Home Building Regrets...

7,448 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by csnole
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hennyj15 said:

Not trying to call you out in particular but it's a common misconception.

AC systems suck hot air out from inside your house. They don't take hot air from outside and make it cold to put in your house.

Always makes me giggle when I drive though poor neighbhoods and they have lean-tos built over their outdoor units.
It has nothing to do with sucking hot air in. Nor does it have anything to do with sucking hot air out. A/C systems don't suck air between the house and the outside at all.

OP is right that a cooler temperature of the air around the outside AC unit allows it to exchange heat better with less load on the compressor. This is a simplified read about it:

https://sciencing.com/can-outside-temperature-affect-central-ac-23326.html

For reinforcement, search this page for "don't forget about your air conditioner unit" and read what it says:

https://energy.gov/energysaver/articles/little-shade-can-go-long-way

It is actually recommended to install exterior a/c units on the north side of a house, if possible, and failing that, to install them in an area with plenty of shade.
meezermom
If you're even thinking that someday you might want an in-ground pool, think seriously about it before you build. This is the time to do it. Having *survived* having one installed last year, I speak from experience -- ruined yard, cigarette butts all over the yard, having to redo the sprinkler system because it ran under where the pool ended up going, having your back yard open to the world because part of your fence has to be gone, finding an area suitable for the equipment, and having to deal with people destroying privacy on a daily basis for over two months.

And if you are considering doing it, DO YOUR HOMEWORK on pool builders. Do a LOT of homework.
MikeTV
Somebody already mentioned going to the jobsite. Do that - be that guy. Show up and talk to the subs; see what they are doing. It makes a huge difference.

Also:
a) Wire is cheap. If you think you want something (TV jack, speaker, camera, etc.) put a wire there now. If you never use it, no big deal.
b) Wire always works. Wireless is usually ok if you have no other choice... Put wire in now; it always works and usually works a lot better than wireless.
meezermom
A designated area (in a closet presumably) for your modem and router at chest height so they are easy to access. Ours is behind the heaviest dresser in the world and having to reset it or check when they are problems is almost impossible between having to move the thing and the 15 cords back there.
VAXMaster
AG
Regret having a sink in the kitchen island. Sink is great but the under counter vent means there is always an odor. Plumber has changed the vent cap twice but to no avail.
BrazosWifi
Conduit everywhere you want data or entertainment. We have been in thousands of homes and very few do this right. Almost all of them end up with too many, too few, or the wrong type of cabling where they need it.

This includes the "home run" to the outside of the house. $10 worth of conduit makes bringing new services into your house future-proof. In many cases, we have had to drill giant holes in someone's house to run fiber optic cabling.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Keep in mind the difference if you are building a for now house or a forever house. If this is a forever house, you like ME and my parents will age.

All that trendy counter height stuff will be worthless because I can no longer after my broken hip (and I am short to add to it) climb onto tall stools. Even my current apartment has a totally for me useless kitchen counter height breakfast area.

Second, have walk in showers available. Tubs even the fancy ones with all the jets become difficult to step into. I could not find an apartment with a shower at all that would also take a large dog, but I am afraid every time I step over the tub to shower that way. I quit taking baths when I was a young adult, yet houses seem to always have more tubs than showers.

I know the trend is for two story homes, but make sure that one bedroom that could become a master bedroom and one bath are on the first floor.

Have all doors at with width to take a walker or wheelchair. This is NOT expensive when the house is built, might even help with resale, and is sometimes impossible after a house is finished.

Amen to all the utility room information. It should be large enough for a folding area, an hanging up area, and honestly a second fridge and/or freezer. If it is downstairs see if the builder can make you an old school laundry shoot or even better a dumb waiter like lift that lets you take towels and things to the second floor. I would not put the laundry on the second floor in case you ever have a plumbing or overflow issue. I have fallen down the stairs or up the stairs more than once carrying a basket of laundry.

I did NOT like the built in the wall vacuum. I prefer my dyson to anything I have ever used.

I also LOVED that my house in Laredo had exterior lighting under the eaves AND spots on all the corners. These were controlled by switches in the upstairs master bedroom. It made me feel really secure when at home alone or with just the kids. If I heard any strange sound, I simply flipped on those lights and it was almost as bright as a football field. Better to me than even a security system.

ratfacemcdougal
There is one solid irrefutable guarantee in this whole process.....when the house is finished, you will find something you would do different next time. I have drawn thousands of houses and have done multiple houses for the same clients and no one yet has said there is nothing they would change.
PS3D
Aquin said:

Had a couple of additional comments.
1. Specify that the 2X4 that touches the slab be treated lumber. It is the wood that is most likely to come in contact with moisture.
2. A lot of builders use Hardee board on the exteriors. That is good because it does not rot. However, the facia looks thin and cheap to me. I used a full cut 2X6 made of cedar for the facia board. It gives you some mass and looks substantial. Plus being cedar and in the air it will not rot.
Hardee board isn't just for "non-rotting" purposes, it also is fire-resistant.

Cedar on the other hand, while attractive, is very flammable, and WILL start rotting. My parents had to replace the siding on their garage because of this.

ro828 said:

2. We put up wooden fencing instead of chain link. Why didn't God intervene and stop us?

What's wrong with wooden fencing? I mean, there's nothing wrong with chain link, but a wooden fence tends to be more attractive and adds more visual block.
csnole
Have had ours for 9 years in the island have never had a problem with odor
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.