Parking charges at Century Square

53,166 Views | 260 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cyp0111
jrhmc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In case anyone wants to eat at Century Square (Zoe's Kitchen, Hoppdoddy, etc.), they now charge $3 per hour for parking in the lot. We're eating at Eccell instead.
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
Geez. They must have moved quick to install metered parking. We ate at Blaze last night and parked for free. There was no signage indicating paid parking was coming.

Is it pay by the space at a meter or did they install an access gate?
jrhmc
AG
Pay by the space. The guy who stopped me after I parked said it starts today but would have been earlier if the hurricane hadn't delayed the installation of the meters.
jrhmc
AG
There's still no signage. Just guy standing in the lot telling you to pay or they'll tow you.
techno-ag
AG
Would not be surprised if that chases some customers away.
jrhmc
AG
I left and so did two other people who were told at the same time as I was.
halibut sinclair
How does that work? Do you have to know how long you're going to be there beforehand or does this guy come looking for you after the first hour?
Captn_Ag05
AG
That seems crazy. Is the parking garage open? Will that be a charge also?
BlueMiles
AG
Thanks for the warning.
nashvilleaggie11
And just like that, Century Square is DOA
91_Aggie
AG
Who is charging the $3? The complex, or the restaurants?

Need to tell businesses in there they are losing customers due to that policy.

jrhmc
AG
halibut sinclair said:

How does that work? Do you have to know how long you're going to be there beforehand or does this guy come looking for you after the first hour?
I'm not sure. He told me I had to pay at the meter and put in my license plate number then put the receipt on the dash. I'm guessing you'll have the option to add time if you stay longer. Probably the same way it works in the university garages where you can text to add time. I didn't see the garage open but I didn't stay long after being told that it was going to cost us $6 extra dollars to eat at Zoe's since I was meeting my husband there for lunch.
jrhmc
AG
91_Aggie said:

Who is charging the $3? The complex, or the restaurants?

Need to tell businesses in there they are losing customers due to that policy.

It's the complex. They installed meters.
techno-ag
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

And just like that, Century Square is DOA
Sad, but prolly true.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Terrible judgment on the part of the owners/developers.

I can see having meters for use on game days so people going to the games don't take up all the parking, but otherwise it shows a real lack of understanding of the market.
dubi
AG
Parking lot is too damn small. Cheap developers.
soso33
Hopdoddy was really good, but parking at Grub is free and uncomplicated, and Grub is equally good. We'll go to Grub instead.
BlevCat
AG
We hit that at lunch today too; will not be going back to century square as long as they're charging for parking by the hour.
halibut sinclair
jrhmc said:

halibut sinclair said:

I'm not sure. He told me I had to pay at the meter and put in my license plate number then put the receipt on the dash. I'm guessing you'll have the option to add time if you stay longer. Probably the same way it works in the university garages where you can text to add time. I didn't see the garage open but I didn't stay long after being told that it was going to cost us $6 extra dollars to eat at Zoe's since I was meeting my husband there for lunch.
gotcha - from your description I thought it was just some guy collecting money.
Oogway
Maybe it is to deter students from parking and going to class? A goodwill move would be to comp parking for weekday users with a valid receipt from an establishment.
aggmaroon
AG
I'll be honest, that will definitely hurt some of those businesses. Who wants to run in and get ice cream and pay an extra $3. I guess it will work for those who are walking from campus or live there.

I will tell you this for sure - I already signed up for a membership at Orange Theory. I will cancel it if it costs me $3 to park every time I workout.
Captn_Ag05
AG
aggmaroon said:

I'll be honest, that will definitely hurt some of those businesses. Who wants to run in and get ice cream and pay an extra $3. I guess it will work for those who are walking from campus or live there.

I will tell you this for sure - I already signed up for a membership at Orange Theory. I will cancel it if it costs me $3 to park every time I workout.
I don't blame you. I would contact Orange Theory and see if they know about it and can put pressure on Century Square to drop the parking charges. For places like them that depend on recurring customers, a parking fee will be a real killer.
BlevCat
AG
Seems like this is really going to hurt the new movie theater going in there as well. If you have to pay an additional $6-$9 on top of ticket prices, I'll choose either of the other 2 theaters every time.
Captn_Ag05
AG
What about the hotels? Will they be valet only? Have a flat fee?
summergal
Torchy's got our business today!
MiMi
S
Was going to try Zoe's for lunch today. Went to Shiraz Shish Kabob instead.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Have been planning on trying several of those establishments.

Won't even bother now. Nope.

I hope the restaurant owners are reading this, because they are about to lose a not-insignificant amount of traffic with this BS $3/hour charge. I can eat practically anywhere else in B/CS for free.
jac4
AG

Century Square is pretty much the best thing to happen to this cow town, just ask the developers.
txgardengirl
I wonder (out loud) if they're modeling after citycentre in Houston (home of Grub and some quality shopping) - there you have a meter to pay for ground spots right in front of the businesses but the higher levels of the garage are free.

Maybe soon they'll offer valet...

But, while the concept works in a big city, that's a hard pill to swallow for our little BCS.

Although - everyone thought the parking garage in NG was a total fail for several years - and now it's packed on party nights...
KidDoc
AG
This is a bad idea. Even Northgate parking is like $1 an hour if I want to go to BWD or Corner bar during the week. They should be comped if they are going to a local business. $3/hr is really high for Aggieland.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Original AG 76
AG
jrhmc said:

Pay by the space. The guy who stopped me after I parked said it starts today but would have been earlier if the hurricane hadn't delayed the installation of the meters.
The law is quite clear regarding towing. A " guy" standing around is NOT a legal Notice about Towing. The spaces must be properly marked, the entrances MUST have clear signage WITH the name and contact info of the towing company etc... If your car is towed from a lot without the proper signage etc you can file charges for an illegal tow and car theft.
James Russell
AG
And the Northgate surface lot is free 11:00 AM-2:00 PM weekdays for lunch. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't go to BWD for lunch very often when their little lot is full.
techno-ag
AG
jac4 said:

Century Square is pretty much the best thing to happen to this cow town, just ask the developers.
Well, it was nice while it lasted. I don't see how they can make it in this town with that parking fee. Places have failed for less.
ro828
When I read this aloud to my family Mrs. Ro couldn't believe it. She called Zoe's Kitchen and yes, it is true. The Zoe's Kitchen management is furious about this and is urging patrons to make their opinions heard.

I can understand about the problem of students parking there all day (and predicted that issue when Century Square was under construction). But if you're not paying to park at the Galleria or Woodlands Mall, there's no reason to do so here.
halibut sinclair

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.