Bend Over Citizens

5,214 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by carpe vinum
duffelpud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The lords have once again increased the taxes of the serfs to pay off their vassals, although it looks like lord Rektorik took a symbolic knee.

"What's this button do?"
Captn_Ag05
AG
There goes my Century Square parking money!
AgGunNut
AG
His symbolic kneee was not what you think. If you paid attention to the meeting, he voted against the raise because he wanted a higher rate...
carpe vinum
AG
It's amazing how many tax and spend progressives and developers this constituency elects.
Regardless the mantra, the result is the same, taxpayers pay for their personal legacy.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
Rexter
I propose the city adopt the slogan
"BOHICA....Texas Style"
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

His symbolic kneee was not what you think. If you paid attention to the meeting, he voted against the raise because he wanted a higher rate...

Exactly - just like the NFL players who are taking the knee, it's all symbolism over substance; they are all still 'playing the game' and 'getting their paychecks'.
"What's this button do?"
SARATOGA
Remember - there are 2 components to the equation. The RATE, and the VALUATION.

Everybody protest your value.

Everybody.

If they are overwhelmed with protests they won't be able to handle them all and will have to acquiesce to all reasonable requests, and they won't be able to pull their extra 6 million - that will teach them.

Overwhelm the appraisers office with protests on your valuation !

agnerd
AG
Kind of sad. I'm on a MUD board outside Houston city limits. We have paid off all our infrastructure and DROPPED the tax rate every year for the last 30 years from 1.15% to 0.15%. We keep lowering it by about 5% every year because the county keeps raising property values by 5% per year. We don't need more money than we already get, so we lower the rate to take in the same amount of money to cover our very minor maintenance costs. Harvey damaged a lot of our equipment, so it was a big deal that we aren't going to reduce the rate this year, but will resume the reductions next year. Kind of proud of what we've been able to accomplish by being fiscally responsible. Makes me mad that other government entities (especially cities with the amount of buying and negotiating power they have) don't show the same restraint.

And they go and annex other areas so they can impose their fiscal irresponsibility on others that didn't sign up for it. But that's a topic for a different rant!
Frio Cielo
One word comment....Pogo.
nought
AG
It is one thing to complain about this, but what can we do about it? Of course, we should all keep in mind who the current council members are when election time comes around. But, is there anything else citizens can do at this point? It sounds like the City Council, without all that much thought, just agreed to build the Taj Mahal of police stations without due consideration of cutting back other expenditures, exploring multiple locations, utilizing other un-used city property, etc.

I know there is a recall process for certain things, but what can be done about something like this (given enough effort/signatures/etc.)?
AgGunNut
AG
nought said:

It is one thing to complain about this, but what can we do about it? Of course, we should all keep in mind who the current council members are when election time comes around. But, is there anything else citizens can do at this point? It sounds like the City Council, without all that much thought, just agreed to build the Taj Mahal of police stations without due consideration of cutting back other expenditures, exploring multiple locations, utilizing other un-used city property, etc.

I know there is a recall process for certain things, but what can be done about something like this (given enough effort/signatures/etc.)?

They actually are using unused city property.
nought
AG
AgGunNut said:

They actually are using unused city property.

I should have been more clear -- not just property, but unused office space and unused retail space the city currently owns. Doesn't the city still have a bunch of empty retail space due to their "investment" in the Chimney Hill shopping center? Perhaps, for less than $28 million, some of the office space needs of the police department could be met.
AgGunNut
AG
There's a whole other thread that beats that topic like a dead horse.
TellMeMore
Um......have you heard, Chimney Hill is being developed. That puts it ON the tax rolls. City buildings are tax exempt.
DBSwooper
TellMeMore said:

Um......have you heard, Chimney Hill is being developed. That puts it ON the tax rolls. City buildings are tax exempt.
Is it Wednesday again? I guess it's time for another Chimney Hill is going to be something soon post...
kraut
AG
There's not much retail space left at Chimney Hill...

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6340211,-96.329731,3a,75y,87.27h,90.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI_9h1gJ_exuNxlb2sq30Rg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
carpe vinum
AG
The County is next to adopt this thinking with the 2 new CS Council graduates on the Commissioners Court.
MB19
AG
carpe vinum said:

The County is next to adopt this thinking with the 2 new CS Council graduates on the Commissioners Court.
City council is unpaid. County commissioners are well paid. Think about it.
carpe vinum
AG
Not "well", but paid.
What are they up to now? Last I heard it was about $50K plus travel.
TAMU1990
AG
It's time to make local officials run as either republican or democrat.
carpe vinum
AG
In our case it's been progressives v. developers, and both want to spend taxpayer money on their own agendas.
Maybe pick fiscal conservative or liberal.
aggie59
AG
Carpe in our case its not having a choice,you could put all the candidates for public office in a paper sack shake it up pull one out and he wouldn't be any different than the others in the sack,as Wendy 1990 said its time to run on party lines so we can have a choice of candidates with different views and approaches to solving problems.The tax and spend mentality is stronger here in College Station than it is in Washington,DC and pay attention from whom these candidates get their support ,the final campaign financial reports are filed after the elections are over and often times reveal suprissing donors and amounts.As Carpe said there is a power grab for the control of Brazos County by the City of CS, wait untill their their tax and spend policies permeate the Commisioners court
AgGunNut
AG
You do always have the choice to run yourself or support someone to run that you know has similar views to you.
duffelpud
AG
STAFF: Please explain why you deleted the post that provided the information about how to contact each council person and showing what they pay vs what their assessed taxes are? It was all information publicly available and posted online. In fact, there is a lot more information available at the City of College Station Web site that includes financial disclosure forms for each council person. Were you pressured to delete the information and, if so, by whom and why? If not, what policy prevents the posting of public information about our public "servants"?
"What's this button do?"
91_Aggie
AG
duffelpud said:

STAFF: Please explain why you deleted the post that provided the information about how to contact each council person and showing what they pay vs what their assessed taxes are? It was all information publicly available and posted online. In fact, there is a lot more information available at the City of College Station Web site that includes financial disclosure forms for each council person. Were you pressured to delete the information and, if so, by whom and why? If not, what policy prevents the posting of public information about our public "servants"?
Hi!, Welcome to Texags!
moneyinthebananastand
I found it fascinating that most of the council appeared to pay taxes several thousand dollars below the assessed value - one only paid four thousand and something of an almost eleven thousand assessment. Is that because their taxes were 'over 65 frozen'?
InMyOpinion
91_Aggie said:

duffelpud said:

Hi!, Welcome to Texags!

Sure would be nice if there was a site where people could share and exchange ideas and information. Something like that would be great and allow people to become more informed about their community and local government.
Post removed:
by user
duffelpud
AG
Here is the link to information each candidate submits to the city linked from the city council Website. It takes you directly to Barry Moore's info, but by clicking on the blue 'Candidate Information', then 'Current Council', it will take you to all the current members plus those who have filed in the upcoming election.

Below are links to their publicly posted property tax information:

Jerome Rektorik
Karl Mooney
Linda Harvell
Blanche Brick
Julie Schultz
Daniel Moore
James Benham
"What's this button do?"
CS78
duffelpud said:

plus those who have filed in the upcoming election.
Any of those worth throwing our support behind?
MosesHallRAB83
carpe vinum
AG
Pretty good bet that Bob Brick will vote the same way as his wife.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.