Country Musicians Needed

2,557 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tashort726
Lyjesm0509
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy everyone, I'm in need of some musician recommendations...

An organization I'm in is having their national convention out at the Brazos County Expo and is looking for some country musicians to play in the background for their "Welcome to Texas BBQ" on Saturday, October 28 from about 6:30pm-9:30pm.

The gig pays $500 so we are probably looking for students who can play some country covers, as opposed to a full blown wedding reception style band.

Solo, duo or a even a small group of 3 are probably ideal, but we love the idea of band who can play the fiddle/banjo/mandolin along with the guitar. Since this is a national event, we want to give our guests a taste of Texas, so traditional country artists and some Texas country artist covers are preferable.

Please let me know if this sounds like you or someone you know...
BMo
Mandolin player of this bluegrass band lives here in town though based out of Houston. Posted because of instruments you listed. They are very good and play tunes from different genres.

Lonestar Bluegrass Band
tmaggies
AG
David Lewis Band Bellville,Tx
nashvilleaggie11
Email me at jackie@revive45music.com

I'm kind of the go to person for booking music in the Brazos Valley
GSS
"Texas country music"---fiddle, hell yes. Mandolin...possibly. Banjo?---bluegrass (think "Kentucky")

There is a local traditional country music band, the Westernaires. Fiddle and steel. Their price is likely reasonable, for a local and not lengthy gig.

Edited to add: Every year during the B-CS CoC crawfish boil, they have a band in the background doing what you describe...and it includes a fiddle, standup bass, and guitar. Might check with the Chamber for contact info.
AG 86 BC
AG
Julia Hatfield from Navasota.

If she is not already booked, she would be great.

juliahatfield.com

ftpatches
Armadillo Road out of Austin. From their website, armadilloroad.com

"Their sound, heavily influenced by traditional country music and such artists as Merle Haggard, Hank Williams, Bocephus, George Strait and George Jones, they have that pure country goodness. Songs of drinking, good times, love, and heartbreak blend together seamlessly as Armadillo Road takes you on a journey that has pit stops everywhere from sorrow to heartache and hillbilly hell raising. Their brilliant melodies, soulful harmonies and rich lyrical content allow listeners to be engulfed by sound; honky tonk sound."

Talk to TeeJay Hill. He's a very good guy.
Tim Weaver
Hate to tell you what you already know, but 500 dollars doesn't buy you a band worthy of this "International event". It gets you some local yocals that won't be that good.
AggieRebel
AG
Tim Weaver said:

Hate to tell you what you already know, but 500 dollars doesn't buy you a band worthy of this "International event". It gets you some local yocals that won't be that good.

That's not correct. I book bands every week and you can get a lot of talented musicians for $500 or less
Tim Weaver
Which is part of the problem. Until people value the lifetime commitment that a serious musician has devoted to their craft, the prices that events pay for live music will never get to the point that these 500 dollar bands can make a living.

I've been in the music industry for over 20 years, and I work with bands that you hear on the radio and TV. A lot of those guys would want 500 EACH PERSON to play a one-off show like this.

Don't forget that each one of those guys is going to pack up 5 to 10 thousand dollars into their personal car and drive however far just to get to this gig. If it's a 5 piece band they make 100 bucks each, minus a meal and gas.

Tell you what. Why don't you hire 4-5 plumbers to come to your event for 6 hours, from 5pm to 11pm. Whatever they charge you, I'll find a band to play for that amount.
nashvilleaggie11
OK Tim, simmer down. I've been in the industry for quite a while too and while I do agree with you about the importance of valuing musicians, I think OP knows what he is going to get for the money. That's why he said something about maybe students who are musicians and maybe even just having a duo or trio. I think you'd agree that a younger local musician would probably be happy with $500 for a duo or trio show!
Tim Weaver
nashvilleaggie11 said:

OK Tim, simmer down. I've been in the industry for quite a while too and while I do agree with you about the importance of valuing musicians, I think OP knows what he is going to get for the money. That's why he said something about maybe students who are musicians and maybe even just having a duo or trio. I think you'd agree that a younger local musician would probably be happy with $500 for a duo or trio show!
Absolutely!

I'm not upset at all about it. Just trying to raise awareness about the sad business that being a musician is.

I would agree that 500 is a great price for a student band duo or trio. I do not think that a Student duo or trio is appropriate for a big event that has the cash flow to rent out the Expo center. I'd hire a DJ instead, because you'll be able to play any Texas themed music you could possibly think of.

jamiemckean
AG
Please check out www.codyjoehodges.com. Cody Joe Hodges is an Aggie (Class of '06), who actually ended up playing for the Army vocal ensemble group called "Harmony In Motion". He was named the 2016 Male Rising Star by the Texas CMA's and is an international touring artist. He lives in College Station presently and plays all over Texas and the USA. If interested, please contact me at jamiemckean@yahoo.com (Class of '97). Thanks!
nashvilleaggie11
Now if he's playing full band for $500 that is way undervaluing himself...
Lyjesm0509
AG
Hey Tim, I get what you're saying. If we had the money we would love to pay for a bigger band, but this is why I specifically asked for any students who may play and why I posted the amount we had to offer. I don't want to want to waste anyone's time and I don't want to be insulting to professionals.
But I know when I was back in college my roommate would go play guitar at Potbellys. She had no aspirations of ever being a professional musician, she just made a few extra bucks because she had the time and talent to play some covers.
AgySkeet06
AG
I get what you are trying to do and totally respect it. I remember going to different bars on odd nights or random parties on weekends with friends and there where would be a guy or two just sitting on a stool putting a an acustic show just for the fun it. Not saying any of them were necessarily nashville worthy but pretty good artist and it made the night much better. I even remember seeing Granger Smith play solo acustic shows in town when he was just a student starting out.

I mean you could have always just hooked up an ipod to a speaker with some country for free and had the background music if you wanted but you are looking for just a little more
Tashort726
My name is Thomas Short, Class of '13. I am interested and have played all over Texas. I do a lot of 90s Country and Texas Country covers. Please email me at tashort726@gmail.com.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.