Assistance needed in LaGrange - Second chance resale flooded

2,059 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jimmyb
jimmyb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As I understand it, a resale shop in LaGrange was flooded and what would normally be approx 200K$ per year that would be available to the community is no longer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1645182512222861&set=p.1645182512222861&type=3&theater

On top of that, about 250 people are displaced that COULD receive some of the resources the resale shop if it were open..

Anything you can do would help. Trying to find out now what is needed to get the resale shop back in operation. Will update as information is available.
CollegeStationMaid
jimmyb said:

On top of that, about 250 people are displaced that COULD receive some of the resources the resale shop if it were open.

I would much rather donate to those 250 people in need than a thrift store that's going to sell it to them
jimmyb
Then just give clothes to the resale.

As it stand s now no resources are in place to direct $ to the individuals.

LaGrange lions club will acccept donations
nought
AG
jimmyb -- can you explain how this resale shop benefits the needy people and the community? Are the proceeds from sales there given to people in need? Are people in need staffing the resale shop? I'm asking because it sounds like there is a disconnect between what you're saying and what CollegeStationMaid is saying above.
jimmyb
Im not directly involved. I was told by a fellow lions club member the details above. That is all I have available. If that changes I will edit the original post.

As I understood it ALL proceeds from the resale shop go directly to the same 250 that are currently displaced.
CollegeStationMaid
If that's the case then I could supporr that. I took what you said to mean the resale shop needed to be replenished so people could buy what they needed from the resale store
jimmyb
As of today the resale shop is operating out of a shortage facility. I think they are accepting donations. One way this group COULD help would be for some type of flatbed trailer/truck. As I understand it, any donated furniture is not cost effective to use a commercial transport. If that could be arranged here I think some donations here would be of use down there..
KidDoc
AG
I was in Lions in Smithville a few years ago and also in the Methodist church there and they started a resale shop based on the La Grange shop. The workers at that resale shop in La Grange are volunteers nobody is paid. The only overhead is the store and utilities the rest of the proceeds go straight to that local community I believe distributed by one of the many excellent Lions clubs in La Grange but I could be mistaken in that and it could be the church.

Either way this is NOT Goodwill with paid employees and really highly paid CEO's. It is a local charity driven volunteer resale shop.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jimmyb
Quote:

KidDoc

thanks -
PseudonymK
AG
Will you be able to arrange a drop-off or a contact for pick up for items collected in B/CS?
jimmyb
Ill see what i can find out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.