Erosion - Dirt Work

711 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by EvenPar
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since Harvey we have some erosion in the back of our house which has exposed quite a bit of our slab. Is there a company that will deliver dirt perhaps 1 or 2 yards. Will they pack and spread it as well or would we have to find someone else to do that?
And no we don't want to do it ourselves we don't have the time.
Thanks.
kraut
AG
My $0.02 - before you pay someone to fill in your erosion issue, you may want to investigate what is causing the erosion. Is this a newer home? Is this going to be a recurring situation where you are bringing in 1-2 yards of dirt every other year? If so, talk with your builder about it. Is it a gutter issue - do you have gutters in the rear? If not, it would be wise to look into that additional expense and get that water away from the roof drip-line. Is there water coming from adjacent lots? If there is, is there any way to divert it away from the eroded area, i.e. re-grading away from the house foundation.

I've been disappointed in a lot of the home builders in the way yards are graded (or not in a lot of cases), but they will be the best people to know who can deliver and place the fill you need. Just make sure it's not a situation where you are having to do this over and over again after any substantial rain event.

And before anyone asks, I don't work for a contractor or gutter installer!
OnlyANobody
Solid advice. We live in an established neighborhood (homes built 88ish) and went rounds with our former backyard neighbor about drainage. They had standing water in their yard and blamed our pool. We actually have a French drain and they wanted us to pay for them to be able to tap into it.

We brought in plumbers, landscape guys, et cetera. They reported us to the city for creating a hazard.

It was determined to be a grading issue starting four houses away, with each having an area of some amount of standing water in the yard.

EvenPar
AG
Thanks for the concern. I am looking in to the cause of the problem. Def don't want a recurring issue.

Do you have any suggestions for the current repair of the yard?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.