Fried Turkeys for Thanksgiving

3,657 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ratfacemcdougal
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

The Knights of Columbus Chapter #10624 (Located at St. Mary's Catholic Center) will be selling turkeys for thanksgiving. This is our largest fundraiser that supports our non-profit fraternal organization in our mission of local charity, stewardship and vocational support of our parish members. Our council is composed of about 100 Catholic college men, and we use the funds to support seminarians, host pro-life events, help out needy families, and build community projects. More information on our parent organization is at http://www.kofc.org/en/charities/. The Aggie Knights help college boys to grow into men in solidarity with our community.

Starting this week and ending the 15th of November orders will be taken for fried turkeys (Cajun, Herbal, or Plain) and smoked turkeys. Our birds are approximately 12-14 lbs. We start by injecting each birds with 4 ounces of our own blended marinades, 24 hours before we fry them.
*The Cajun Flavoring includes Chili Powder, Cayanne Pepper, Garlic, Paprika, Oregano, Butter, and Franks Red Hots.
*The Herbal Flavoring includes Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Onion, Garlic, Butter, and Kraft Italian Dressing.
*The Plain Flavoring is just salt, pepper, and butter.
*Smoked Turkeys aren't fried, but rather slow-smoked over mesquite coals in our BBQ pit.

Next, the skin gets lightly coated with seasonings, and fried in canola oil until perfectly golden. After each bird is done, they're chilled in refrigerators, and packaged in tin foil & paper bags for you to pick up. The package includes reheating instructions.

Each turkey is $45 paid in advance and will be ready to pick up in the Activity Center at St. Mary's on Sunday (Nov. 19), Monday (Nov. 20) or Tuesday (Nov 21). We are currently taking orders at www.squareup.com/market/aggie-knights-of-columbus/ .

If you have already made other plans for your Thanksgiving meal please consider donating a turkey to those in need. We will work with the St. Vincent De Paul food pantry to ensure that any donation you give goes to put food on needy families' tables for Thanksgiving.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions!

Ornlu
AG
Also, I'd like to bring up that I think we might have fixed a big problem we had last year:

We've been selling Fried Thanksgiving Turkeys for 14 years now. We've always used Sam's club as our turkey supplier because they've allowed us to narrowly target our desired weight range (12-14lbs) for the birds. However, last year Sam's told us that they can only supply 16+ lb turkeys, which simply won't fit in our fryers. We looked around at alternate suppliers and we eventually placed an order with HEB, asking for all birds to be in the 12-14 lb range. What HEB delivered was all in the 8-10 lb range. I'm disappointed in the quantity of product we produced last year.

We've already found a supplier this year who will guarantee all birds in the 12-14 pound range.
csnole
I thought our bird seemed small but boy was it delicious!!! Will be ordering again this year!!
MarinaBeth
As an ignorant South African here for my first Thanksgiving, so your turkeys come with stuffing?
Ornlu
AG
No, no stuffing. Unfortunately thats a very controversial subject in most families. See
CEAg78
AG
So can I get the bag of giblets to make my gravy with?

My mother would boil the giblets including the neck, reserving the liver and heart for gravy and painstakingly removed the meat from the neck. Then, she would finely chop the gizzard and use it and the neck meat in her PAN of cornbread dressing. NO STUFFING.

My husband's family on the other hand . . . stuffs.
barney94
AG
78, your mama did it right...
Ornlu
AG
Bump.

We've sold half our quota. Get em while you still can. http://www.squareup.com/market/aggie-knights-of-columbus/
csnole
I tried to place an order tonight for one Cajun turkey - it said not enough pick up time tonight - could not place the order. Is it too late?
ratfacemcdougal
I just ordered the Herbal Turkey. Order went through OK
Ornlu
AG
The website (Squarespace) is really meant for brick-and-mortar or food truck establishments. It won't take advance pickup-orders for a future date unless we set store hours, and it seems like you ran into the 11:59-12:00am closing window. We've run into a few bugs with using it, and that seems like one more to add to the list.

Try it now. Should be working.
SeenNotHeard
AG
What if I am hosting an event on the 16th? Any chance I could get two birds?
TLIAC
AG
Ordered mine. I'm glad I saw this. Now I don't have to cook the turkey and I am able to support a church fundraiser at the same time. Double win!
Swarely
I just ordered and it's telling me I need to pick up today?
SeenNotHeard
AG
I still would love to know if I could get two for an event on the 16th.
Ornlu
AG
Swarely said:

I just ordered and it's telling me I need to pick up today?
Sorry, just saw this. No, you don't need to pickup today (obviously), but rather on the pickup date that was you selected at the bottom of the order form.

I think this is the same error that csnole encountered, so I changed some of the store settings. Is it working now?
Ornlu
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

I still would love to know if I could get two for an event on the 16th.
I'm afraid that's really not possible. We won't be frying them until the 19th.
Ornlu
AG
One last bump. Our Turkey Supplier (Readfields) has asked us to turn in orders Monday at 8am, so we need to cut off sales on Sunday (11/12) at 8pm. We have about 30 more birds to sale.

Please get your orders in! www.squareup.com/market/aggie-knights-of-columbus/
ratfacemcdougal
Come on Nov 20! I'm HUNGRY
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.