Herd of stray cats

2,478 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Fonzie Scheme
AGinSEC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Help

I tried to get animal control to come and catch the cat last year so it could get taken care of, but they made it incredibly hard to schedule the trapping and removal and wanted me to get permission from my neighbors (abandoned houses... I have never seen them)

Now the cat has created its own colony and they are slowly building an army to take over the neighborhood.

Is there a animal control that isn't the city's animal control. I just need someone to actually come and fix this. They are pooping everywhere and my dog is getting very close to catching them (and whatever diseases they carry)

Eliminatus
AG
Coupla rescues also trap, though not sure of requirements if any.

Look up BCS Spay and ask them for help/ideas.
birdman
You didn't say what you city you live in. Most towns will pick up any stray cats that you catch. You don't need the city to trap them. Some will even provide you with a trap.
ratfacemcdougal
Friend in Bryan had lots of strays. Somebody came out, trapped them, fixed them, clipped their ears, then returned them to my friend. They would not trap and take away and euthanize or take to shelter. I will see if I can find out who did the deed.
OnlyANobody
There used to be a group called Brazos Feral Cat Allies that did this. It has disbanded. I "have" a feral who was TNR'ed and all her kitties were young enough to be tamed and re-homed. (I have one of them) She's been here since we bought the house 10 years ago.
AGinSEC
I am in college station! I will happily trap them and get someone to come get them and get them all taken care of then let them loose. There are 5-6 kittens so hopefully they are still young enough
WildlifeAg02
Oh, sorry to hear you're having trouble getting Animal Control out to assist. I've never had any issues, since they work late and could come to set the trap around 7pm or so. I think you need to be home the first time you request it though, as you have to sign some paperwork regarding responsibility for the trap. :-/

Maybe worth another shot to try calling them again tomorrow? Remember, you don't speak with an Animal Control officer on your first call.

Cats are also difficult to catch if someone is feeding them in the area- I ended up pleading with my neighbors because "their" cats were wearing paths in my yard to stalk the bird feeders and baths.
Please try again! I like my songbirds! :-)
AggieBarstool
OnlyANobody said:

There used to be a group called Brazos Feral Cat Allies that did this.
BCS Spay has taken this on from BFCA.

OP: please reach out to them. Amy will work with you if the colony is big enough and she has the volunteers who are willing to do it. If you offer to assist (look after traps, bait them, etc.) it'll help.
threecatcorner
Glad to hear BCS Spay has taken that on.

There is also a barn cat group. Not sure about details, but they will relocate feral cats to barns where people will let them stay and catch mice. I will see if the flyer I saw is still up tomorrow and see what it says.
Cancelled
AG
Maybe it's because I'm a cat person, but what's the problem with a few cats? The kill vermin and snakes.
PS3D
queso1 said:

Maybe it's because I'm a cat person, but what's the problem with a few cats? The kill vermin and snakes.
The big problem with uncontrolled cat populations in residential areas is that they'll attract predators to the area, like coyotes and wolves.
montegobay
I am a cat person too; however, free-roaming ferals who are not spayed can produce 2-3 litters of kittens per year. The overpopulation gets out of control quickly. Get these kids spayed ASAP.
Oogway
Cat colonies may keep some of the rodents away but they also kill songbirds. Even the pet cats whose owners let out for the night can be a nuisance because they use everyone else's yard as a litterbox and have disagreements with other cats in the wee morning hours.
AggieBarstool
PS3D said:

queso1 said:

The big problem with uncontrolled cat populations in residential areas is that they'll attract predators to the area, like coyotes and wolves.
I'd like to see some figures in print to "prove" this. Not saying your fibbing, but I don't necessarily believe it.
PS3D
AggieBarstool said:

PS3D said:

queso1 said:

I'd like to see some figures in print to "prove" this. Not saying your fibbing, but I don't necessarily believe it.
This is what I had heard by my cousin who lived in an apartment complex in Dallas with stray cats and having problems with wild animals out when trying to walk his dog, but they are a real problem nonetheless across the United States.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/coyotes/tips/coyotes_pets.html?credit=web_id97829156
http://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/the-la-beat/11230-doublethink-leaves-la-torn-between-coyotes-and-feral-cats
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/advice/animal-doctor-leaving-food-out-for-cats-and-coyotes/2016/12/02/84fea58c-b697-11e6-959c-172c82123976_story.html
Fonzie Scheme
AG
PS3D said:

queso1 said:

Wolves don't live around here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.