CEO Internet (etc) in rural subdivisions

3,189 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by labmansid
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saddle Creek, Millican, the S Wellborn areas

How reliable is the service and strength of signal?

Builders sing praises but what are your actual experiences?

What about their other bundled services?

ChampsAg
Brazos Wifi
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I'm not sure that's an option in those rural neighborhoods

Is it?
momlaw
AG
Contact Brazos Wifi. He seems to be a very straight up guy, good or not so good news. He has many happy customers on this board. Is not shy about providing the low down as he knows it.... and seems to be well informed to do so.
momlaw
DBSwooper
Brazos WiFi has the best customer service of any ISP I've had since I first dialed in back in 1994. For rural internet in B/CS I would go with no one else.
jac4
AG
CEO is in the process of installing cable to Saddle Creek and Duck Haven as we speak, so what we have experienced will be completely different from what they offer in the coming months.
deh40
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Saddle Creek, Millican, the S Wellborn areas

How reliable is the service and strength of signal?

Builders sing praises but what are your actual experiences?

What about their other bundled services?

I would be cautious of any builder who is singing the praises of either option in Duck Haven or Saddle Creek. But CEO is running fiber so it should give a much better option soon.
nthomas99
AG
I'm on Brazos WiFi south of town (Peach Crossing) and love it. I agree with other posters - shoot him an email give with an address and he'll shoot straight whether or not he can get you a good signal.

I looked at purchasing in Duck Haven / Saddle Creek too, and at the time (last year), the quality of the service CEO could provide really depended on whether they could get good line of sight to your house. You could tell real quickly when looking at existing home, as the questionable signal locations always seems to have a satellite (yuck) backup. If you've got good line of sight, I've heard good reviews about CEO as well.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Thx all.

Will do.
75AG
AG
We've beeen in Duck Haven with CEO for a year. We typically get 5 mbps down. Usually can stream Netflix, etc. with few delays. As stated above, they are laying fiber optic in the area. Hopefully 200 mbps soon. And their customer service has been fine.
ChampsAg
Had Brazos WiFi in Millican and now in Forest Lakes. Great customer service as stated above. Always lets us know about potential outages or issues before they come up.
BrazosWifi
Thanks for all the positive comments.
I'm out at a conference this week but Cayden at our office can check.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
DBSwooper
ChampsAg said:

Had Brazos WiFi in Millican and now in Forest Lakes. Great customer service as stated above. Always lets us know about potential outages or issues before they come up.
I didn't realize you were out here in Forest Lakes, too.
LOYAL AG
AG
I have CEO in River Place and it has been good. I work from home and a reliable internet connection is a requirement for me to do that. We cut the cord earlier this year and rely solely on CEO for my work as well as for TV. There are times where the live sports stream isn't great but those seem to coincide with when my daughter is on Netflix. When it's the only stream it's pretty steady. Netflix, etc. are pretty well flawless.

Full disclosure the tower servicing River Place is literally in my backyard so, while the network signal travels some distance to get to the tower it only travels a couple of hundred feet to get to my house. A lot of their challenges come from the number of subscribers to a given tower. The one for Saddle Creek has a pretty large subscriber base. Mine has less than 40 due to terrain features that limit how many roof tops it can "see".
labmansid
I live between Wellborn and Duck Haven near the intersection of Wellborn Rd. and Greens Prairie Tr. Previously we used Brazos Wifi on the other side of Steep Hollow, and had very good service from him. Would have gone with him this time, but the install would have been more costly and unsightly since the tower is further away.

Using CEO for the past year, and can't complain about their service so far. I think the only time there was really an issue was just in the past month or so when a line got cut and service was basically out for a few hours. Other than that it has been pretty consistent.

I wish someone would put in a line near us. I was hoping that with all the construction during the last year, maybe at least Suddenlink would put something in while they had the chance, but no such luck, apparently.
UmustBKidding
I live right there and because some politics frontier upgraded there equipment in wellborn. They offer bonded dsl in the area and they installed 18Mb service at my house. So right now I have 3 and 18Mb dsl and 5M ceo. The new frontier circuit of course is the best and will like cancel ceo. Was also able buy the new 18M service bare so no line to pay for. Was 89 install ~50 month. Only would talke order for 12M but installer said it would support faster can called in the upgrade.
Basically the town of wellborn and south to the hidden springs area should be eligible.
labmansid
What has been your experience with Frontier? In the past I have seen some pretty negative things about their service.
UmustBKidding
Verizon and frontier have well deserved horror stories. The fact is that since they have bought out the Verizon wire line operation they have moved customer service to the us and have bought, repaired and upgraded systems that should have been done years ago. The local infrastructure is greatly improved and in the wellborn Co the equipment is the same stuff as uverse. The connection to the Internet hub in Irving was totally replaced shortly after they purchased the. Are they perfect, no. But the new bonded dsl is far faster and cheaper than ceo. Saw suddenlink working near the warehouses on wellborn so maybe there will be.som movement there also
etj77845
Recently worked with Frontier on an upgrade. Their Customer Service is good to bad depending on the CSR you work with. Their Tech Service is OK BUT when aggravation sets in their Customer Relations people are top notch in resolving issues, but it should not get to that level. The local technician was one of the best I have ever worked with.

Biggest complaint is lack of communication, apparently between depts and then filling customer's work order.

Give the a 'B'"
TexasAggie_02
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

I'm not sure that's an option in those rural neighborhoods

Is it?
call them anyway. I called them a couple of years back and they didn't offer service where I was. A year later, they called me out of the blue to let me know that they had put a new antenna up and I was now in there service area.

If they get enough inquiries from an area, they will expand.
labmansid
So I'm curious how your install went. I actually called them late last week and set up an install for Wednesday morning. The service rep said I could get 24Mb download for about 60$ per month. That's 4 times the speed I'm getting from CEO for a bit less than what I'm paying now. I figured I could compare the two for a month or so before deciding which one to stick with.

Cut to today and I just got a call from someone at Frontier saying that they only have service at my address up to 12Mb. They didn't say, or I don't remember, what the cost of that would be, but I'm assuming less than the original quote. They wanted me to know before the installer came, just in case. I told them I would think about it and let them know tomorrow if I still wanted it. Are you saying something like that happened to you, but you were able to upgrade to a higher speed later?

Thanks in advance.
UmustBKidding
My install was about two weeks from order since many were dispatched to baytown and Dickinson for harvey issues. They spent most of the day finding good pairs and cutting bridge taps to get maximum transfer rate. Since its bonded it takes two pair and mine tested good at 14Mbps each so should support 24M but said for maximum reliability would recommend stopping at 18. This was on a 12Mb order. Think 12Mb was 44.95 and 18 is 49.95. Install was 89 and modem was 9 (but think only once). Its working fine at 18Mb.
Email direct questions to myTxAgUsername at consp iracy dot net, can give you the exact details of the cable infrastructure in the area.
labmansid
Thanks for the quick reply, that was pretty much what I figured from your previous response. Maybe I can go through with it and upgrade from what they told me today. BTW email sent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.