mind botana but holy **** why do they cook their bacon to the point where it's hard to even bite into it.
halibut sinclair
La Botana
wreckncrew
AG
In college, I would go after church to a Mexican family's home for menudo. That's the best way to do it. :-)
halibut sinclair
Cilantro in DT Bryan has menudo.
Staind72
Pepper's Cocina on HWY 21& N.SIMS
Delicious home cooking, great atmosphere, good service.
It's 2 older ladies that cooks. The way they cook reminds me of my mother in laws cookin. While ur there try the beef enchiladas. We only go to Pepper's Cocina for good real authentic Home Cookin.

DimeBox17
AG
Staind72 said:

It's 2 older ladies that cooks. The way they cook reminds me of my mother in laws cookin. While ur there try the beef enchiladas. We only go to Pepper's Cocina for good real authentic Home Cookin.

Dang this reminds me of the original Mi Cocina(currently Polly's Cocina on Rock Prairie/Wellborn) that was once at this location.

Also, even though my father is Mexican I have never tried caldo. Can someone explain the taste and what it usually consists of?
texasaggie18
AG
Being from Laredo, Tx I am always on the search for the mexican food that is like home. Best one I have had flavor wise is from La Perla Meat Market in Bryan (right behind dowtown area). On Sunday mornings you find locals lining up for barbacoa, carnitas and menudo.
FlyRod
Quote:

Also, even though my father is Mexican I have never tried caldo. Can someone explain the taste and what it usually consists of?

Caldo is much "safer" than menudo, for gringos at least. Consists of a clear broth, chicken or beef, with pieces of chicken or beef and various vegetables...usually a piece of corn on the cob, onions, carrots, and zucchini. Never spicy...basic comfort food you might crave when you have a bad cold.
AggieBarstool
OutdoorsAg_10 said:

Staind72 said:

Dang this reminds me of the original Mi Cocina(currently Polly's Cocina on Rock Prairie/Wellborn) that was once at this location.

I think of caldo like a beef stew.
Menudo -- we all know what that is.
And pozole is like a stew made of the same broth & chili that's in menudo.

All three are delicious for different reasons.
FlyRod
Well put. Though I've seen more caldo de pollo than caldo de res...but both are nice. And unlike menudo and posole, easy to make.
AggieBarstool
FlyRod said:

Well put. Though I've seen more caldo de pollo than caldo de res...but both are nice. And unlike menudo and posole, easy to make.
Hmm, I can't think of the last time I've seen clado de pollo offered somewhere. It's all about the beef, apparently!
FlyRod
I've had it at La Carreta and Sal's Garpez. Both good, better at the former.
Eliminatus
AG
Tried La Botana's last week. Was pretty damn good, although I will say that the tripe to broth/hominy ratio was WAY in favor of tripe. If I had more than 20 pieces of hominy total I would be shocked. And about half the chunks were cut larger than I prefer. Whole spoon or bigger chunks. I prefer a more even mix. And smaller cuts. Just my personal preference. I know my Grandfather would slap me upside the head for mouthing stupidity and dig into one of those bowls with glee.

Still very good though and filling. Might try a second time to see consistency. This weekend is the best weather for it for sure.

Think I might make this a recurring weekend project of mine. Test out all the menudos I can find. Though I will say that the really ethnic locations are a little intimidating to me. I am brown and by all rights should be expected to speak spanish. Can't understand a lick of it. Much less speak it. This might actually get me into some of these places I usually avoid.

Carny89
La familia has great consistency. The ratio is great too.
FlyRod
Did Casa Rod this morning and the ratio was perfect. Could be spicier though. Trying to remember the place in town that doesn't even use hominy...and it might be El Sol.
DimeBox17
AG
Had Polly's menudo for the second time. Pretty dang good. I need to try somewhere else in town to compare but I enjoyed it.
Carny89
Had la famila yesterday. Perfect.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.