Construction/Stores - General Growth

4,060 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jac4
txcajun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I see some things under construction near the Tower Point area. Just curious why smaller cities seem to have more options in regards to groceries, FedEx/UPS, shopping, and other things . I'm not advocating more strip malls, but it's strange given the 2nd largest university is here, and we lack so many things. I mean, even Lafayette, LA has a Whole Foods, and its population is 150k less than College Station. The mall here looks like it hasn't been renovated since the late 80s, and it smells like it, too. Just curious when they're going to make improvements - seems like stuff is slow. Hope they're not taking notes from Austin, because Austin is a perfect example of bad planning. I think MoPac is still under construction? lol
techno-ag
AG
txcajun said:

I see some things under construction near the Tower Point area. Just curious why smaller cities seem to have more options in regards to groceries, FedEx/UPS, shopping, and other things . I'm not advocating more strip malls, but it's strange given the 2nd largest university is here, and we lack so many things. I mean, even Lafayette, LA has a Whole Foods, and its population is 150k less than College Station. The mall here looks like it hasn't been renovated since the late 80s, and it smells like it, too. Just curious when they're going to make improvements - seems like stuff is slow. Hope they're not taking notes from Austin, because Austin is a perfect example of bad planning. I think MoPac is still under construction? lol
Actually, I think I read BCS has the largest university in Texas.
halibut sinclair
gus1390
AG
150K less than College Station?
Oogway
Because parking and water are free?
DimeBox17
AG
In my opinion the mall here wouldn't gain any business by doing more renovations. They remodeled a few years go and nothing has changed as far as business goes. Online shopping has taken over.
Another thing is knowing what works here and building from that. For example, the demand for another HEB, whataburger, etc., is taken into consideration when building another. Not saying a Whole
Foods wouldn't work here but when you have 4 HEB locations and the majority of their business stemming from students, it may be hard to invest that kind of money to build a WF not knowing the success of it here.

Not an expert by any means but just a few thoughts that came to mind.
Captn_Ag05
AG
gus1390 said:

I assume the OP meant the combined population of BCS area, since the August population per the City of CS is 116,426. But, the Lafayette metro area is at least as large as BCS if not larger.
95_Aggie
AG
Malls are dead
techno-ag
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

gus1390 said:

I assume the OP meant the combined population of BCS area, since the August population per the City of CS is 116,426. But, the Lafayette metro area is at least as large as BCS if not larger.
That's a common mistake. They often seem to look at only the CS pop numbers and not the entire county when deciding.
halibut sinclair
txcajun
AG
Right, I meant the combined population, including Bryan.

"College Station and Bryan together make up the Bryan-College Station metropolitan area, the 14th-largest metropolitan area in Texas with 255,589 people as of the 2015."

A&M is 2nd largest in nation, wasn't referring to Texas specifically, but yes.

I don't want the mall renovated, either. Just seems like HEB and other places get a high amount of traffic at all hours of the day, and frequently sell out of stuff. Just surprised it gets crowded/busy here - that's all. Also, really hate to see what that Arrington/Fitch intersection looks like in a few years - it's already a cluster.
agnerd
AG
College Station is too close to Houston. I can put a Whole Foods in CS with 250k in its service area or I can build a 10th Whole Foods in Houston with its 6.3 million population and each store's average service area goes from 700k to 630k people. I know I'm overly simplifying it, but you would need to build 16 more Whole Food stores in Houston before the first one in College Station would serve as many people.
BlazeHarper
txcajun said:

The mall here looks like it hasn't been renovated since the late 80s, and it smells like it, too.
And what is exactly wrong with our 80s mall? I love that 80s smell...makes me want to get the new Billy Idol album on cassette. Someone invent a time machine and come pick me up ! But seriously um not to get off topic but you see a run down mall from the 80s and I see the future home of CSPD !

Oogway
If CSPD uses the mall, then they ought to be driving black Pontiac Trans Ams with the eagle on the hood.
australopithecus robustus
1). BCS is too close to Houston, Austin
2) The area still lacks other industry than TAMU, which makes for 35 weeks of retail sales, not 52.
3). Per the TAMU Real Estate center, BCS ranks very poorly on per capita retail spending.
oklaunion
My spouse and I were talking about the mall yesterday and I figured I had gone in once in the last 3 years or so and that was to Sears for a repair part. We used to go all the time 20 years ago.
Rexter
Amazon should take over the mall and use it as a DC, and allow locals to go pick up any in stock items instead of shipping the stuff.
The Original AG 76
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

2) The area still lacks other industry than TAMU, which makes for 35 weeks of retail sales, not 52.
3). Per the TAMU Real Estate center, BCS ranks very poorly on per capita retail spending.
THIS
Lafayette is the center of a ( sometimes) vibrant oilfield service region. LOTS of very high paying blue collar jerbs that generate a ton of disposable income. And as many of us know ...NO ONE spends more on adult toys ( get your minds outa the gutter..I'm talking bout jet skis, trucks,876" TV's...) and high priced entertainment than well paid oilfield trash. Lafayette is also on one of the most travelled interstates in the country.
The BCS demographics will soon turn upwards WRT disposable income as more and more well to do Former Student retirees flock to this area. That trend is just beginning. TAMU really entered the mainstream in the mid 70's attracting more city boys and girls than country boys. Older Ags , like my dad ( 44), after working for 45 years in the big city retired back to the small E Texas town he grew up in. Fast forward to my generation of Ags. We are FROM the big cities and are just now retiring. We look around and really don't want to retire in a big city for a number of reasons. A TON of us see BCS as our " other " hometown and are coming home. As soon as the powers that be figure out how to capitalize on this ( this may be way beyond the overlords of CS to understand, not enough chances to over regulate, tax and stifle ) I think that BCS will see more and more of the growth and amenities that the OP was referencing.
Anonymous Source
S
Oogway said:

If CSPD uses the mall, then they ought to be driving black Pontiac Trans Ams with the eagle on the hood.
As a former owner, "thunder chicken" is the preferred nomenclature.
Gig 'Em
Oogway
CollegeStationAgFan said:

Oogway said:

Haha! I didn't know that!

Original Ag 76--why do people call them oilfield trash? I don't know anyone in that line of work well enough to ask and it seems like a harsh description of people.

As far as retirees go, there are quite a few move-in retirees in my neighborhood. I don't know about the tax situation for them, I assumed theirs were frozen, but they are always out walking around and using the parks near me and I think the money the city has spent on sidewalks is a plus for them. Some seniors are really better off walking than driving that's for sure! I feel pretty strongly about keeping the city amenable to that, it can encourage folks to be healthy instead of fearful (i.e. "I don't feel safe walking due to traffic so I won't walk).

Some people use the mall for walking, but that has never held any interest for me.
Welcome the retirees for sure but the downside to them is that they don't spend much $.

What's needed is 25-40 singles with $65k + incomes. That's what missing.
OnlyANobody
Quote:

What's needed is employers who pay $65k + incomes. That's what missing.
FIFY
Yes. Please refer to item 2 of my previous statement.

Captn_Ag05
AG
I'm surprised Sharp/TAMU haven't started a Sun City type development.
OnlyANobody
My bad. I actually read that post yesterday and the one I replied to today. I've slept since then and forgot that you covered this.
The Original AG 76
AG
Oogway said:

CollegeStationAgFan said:

Oogway said:

Haha! I didn't know that!

Original Ag 76--why do people call them oilfield trash? I don't know anyone in that line of work well enough to ask and it seems like a harsh description of people.

As far as retirees go, there are quite a few move-in retirees in my neighborhood. I don't know about the tax situation for them, I assumed theirs were frozen, but they are always out walking around and using the parks near me and I think the money the city has spent on sidewalks is a plus for them. Some seniors are really better off walking than driving that's for sure! I feel pretty strongly about keeping the city amenable to that, it can encourage folks to be healthy instead of fearful (i.e. "I don't feel safe walking due to traffic so I won't walk).

Some people use the mall for walking, but that has never held any interest for me.
Oilfield trash is what we call ourselves. kinda term of endearment. Its still a bit of a wild wild west rough n tumble industry although that is ( sadly) changing.
Oogway
Ah, okay! So, you're oilfield outlaws so to speak! I really do need to read more about the history of the oil industry. You'd think I would know it, but it just isn't really covered much in some schools/classes. Plus, the real stories are more often found on the front porch and around the barbecue than in books...

Captn_Ag-- I expect that is what Traditions is/was supposed to be? Maybe they need to market a development that is less golf centered and for the more frugal minded? Putting something out near Rellis will kickstart the commercial retail that is already cropping up out that way. Still don't understand why HEB decided to go with 2818 and Wellborn when they could have had a near monopoly west of the tracks (save the Walmart)
The Original AG 76
AG
Oogway said:

Ah, okay! So, you're oilfield outlaws so to speak! I really do need to read more about the history of the oil industry. You'd think I would know it, but it just isn't really covered much in some schools/classes. Plus, the real stories are more often found on the front porch and around the barbecue than in books...

Captn_Ag-- I expect that is what Traditions is/was supposed to be? Maybe they need to market a development that is less golf centered and for the more frugal minded? Putting something out near Rellis will kickstart the commercial retail that is already cropping up out that way. Still don't understand why HEB decided to go with 2818 and Wellborn when they could have had a near monopoly west of the tracks (save the Walmart)
Get The Big Rich. An absolutely fantastic about the birth of the Texas Oil Bidness . Tells the tales of the giants who made and lost insane fortunes in the early days. Great read . You wont be able to put it down.
The Original AG 76
AG
Oogway said:

NO ONE does demographic research better than HEB and WalMart. You can bet that HEB knows that there is a YUGE underserved region from 2818 all the way down Wellborn to Millican. There are tons of homes out there with new hoods coming on line. All we have is Tower Point ( crowded as hell) and Kroger on RP. I would rather get a root canal than drive down RP and the school zones, traffic traps and recently construction. Plus that Kroger is also usually packed. The new HEB and its surrounding development will be a great addition for the south county area.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Oogway said:

Traditions is single family homes, right? I think a mix of apartments, duplexes, and smaller homes would be needed for retirees. My parents recently relocated to Georgetown and live in a "cottage" home. They love it and it's a perfect size for them. They'd prefer to be in BCS if a similar property existed.
The Original AG 76
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Oogway said:

Traditions is single family homes, right? I think a mix of apartments, duplexes, and smaller homes would be needed for retirees. My parents recently relocated to Georgetown and live in a "cottage" home. They love it and it's a perfect size for them. They'd prefer to be in BCS if a similar property existed.
Traditions does have " cottage " or patio homes and even apartment type townhouse. I think they are called their " villas" . BUT they are pricey...Not many medium cost options out there.
Oogway
Thanks for the tip! I wrote that down as I have recently finished my latest read.

As far as HEB and demo studies, I believe you, but I was hoping they would avoid adding to the traffic nightmare in that area that is rapidly becoming long term. I get that it is all about the current $$, but the intersection at Wellborn/2818 has issues and especially the one at Holleman/2818.
The Original AG 76
AG
Oogway said:

Thanks for the tip! I wrote that down as I have recently finished my latest read.

As far as HEB and demo studies, I believe you, but I was hoping they would avoid adding to the traffic nightmare in that area that is rapidly becoming long term. I get that it is all about the current $$, but the intersection at Wellborn/2818 has issues and especially the one at Holleman/2818.
no doubt the city and the county needs to do a TON of infrastructure work on the entire Wellborn Rd . BUT remember this is the gang that spent a year or 2 putting in the new traffic light and intersection at GP and Wellborn and BEFORE THE ASPHALT was dry they tore the damn thing up to put in the needed turn lanes !! Insanely incompetent .
deh40
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Welcome the retirees for sure but the downside to them is that they don't spend much $.

What's needed is 25-40 singles with $65k + incomes. That's what missing.
I agree more better paying jobs are needed, but I don't know what retirees you are talking about that don't spend much money. All that I know spend considerably more than a single making $65k.
That's a good point. I was using $65k as the "minimum wage" for singles in that age group. $100k+ are the ones I'm really referring to. Look at Austin.

Even with all of the wealthy retirees, we still lag behind towns like Victoria in per capita retail spending. Retirees are smart with their money, singles making $100k+ are still blowing it and having fun.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.