Construction/Stores - General Growth

4,062 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jac4
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

That's a good point. I was using $65k as the "minimum wage" for singles in that age group. $100k+ are the ones I'm really referring to. Look at Austin.

Even with all of the wealthy retirees, we still lag behind towns like Victoria in per capita retail spending. Retirees are smart with their money, singles making $100k+ are still blowing it and having fun.
Lets go back to the OP......

"smaller cities seem to have more options in regards to groceries, FedEx/UPS, shopping, and other things . I'm not advocating more strip malls, ....... and we lack so many things. I mean, even Lafayette, LA has a Whole Foods"

These example are EXACTLY what well to do retirees WILL spend money on. More and more wealthy retirees will absolutely mean that more and more upscale Whole Paycheck type places spring up.
Captn_Ag05
AG
More retirees will also lead to more healthcare professionals, which would bring more $$$.
australopithecus robustus
No doubt. In the big picture, the more the better.

I'm just focusing in on the major demographic that is deficient here.
txcajun
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

No doubt. In the big picture, the more the better.

I'm just focusing in on the major demographic that is deficient here.
My wife and I are definitely blessed to have great jobs. Individually we both fall well above the income range you're describing, in our early 30s, and we don't have kids, yet. However, even with that, some of these homes aren't exactly cheap, or even desirable. We looked at Castle Gate II and other neighborhoods. I'd rather live in a mobile home on some land than a 300k POS Omega or David Weekley home that's built right on top of my neighbor. LOL So what did we do? Purchased 30 acres, found a custom builder, doing our own thing, because in the end, it's about the same as buying a 380-450k home here in town. Plus, I'd like to be able to open my back door and see trees, not a fence and my neighbors patio. Guess it's personal preference.

Anyway, just my two cents. I think a lot of builders/developers around here got greedy. Take a drive around Castle Gate - complete cluster.
jac4
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Oogway said:

Thanks for the tip! I wrote that down as I have recently finished my latest read.

As far as HEB and demo studies, I believe you, but I was hoping they would avoid adding to the traffic nightmare in that area that is rapidly becoming long term. I get that it is all about the current $$, but the intersection at Wellborn/2818 has issues and especially the one at Holleman/2818.
no doubt the city and the county needs to do a TON of infrastructure work on the entire Wellborn Rd . BUT remember this is the gang that spent a year or 2 putting in the new traffic light and intersection at GP and Wellborn and BEFORE THE ASPHALT was dry they tore the damn thing up to put in the needed turn lanes !! Insanely incompetent .

That's bc UP wanted Straub/Wade closed ASAP and the county quickly fell in line. For what? I'm not sure.

Despite racing for the closures and the poorly conceived initial construction of the GP intersection, UP still hasn't made the siding that was so urgent.

I will say that the contractor for the redo and GP widening, I believe Knife River, worked their collective rear ends off. As a commuter through that area, they did a great job by my observation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.