Flat tire help

2,508 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 313-7-12thMan
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who do you recommend for flat tire help in the B/CS area?

My girlfriend called me yesterday concerned about her driver's side rear tire. Pics below. No obvious nail/screw/foreign object, puncture, slash, sidewall damage, or valve-stem issues. Valve stem is covered with a non-crappy screw on cover. Tire pressure was checked and adjusted Monday afternoon.

Pics

I'd love a recommendation for someone who could look at this without charging an arm and leg. Tires were originally bought at Goodyear in Dallas but the local store has no info. on warranty. Bonus points if y'all can recommend a chain (since we travel to Dallas frequently).

Thanks for your help!
rsa
AG
Discount Tire has been our go-to shop for the past 30+ years.
Oogway
Discount for us, too.
gunan01
AG
Discount Tire
DBSwooper
rsa said:

Discount Tire has been our go-to shop for the past 30+ years.
I simply can not say enough negative things about our local Discount Tires.

The last straw for me was when they were trying to refuse to replace a tire on my wife's car that had a 2" long and 1/4" deep gouge in the sidewall under the road hazard agreement. I had to leave work and speak to the manager, expressing my disbelief that they all were saying the damage was "cosmetic and did not effect the safety of the tire." After I expressed concern and stated that I would pay for a new tire, but I was keeping the damage tire to scan with my Faro3D scanner with photographs to send to one of our testifying tire experts for analysis, they relented and replaced the dangerously damaged tire.

Then they backed a vehicle into my friend's brand new legally parked and unattended Audi, causing over $8,000 in damage, attorneys have had to get involved to simply get his car repaired! They did not want to pay, they did not care and were making jokes about the situation.

Those two instances are the very tip of the iceberg of bad experiences with our local Discount Tires. Do yourself a big favor and steer well clear of them! Profits over safety and zero regard for customer service!
momlaw
AG
House of Tires on Texas Avenue has an excellent reputation. The owner, Bobby Gutierrez, is an active leader in our community and a fine person. We've always been happy with their service, pricing, and integrity.

I have a good friend who had really bad experience with Discount. They put wrong sized, mixed sized tires on her truck which resulted in major damage immediately. She had to fight with them to get damages covered.
momlaw
Bob2525
Depends on which one your Local Discount tire is. Been going there since 96 and the original store on Texas isn't what it used to be. The new one by Target and store #3 at Tower Point have been treating me right for the past few years. Guessing the good managers get to open the new stores?
CN
I've been going to Discount Tire for years.

But within the last several years, at least twice when I'd have a flat and bring my car in, they told me no, too close to the side wall or it's too damaged inside and it can't be repaired when I didn't have insurance on the tires. I'd take their word for it and get a new tire. When I had to replace all of my tires the last time, I opted for the insurance due to a lot of new home construction in my neighborhood. I eventually get a flat and see that it's pretty darn close to the side wall. Sure enough, they patched it.

I had been going to the location on Texas Ave. but have been going to the one near Tower Point since it opened. Neither location would patch my tires when I didn't have the insurance. Could the tires really have been too damaged to repair? Absolutely. I'm only suspicious because I thought for sure they'd replace the last one.
Kitten With A Whip
I've had nothing but great experiences with local Discount tire locations, the best part being that I can get tires fixed, replaced, etc., in any city that has a location.

In my experience, they have gone beyond anything I have expected. Several years ago I was really, really sick and struggled to even get out of bed to haul my hiney to HEB to get some meds, juice and soup, etc. It was late on a Friday night, it was pouring rain when I left the store, I had fever and felt like an utter bagful of crap and noticed my tire was almost, but not quite, flat. Normally, I would not do this, but under the circumstances, I drove on the nearly flat tire and took the car to a local gas station, aired up the tire and went home to hibernate. A few days later when I was feeling better, I took the car to Discount tire, where I purchased the tires, fully expecting to buy a new tire. Much to my dismay, they gave me a new tire for 15 bucks as per the warranty. It was totally my fault for damaging the tire. I knew that would happen when I made the decision to drive it, I just didn't care at the time. In the end it was well worth the 15 bucks and you just don't get that kind of thing anywhere else. I'm a happy customer.

I know people have had bad experiences there, but every business falls short from time to time. Certainly, I would not likely go back under some of the aforementioned circumstances, but I also know two sides to every story.

***Edited to add that most of my experiences with Discount Tire, including the one I describe above is at the Bryan Location in front of Target.
gettingitdone
We use Dixie Tire in Bryan (across the street from the main fire station)on William Joel. This is a family owned business that has been around for decades. They do awesome work and are a great family. Ask for Lupe.
91_Aggie
AG
I've had nothing but great experiences with Discount Tire in town... we now use the Tower Point location.

My wife seems to be a magnet for screws and nails in her tires, especially in the side wall or too close to edge to patch. They have always replaced them with no questions asked.

Birddog
AG
gettingitdone said:

We use Dixie Tire in Bryan (across the street from the main fire station)on William Joel. This is a family owned business that has been around for decades. They do awesome work and are a great family. Ask for Lupe.
Dixie has all our tire business, The Ostiguin brothers are good guys to work with.
OnlyANobody
While having some sort of separation issue with one if my rims/tires, I recently went to the Discount Tire by the Bryan Target for the free air check. (I'm more likely to let all the air OUT of my tire than actually fill it up...)

I tipped five bucks, being a non-revenue customer and using their time. At my next stop, I looked at the tires and TWO of my chrome valve caps were missing. I went back immediately and of course, no one had any idea where they were or how that happened. So much for my ever becoming a paying customer. I'll be going to House of Tires for the repair.
Rexter
Discount has been my go-to for 30 yrs. There have been bumps along the way with store managers, but a call to a district manager gets that taken care of pretty quickly. Maybe it's the loyalty...beats me.

The last two issues were with the Tower Point store. I bought tires and rims and got a price match on the tires. I have a store card to get rebates. The manager said he wasn't going to give me rebate info since they price matched. On that one, I had to lay it down that I would never visit Discount again if I didn't get the rebates.

The other issue there was that they wouldn't put some air in my m/c tires. They don't "work" on them. That took a call to the district manager to correct the store staff.

All in all, the workers are nice and friendly. I still buy tires (4 this month) there. You just have to know what they can and can't do, and sometimes escalate it if you don't get the help you need from the store.
halibut sinclair
I've used Discount Tire here locally for well over 20 years with no issues (CS location, now Bryan).
dubi
AG
Rexter said:

Discount has been my go-to for 30 yrs. There have been bumps along the way with store managers, but a call to a district manager gets that taken care of pretty quickly. Maybe it's the loyalty...beats me.

The last two issues were with the Tower Point store. I bought tires and rims and got a price match on the tires. I have a store card to get rebates. The manager said he wasn't going to give me rebate info since they price matched. On that one, I had to lay it down that I would never visit Discount again if I didn't get the rebates.

The other issue there was that they wouldn't put some air in my m/c tires. They don't "work" on them. That took a call to the district manager to correct the store staff.

All in all, the workers are nice and friendly. I still buy tires (4 this month) there. You just have to know what they can and can't do, and sometimes escalate it if you don't get the help you need from the store.

Rebate info is online so you actually didn't need his help with that. However, it was rude for him to do that.

I live near the Texas Ave store and have used them countless times for new tire purchases. For my most recent purchase, I called and asked them for a discount on a $1,000 set of tires; they refused but the Bryan Discount Tire manager was happy to give me a discount.

Now that we have 3 locations, we have choices!
rhoswen
AG
another vote for House of Tires.

If they didn't have what I needed, always was happy with discount (until I moved to Kemah - I won't go to that one)
CN

Quote:

I live near the Texas Ave store and have used them countless times for new tire purchases. For my most recent purchase, I called and asked them for a discount on a $1,000 set of tires; they refused but the Bryan Discount Tire manager was happy to give me a discount.

That's good to know. Discount Tire Direct via eBay is offering $100 off $400 or more on tire or wheel purchases using a promo code until the end of the month. The forum where I got the info said try calling your local Discount Tire and ask nicely for a price match. Sounds like I'd have to call the Bryan location.
nthomas99
AG
Rexter said:

Somewhat similar issue, they tried to wiggle out of a pricematch coupled with a tread warranty proration. Employee banged the enter key on the keyboard pointed at the screen and said "see it won't let me do both". Yeah, right. I called him on it and he got downright aggressive with me. Unlikely I'll be back.

I agree that the general tone of the stores has changed in the last few years. And to some extent it's independent of location, as I see the same employees at different locations (are they all corporate or same franchisee owned?).

OnlyANobody
It's a privately held company with all locations being company owned.

https://www.discounttire.com/careers/career-faqs
313-7-12thMan
Discount Tires may be awesome. Never used them. If you want local owned in south College Station call Brazos Valley Automotive. 979-680-1234.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.