Fargo or Truth??

5,713 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AG 86 BC
agfan1030
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Making a trip next week for bbq for birthday.... Which has the best brisket? Driving from Huntsville. Truth website says only weekday it is open is Friday. That is a strike against the trip to Brenham.
redd38
AG
You want the truth? Go to Fargo's!
agfan1030
The truth is if Waco wasn't so far for lunch I would go to Guess Family Barbecue.
KC_Ag14
AG
For whatever it's worth to you: Truth's moist brisket is the best I've ever had. I've had Franklin's, Snow's & Blue Moon's. I rank it ahead. Just one man's take. Happy birthday!
Cancelled
AG
Truth is amazing.
RafterAg223
AG
Truth serves a product that is far superior to Fargo's. You also pay for that disparity in quality, but it is worth it.
selk
AG
Truth is the real deal!
ChampsAg
I've been a loyal Fargo follower for many years. That said, Truth is worth the drive. By far the best brisket I have had. Blue Moon is damn good too.

Go to Truth and save room for dessert if you can. I really wasn't a fan of their sides. Ribs and brisket were my faves
agfan1030
RafterAg223 said:

Truth serves a product that is far superior to Fargo's. You also pay for that disparity in quality, but it is worth it.
Guess Family Barbecue in Waco uses the same brisket that Truth does .... 44 Farms .... Cameron, TX ... so that is a plus. Will make it to Truth soon..maybe next Friday.
ChampsAg
Got there at 11:30 a couple Fridays back and still waited in line 20 minutes. Get there as close to 11 as you can
eloc62
Looks like a BBQ road trip for me to Brenham coming up soon! gotta get the truth.
KC_Ag14
AG
There's also free beer while you're waiting in line at Truth. Yes, you read that correctly. Free. Beer.
australopithecus robustus
That sounds like something the TABC might be interested in.
FlyRod
Ah TABC...Texas's own little nanny-state enforcer.
AgGunNut
AG
A lot of the places in the Texas Monthly top 50 are doing that. How it's set up, it isn't illegal. They don't sell beer, and don't have an alcohol permit. It would be illegal for them to have a permit and give beer away.
Oogway
Is that so? Imagine if Whataburger did that....
I kid, I kid...
slickwilly107
Ate at Truth today. I have been fortunate to have an opportunity to get to know Leonard over the past year or so. He is so passionate about his craft. I highly recommend a Friday trip. I was first in line at 10 this morning. It was about 50 deep just after 11. Worth every minute.
australopithecus robustus
It's not illegal to have a permit and give complimentary alcohol, as long as it's not included in the price and not to the point of intoxicatiion or to an already intoxicated person.

It is however dabbling in the area of illegal to charge a price for a good or service and include alcohol in the price, WITHOUT a permit.

It's also illegal to do the same thing WITH a permit.
Twix
AG
Truth, hands down.

We've been twice now and the brisket is amazing. Don't rule out the sides though...the mac and cheese, corn pudding, and greens are all really, really good. The jalapeno cheese sausage is homemade and worth a try. The free beer while you wait just makes it all better. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Also, they have an off-menu item called the smokin' ho (don't judge....I didn't name it). It's a mound of mac and cheese, covered in chopped brisket, bacon and cheddar cheese. Thank me later. (And by chopped brisket, I don't mean the stuff leftover from yesterday, soaked in BBQ sauce. Like this place has any leftover brisket! They take a couple slices of brisket and chop it in front of you.)

Oddity
Sadly, Fargos BBQ is one of the most overrated restaurants in BCS.
eloc62
So, what happened to Fargo's to make them so overrated? A couple of years ago they were all the rage, and ranked in the top 10 in Texas Monthly's top 50 bbq places in Texas. Did they change something? just wondering.
ChampsAg
I don't think that Fargo's is underrated as much as inconsistent. Brisket and chicken mainly. Ribs are usually really good.

I do think that the ranking affected them. I do think that they are getting back to what got them to tip 10 but they may have alienated some people in the process.

Still hands down the best in the city limits IMHO. I will say that if Blue Moon was in town they would destroy Fargo's. Matt and that crew know customer service and that is a big thing for many people.
techno-ag
AG
eloc62 said:

So, what happened to Fargo's to make them so overrated? A couple of years ago they were all the rage, and ranked in the top 10 in Texas Monthly's top 50 bbq places in Texas. Did they change something? just wondering.
Nothing wrong with Fargo's. There's just a bunch of Negative Nannies and food snobs on here.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
KC_Ag14
AG
I don't have anything bad to say about Fargo's, love their rib tips among other things. But if I'm picking between there and Truth BBQ for a birthday meal... it's going to be Truth every single time.
Jetty
AG
We love Fargos!!
TexasAggie_02
AG
Obligatory:

Oddity
To each his own I guess. I personally feel Fargos use to be better when the restaurant was located near highway 21, but we can agree to disagree.

I believe Big Easy BBQ is the best in town, but overall the Brazos Valley is kinda lacking in quality bbq joints. Moons bbq and Truth's are all top tier places. Everything else is meh.....
FlyRod
6/10
Average Joe
AG
techno-ag said:

eloc62 said:

Nothing wrong with Fargo's. There's just a bunch of Negative Nannies and food snobs on here.

This.

This board is full of 5* chefs and professional food critics.
agfan2013
AG
Had Truth two times now and it is definitely head and shoulders above Fargos. And I like Fargos a lot and consider them to be the best in B/CS, but as they've moved to the new location their quality has been a bit inconsistent. I've been eating their bbq since the original spot through the two moves now and its still excellent stuff when they are on their game, but Truth is on a different level.

If you dont mind the drive down and the time waiting in line, Truth is where you need to go.
rhoswen
AG
techno-ag said:

eloc62 said:

Why, because someone doesn't like a restaurant you like?

We *just* did this.
FlyRod
FlyRod
Just my 2 cents, but IMO the BCS BBQ scene is far better now than during the last "wave" which included Tom's, Pop's, and Randy Sims. I know Tom's had a cult following, but for me it was incredibly underwhelming.

Then I discovered Martins, and became more optimistic. And now we have them, plus Fargo's, plus Kreuz, and the deserve-to-be-better-known Norm's Smokewagon, and DBQ trailers. Oh yeah, and Good Bull.

I'm sure inconsistencies abound, but all in all, I am very very happy and pleased with BCS's own BBQ scene.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.