CS Council wants buildings redesigned to match welcome sign

2,286 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ....
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

at Monday's meeting, the council viewed final renderings for the Larry J. Ringer Library expansion. The council gave direction in August for the facade to match materials used in the city's gateway sign to allow for a more uniform appearance for city buildings.

This from a meeting about redesigning the police station. They vote to raise everyone else's taxes, then direct money be spent to make city buildings match a sign?

I think the council has been watching too much HGTV.
"What's this button do?"
02skiag
AG
I cannot believe how out of touch these folks are. As a responsible parent I have to tell my kids No all the time.
BCSWguru
endless supply of other people's money. whats not to love?
Oogway
Most any person with a library degree would tell you that the two most important agenda items for libraries are:

1. The collection (of library materials and resources).

2. The organization of the space to facilitate use by the patrons. (patrons are who drive the collection so that is why it is paramount to have a collection designed to fit their needs and use)

Librarians have kept libraries open during wars, floods, and used horse and wagon to get materials into the hands of their communities. I don't think being 'matchy-matchy' is something they worry about. While the community has a great library, if the collection suffers then it is just a building with nothing to offer....

Edit -- forgot to add that I am essentially agreeing with you! Form follows FUNCTION. Not the other way around. That is the wise way to use $$
classicdoug
AG
This is just a totally random thought with no research at all, but what about making the Gander Mountain and Academy buildings the new police station and city offices? Maybe too much money or not enough space? I haven't researched any logistics.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

what about making the Gander Mountain and Academy buildings the new police station and city offices

Won't work; they don't match the sign.
"What's this button do?"
Rex Racer
AG
classicdoug said:

This is just a totally random thought with no research at all, but what about making the Gander Mountain and Academy buildings the new police station and city offices? Maybe too much money or not enough space? I haven't researched any logistics.
That property would be very expensive, I would think.
02skiag
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-college-station-candidates-stake-out-positions-during-forum-at/article_49575995-ca25-5988-ae17-be779d4cb293.html

There is at least one candidate expressing concern over the tax increases.
InMyOpinion
duffelpud said:

Quote:

what about making the Gander Mountain and Academy buildings the new police station and city offices

Won't work; they don't match the sign.

I'm sure with a reasonable budget the property brothers could come up with a design that could work
InMyOpinion
classicdoug said:

Shipley's could buy the old Dickies building and the additional sales tax revenue they generate should offset the loss of taxable properties being taken off the tax rolls.
techno-ag
AG
candyland02 said:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-college-station-candidates-stake-out-positions-during-forum-at/article_49575995-ca25-5988-ae17-be779d4cb293.html

One is not enough.
nought
AG
Rex Racer said:

classicdoug said:

That property would be very expensive, I would think.
Not as expensive as what they're planning on spending on the police station.
nought
AG
techno-ag said:

candyland02 said:

One is not enough.
No, but we should all remember the name of Shipp when it is time to vote. One is better than none.
techno-ag
Ugh. They couldn't just make the sign match the building?? Here we go down the rabbit hole.
duffelpud
AG
Every since the council saw "The Truman Show" at a city retreat they've been on a mission.

"What's this button do?"
The bond for the library was passed in 2008.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.