CSISD

21,778 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FlyRod
deh40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Discussing spending $2.2 mil to re-brand the middle schools. What will they think of next to squander our tax dollars.
conc3rned
In my opinion that is a gross overstatement of what the discussion was. Were you there? Because I'm going to guess that statement didn't actually hear the discussion or what they mean by rebranding (disassociating the middle schools from the high schools since all three middle schools will now have students going to both high schools). I'd also say that over half the discussion revolved around finances vs. benefits and different options for achieving those goals. No decisions have been made. The meeting video should be posted online within the next couple of days - before anyone leaps to conclusions based on statements like this, you should probably watch.
justinsr
I'm not a fan of disassociating the middle schools from the high schools...why can't they keep feeding into their high schools and keep all their names and colors/mascots and let the new school be a 50/50 split with their own identity?

Why do all three schools have to change up just because we add one new school to the mix?
Carnwellag2
The feeder decision has already been made. The discussion now is branding
w8liftr
justinsr said:

I'm not a fan of disassociating the middle schools from the high schools...why can't they keep feeding into their high schools and keep all their names and colors/mascots and let the new school be a 50/50 split with their own identity?

Why do all three schools have to change up just because we add one new school to the mix?

Choose the board's response- "it's for the children" or "it's not fair to ___".

It never ceases to amaze me how the elected representatives of the people's republic of college station (isd included) can't resist spending large sums of money on completely frivolous cosmetic projects. Examples include but are not limited to the million dollar dead trees on the bypass, the raised & landscaped medians, a massive football stadium on each campus instead of a shared facility, the redeaign of city buildings to match the entrance sign, etc.
duffelpud
AG
Government has slowly removed most of the mechanisms for telling them "no". The 'protected' (eg bureaucracy, real estate professionals, tax exempted seniors, government school employees & former employees) have captured the ability to tax and moved its burden to the 'unprotected' - those who have the least ability or desire to resist.
"What's this button do?"
CS78
All rooted from a "need" for total diversity, inclusion, and equality. Starting to get a little spendy isn't it?
Stupe
S
justinsr said:

Because of the "not fair" crowd.
MisterShipWreck
w8liftr said:

justinsr said:

Choose the board's response- "it's for the children" or "it's not fair to ___".

It never ceases to amaze me how the elected representatives of the people's republic of college station (isd included) can't resist spending large sums of money on completely frivolous cosmetic projects. Examples include but are not limited to the million dollar dead trees on the bypass, the raised & landscaped medians, a massive football stadium on each campus instead of a shared facility, the redeaign of city buildings to match the entrance sign, etc.
Yes indeed.
rsa
AG
justinsr said:

Growing up in the 70s, I attended schools in the Spring Branch ISD in Houston. With the exception of Spring Forest, all of the junior highs (now middle schools) shared their names with high schools in the district. Most shared similar colors and mascots with the high school they shared a name with, and all fed in to at least 2 different high schools. As 6th, 7th, and 8th graders we had pride in our schools, a sense of identity, and accepted that we would have pride & identity in whichever high school we transitioned to after the 8th grade.

From the KBTX piece: "You know if I am in seventh or eighth grade its worth it," says (school board President Valerie) Jachen. "I think it is important to feel good about the school that I go to." The notion that our middle schools today need re-branding to address some perceived lack of pride or identity in one's middle school experience really strains the limits of credulity.
kraut
AG
Oh you guys, the obvious answer is a third high school.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

"I think it is important [for students] to feel good about the school that [they] go to."

This statement sums up public education in America today - supported by our tax dollars. That only helps the teachers and administrators "feel good".

I think it's important for students to learn to read, write, do math and understand the concepts of liberty and justice. Then they'll feel good about a lot more than what school they go to.
"What's this button do?"
Stupe
S
I agree that students should feel good about where they go to school. There is nothing wrong with school pride and /or feeling like you are part of team.

However, spending a bunch of money to "rebrand" something in order to foster that is ridiculous.

It's even more ridiculous when they brought it on themselves with the gerrymandering attendance zones.
BCSWguru
other people's money, whats not to love?
Wicked Good Ag
justinsr said:

because the logistics of where the new school is located make the current CSMS school the one that should have the 50/50 split

I am not in favor of the 80/20 split we currently have as our daughter will be going to AMCHS next year while most of her friends will be going to CSHS. Nothing against AMCHS at all in fact I have no issue with the school but the fact that she will know maybe a fraction of the people at her new high school will be hard on her I believe

InMyOpinion
duffelpud said:

Government has slowly removed most of the mechanisms for telling them "no". The 'protected' (eg bureaucracy, real estate professionals, tax exempted seniors, government school employees & former employees) have captured the ability to tax and moved its burden to the 'unprotected' - those who have the least ability or desire to resist.

When less than 50% of the citizens show up to vote it becomes easier for those who want to spend our money to do so.
Aggie
AG
My SIL teaches at College Hills elementary school in college station.. This school feeds into Consol.
The school administration will not allow teachers to wear A&M Consol shirts because there are teachers at the school whose kids goto CSHS.

So we live in a community where football is a big deal, and we try to find ways to get kids more involved in extra curricular activities and have school pride.. However on a Friday in the fall during football season teachers at a CSISD school that feeds into A&M Consolidated are not allowed to wear Consol shirts because other teachers have kids that goto CSHS... It sounds dumber and dumber each time I say it.
InMyOpinion
Wicked Good Ag said:

justinsr said:

because the logistics of where the new school is located make the current CSMS school the one that should have the 50/50 split

I am not in favor of the 80/20 split we currently have as our daughter will be going to AMCHS next year while most of her friends will be going to CSHS. Nothing against AMCHS at all in fact I have no issue with the school but the fact that she will know maybe a fraction of the people at her new high school will be hard on her I believe

Since you have no problem with the school then It sounds like an opportunity for her to make more friends. It might be "hard" but a valuable life lesson.
Wicked Good Ag
For her it will be real difficult... if it were the other two kids both would have no problem making new friends so not as much as an adjustment

I understand the situation and am ok with it, just know it will be hard on one particular kids, the one who it effects the most

The third middle school should predominately feed into CSHS based upon geography. With CSMS school likely being the 50/50 split school it will likely be rebranded to a different color/mascot at least until the third high school comes into play

UmustBKidding
With all the PC that is going around we are going to have to go back to just numbering schools. Then their color can be based on the pantone color # and maybe their mascot can be chosen based on the number from the periodic table of elements.
I lol at NEISD renaming Lee high school L.E.E (Legacy of Education Excellence)

Oogway
You know how I know I am old? None of my teachers wore 'spirit' clothes ( and this included coaches). They dressed like the professionals they were/are supposed to be.
Field trips were more relaxed, depending on the situation, but there was a definite distinction between their attire and those of the students.
gettingitdone
Aggie,,,

are the teachers who's kids attend CSHS so repulsed by AMCHS that it is totally unreasonable for them to wear a t-shirt for Consol? It seems petty to say the least. If I worked for BISD, but had kids that attended in CS, I would have no problem wearing a Bryan High or Rudder shirt. I am sure most teachers feel the same way.
Stupe
S
Wicked Good Ag said:

justinsr said:

So? The percentage breakdowns look good on paper! - School Board.
Stupe
S
Aggie said:

My SIL teaches at College Hills elementary school in college station.. This school feeds into Consol.
The school administration will not allow teachers to wear A&M Consol shirts because there are teachers at the school whose kids goto CSHS.

So we live in a community where football is a big deal, and we try to find ways to get kids more involved in extra curricular activities and have school pride.. However on a Friday in the fall during football season teachers at a CSISD school that feeds into A&M Consolidated are not allowed to wear Consol shirts because other teachers have kids that goto CSHS... It sounds dumber and dumber each time I say it.
That has to come from the administration.

If a teacher is that much of a snowflake, they don't need to be teaching.
nought
AG
Whatever the discussion is about -- feeders, branding, etc...can someone explain why whatever is being proposed is going to cost $2.2 million?
Stupe
S
You must be REALLY old because my teachers did it in the 70's and 80's.
Oogway
You sound like a parent who recognizes each of your children's unique personalities and I can definitely empathize with your concern for her adjustment to high school, especially one where there will be a mix of around 50/20/20. (Although, I actually am in favor of this plan I won't elaborate) It's hard no matter what!

However, coming from someone with perhaps a similar perspective, I am glad your child has you in her corner. She is fortunate to have a parent(s) who can help guide her through the process and provide feedback were she ever to need it.
So much better for her to learn now that she has the foundation you have given her and with that she can conquer anything she wants.
There will come a time in each child's life when they have to stand in order to walk and many of us are fortunate enough to have given our children faith, family, and friends to help along the way. She will learn more about herself in the next four years than you can imagine, and in the next twenty, she will realize what a great parent she has. She may even tell you so!

Edit to add--reply to Stupe: maybe I went to a school in a District where that was the way it was done.
ukbb2003
The stupidity of this is that it is only temporary. Once the 3rd HS is built, and that is the plan, none of this will matter. So we are spending $2.2 million on something that will only be relevant for a few years.
02skiag
AG
I feel like this whole idea is based on football. No other sport works off emotion like it and has parents that feed into it. It makes some sense on the surface but if rebranding costs even a million dollars it is absolutely not worth it. That is silly money over a little pride. I'd like my kids to go to the shiny new school but they are zoned for consol and they couldn't care less either way. They do care about friends but that has zero to do with school pride.
Stupe
S
It's about booster club money in general.
Aggie
AG
From what I understand.

The school administrators are not trying mandate it for all teachers or anything like that.
Friday's are usually what teachers call casual days or Jean days.
Some teachers would like to wear Consol shirts to show their support for the Consol football team and the school.. The school that elementary school feeds into.
If the teachers choose not to wear Consol shirts that's was fine... However administrators decided that since some teachers have kids that goto CSHS and may want to wear CSHS shirts.. That no HS shirts could be worn at all.
Does not make much sense to me.
Defenitly sounds like snowflake teachers and clueless administrators.
Stupe
S
That is an idiotic decision.
BrandoC
AG
Can someone tell me how they are going to split A&MCMS, CSMS and Wellborn Middle Schools? Is it by certain zones and where are those zones split? I believe CS will be past the need to add a new HS in the next 4 years. Add a new HS in Wellborn area and feed the new middle school into it. Problem solved.
Oogway
No offense, but just how high do you want your taxes to go? I have enough money going out of the house to the city and school district and county and you want to open the wound even wider?

The plan for who goes where is on the District website, look it up.
txgardengirl
BrandoC -
AMCMS 80% Consol 20% CSH
CSMS 50/50ish
WMS 20% Consol 80% CS

Before another high school is built, they will have a bond election to complete CSHS - there are plans for another wing.

We will have a 3rd comprehensive high school before we know it, hopefully for less than 100M

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.