Concert at Reed.

13,317 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 75AG
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KBTX is broadcasting the concert on the CW - ch 8 on Suddenlink.
farmersfight
AG
any thoughts on who is the special guest?
momlaw
AG
See previous, Lady Gaga.
momlaw
australopithecus robustus
Saw gunner,

This deal is totally different than trying to promote a concert that's bankable.

1) five presidents are attending
2) it's a fundraiser for a once in a lifetime hurricane
3) consequently, there's probably donated talent, advertising etc with no fees

Your point is void
bonfiresmoke
It was an amazing event. The five presidents, the perfomers, and suprise guest Lady Gaga. Not a lot of people will ever see five former United States of America Presidents in one place.
Kitten With A Whip
It would have been nice to include President trump. I realize the security for that is more extensive, but the then standing President Clinton was present for the grand opening of the Bush Library. Former First Lady, Ladybird Johnson was in attendance along with former Presidents Ford, Carter, Mrs. Reagan standing in for former President Regan [he was very ill at the time], Bush and then President Clinton.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Nope. Better without him there.
bcstx06
Did anyone else catch the part when one of the Gatlin Brothers said something like "We are out here at Reed Arena in Bryan, Texas.......Sorry, College Station, Texas. LOL!
aggiepaintrain
AG
Crowd cheered loudest for Obama.

Event was great and Lady Gaga was awesome.
Look Out Below
AG
There was a message from Trump played during the show so technically he was included, just not in person.

I also seriously doubt security would have been any greater had he attended. SS had that place locked down big time.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
When was the last concert in Reed before tonight? I remember going to see Garth years ago. There were a few concerts initially, but nothing for a long time.
O.G.
australopithecus robustus said:

Saw gunner,

This deal is totally different than trying to promote a concert that's bankable.

Your point is void
Wow, you are timely.

The point is that it CAN be done here. As is stated in several other places, Garth, among others has played here.

If you book them, the people will come.
75AG
AG
SAWgunner said:

Saw gunner,

Your point is void
Wow, you are timely.

The point is that it CAN be done here. As is stated in several other places, Garth, among others has played here.

The performers at this concert, performed for free. Until and unless the TMF relinquishes total control of Reed, it's not economically feasible for performers to come here.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Garth, among others has played here.
One performer, from almost 20 years ago now, does not prove your point.
fcag
AG
Last concert I remember at Reed was in 2014 for First Yell. It was Max Stallings, Roger Creager, Johnny Bush, Gary P. Nunn, and Joe Ely.
O.G.
The defeatism in this town is staggering.

You're right. It can't be done here. We shouldn't even try. Austin and Houston are just too much for us to overcome.

We can never leave the South West Conference because we have to play the Longhorns every year to justify our existence. We must accept that we are just a Waco or Lubbock and not even try.

Downtown Bryan is shuttered and closed and those locations will never make a come back.

We're not big enough for a world class marathon to be hosted here.

About 15-20 years ago I also heard people say that bars/restaurants and gas stations at what is now Tower Point will never work because, "The city would never let you". (you can insert "the city" for "they" as needed).......

There is a pavilion in Columbia Maryland, it's the that the pavilion in the Woodlands is based on. Columbia sits almost exactly between DC in Baltimore. Much bigger venues, in Bmore and DC. Stadiums, arenas etc. However, Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia Maryland consistently competes for major headline bands, year in and year out. It's a good thing no one told them that they couldn't do it.

The point is, if you have a venue and you book good acts, people will show up. I drove 8 hours to see George Strait play in Lubbock.

You book a headliner in Reed, people will buy tickets. Or not. But saying that it can't be done, when it's clearly been shown that it very well can, by hook or by crook, especially when the biggest artist of the 90s played there, is a laughable.
Delmar Berry
SAWgunner said:

The defeatism in this town is staggering.

Yep. Crabs in a basket here.
Tanya 93
75AG said:

SAWgunner said:

Saw gunner,

Your point is void
Wow, you are timely.

The performers at this concert, performed for free. Until and unless the TMF relinquishes total control of Reed, it's not economically feasible for performers to come here.
BS.

I live in a college town situated two hours between two major cities.
They had a three day music festival less than a month ago. And they have done it for several years. They don't have problems getting known artists.

Are they getting Adele? No, but they are getting quality acts.

We have two film festivals here.

Of course BCS can get the performers. I would have loved not to have had to leave town to see people when we lived there.
nashvilleaggie11
It's just a whole lot of money to bring in quality acts in the first place. On top of that, the only good venue of size is Reed which usually costs an arm and a leg to rent out. TAMU likely donated the use of Reed to the Bush Foundation for the concert on Saturday (but not totally sure). If some concert promoter, like myself, were to go rent it, it would be at least $30,000 for the day.
75AG
AG
Not arguing it can't be done. My point is the TMF controls parking, concessions, rental, and everything else involved in hosting a concert. This was all donated talent and services.

Kitten With A Whip
In the late 90's, I saw Garth Brooks' last performance and all three shows were completely sold out within a day or so of going on sale. I also saw Faith Hill and Tim McGraw the nigh before at Rudder, which was also sold out! Faith Hill sold out within an hour of going on sale. This town can indeed support these types of events... easily, and College Station isn't the same town it was 20 years ago.
Cholula Verde
AG
This was a great event and I am proud our university was fortunate to have had it here versus some of the larger metropolitan options in our state. Whoop! With that said, I remember our current university administration coming up with a host of LAME reasons why we had to DECLINE a previous commitment to be in the running as Debate site in the 2016 POTUS election. Guess that would require more secret service and law enforcement support to protect Hillary and Trump than 5 former presidents and Lady Gaga!
jrhmc
AG
I remember seeing Reba when Brooks and Dunn were opening for her at G. Rollie so we could get acts back then even before we had a better venue with Reed. I'm not sure why no one is booking acts here but I know it would sell out for many artists and not just for the Christian acts that we get every other year. Even those usually sell most if not all of their tickets.
SumAggie
nashvilleaggie11 said:

It's just a whole lot of money to bring in quality acts in the first place. On top of that, the only good venue of size is Reed which usually costs an arm and a leg to rent out. TAMU likely donated the use of Reed to the Bush Foundation for the concert on Saturday (but not totally sure). If some concert promoter, like myself, were to go rent it, it would be at least $30,000 for the day.
BTW - we were there and Sam Moore was the BEST performer there!!! Loved him!
nashvilleaggie11
I'll pass that on to him! That's very kind and I agree! He had a fantastic time. He was so honored to be involved and when you remember that he is 82 years old, it reconfirms how fantastic of a singer and performer he is!
Captn_Ag05
AG
My family and I wanted more Sam! He was incredible.
nashvilleaggie11
Oh! Shameless plug...Sam's latest album was just released and it's called An American Patriot. If you loved Sam's voice and are a proud American, this is gonna be an album you wanna hear. You should be able to buy at Target or at any of the online music stores/listen on Spotify. Here's the tracklist (it's so good!)

1. America The Beautiful
2. The Battle Hymn of the Republic
3. Show For You
4. God Bless the USA
5. The Star Spangled Banner
6. Imagine
7. Peace Please
8. God Bless America
9. Land of the Free
10. What's Going On
11. Lift Every Voice and Sing
12th Man Foundation
75AG said:

Not arguing it can't be done. My point is the TMF controls parking, concessions, rental, and everything else involved in hosting a concert. This was all donated talent and services.
Quote:

Until and unless the TMF relinquishes total control of Reed, it's not economically feasible for performers to come here.

The 12th Man Foundation does not own or control Reed Arena. It is a University property. Similarly, parking is operated by Transportation Services, and concessions is operated by Levy. We are happy to facilitate ticket sales and support in other areas when asked, but do not have control over the facility, especially to the degree implied here.
75AG
AG
12th Man Foundation said:

75AG said:

Quote:

Until and unless the TMF relinquishes total control of Reed, it's not economically feasible for performers to come here.

The 12th Man Foundation does not own or control Reed Arena. It is a University property. Similarly, parking is operated by Transportation Services, and concessions is operated by Levy. We are happy to facilitate ticket sales and support in other areas when asked, but do not have control over the facility, especially to the degree implied here.
Thanks for correcting my terribly wrong information! Please don't punish me by moving me to worse seats.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.