Home Building Regrets...

7,449 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by csnole
Firefighter7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those of you who have built a house, do you have any regrets? Are there design items you wish you'd incorporated, materials you wished you used instead, or added additional features or rooms. What would you have done differently? I will be building soon and would like to hear input from those who have built.
techno-ag
AG
I would have made our garage one foot longer. Can't close the garage door when the trailer hitch is on the truck. On the cabinets I would prefer hand grooves over knobs.
halibut sinclair
armymom
I would like a big walk in pantry and the laundry room next to master bathroom. If you have a nice dining area for more formal or larger dinners it's not necessary to waste space for a breakfast nook if you have a nice island to casual eat it at.
Bill Robbins
AG
Unless you have absolute trust in your builder, try to stop by and check on things weekly if not daily.
Aquin
AG
Most of these ideas are cheap if done in the building stage.
1. Most builders will put a three foot apron at the front of the garage. See if he will do it on three sides. If not try for two sides. The extra space is great.
2. The hvac units usually just rest on the ceiling joints. They vibrate and some have a hard start and stop. Hang them from the roof rafters by using all threads. It suspends them and makes the units quieter and easier to service.
3.While we are in the attic consider flooring it with plywood. It is cheap if done while building. Also be sure to be there when the a/c guys try to run their ducts. With very little effort they can do it and keep it organized and out of the way. If you aren't there it will look like spaghetti.
4. Consider an in the wall vacuum system. They are great. More power and you aren't dragging that vacuum around.
5. Most builders will use flat paint on the exterior. Insist on semigloss. It is not that shiny and it can actually be cleaned. Flat paint does not shed dirt.
6. This is pricey ,but if you plan to make this your forever home, consider a standing seam metal roof. One roof forever, but make sure it is a standing seam. Can be pricey.
7. At the planning stage things can actually be pretty cheap. Given our recent floors, to raise a slab one foot does not cost that much.

This is off the top of my head. If I think of more I will add them later. Good luck
OnlyANobody
1. Make sure that the garage/parking area gives you close or direct access to the kitchen. This sounds logical but our first and very beautiful home had the garage at the front and the kitchen at the back of the house.

2. Make sure your laundry room is of adequate size to be useful. Being able to pull things out and hang or fold right then makes a big difference. On the subject of laundry rooms:

3. Having the dryer vent to an exterior wall is way more convenient when it comes to cleaning the vent than having it on an interior wall.

4. Directional facing. If you want a large area of windows in your living area, make sure they aren't facing west. You'll broil and/or end up with solar screens. (which I find unattractive, but necessary in those situations.)

5. Put in the sprinkler system and pay for grass in the back yard - optional with some builders.

6. Get your flooring done the way you want it. It's expensive to replace later. On that note, if you are a carpet person, pay for the highest grade of pad. Even the most inexpensive carpet will survive better on a good pad.

7. Get the right A/C unit. Often more capable units are "upgrades".
jskin261
More than one return air per HVAC unit.
Steel fence posts.
Sprinkler system needs schedule 40 PVC.
Prewire anything you might want to add at a later date.
Take pictures of your interior/exterior walls before they are insulated and sheetrocked.
Everything that has already been stated about the laundry room.

The Original AG 76
AG
-Whatever you think is enough electric outlets outside and in your garage.....DOUBLE IT
- have a separate HVAC system for your master suite
- prewire and run nat gas line for a large standby generator
- if you are an outside type at all and plan on a pool or outdoor kitchen strongly consider another " outside " bathroom and shower.
- built as much garage as your lot can hold
- power outlets on corner eaves
- really really really...... look at a mini-split hvac for your master....really
Aquin
AG
Had a couple of additional comments.
1. Specify that the 2X4 that touches the slab be treated lumber. It is the wood that is most likely to come in contact with moisture.
2. A lot of builders use Hardee board on the exteriors. That is good because it does not rot. However, the facia looks thin and cheap to me. I used a full cut 2X6 made of cedar for the facia board. It gives you some mass and looks substantial. Plus being cedar and in the air it will not rot.
Bill Robbins
AG
"Take pictures of your interior/exterior walls before they are insulated and sheetrocked. "
This was very useful for when we converted a bay window into french doors.

"- power outlets on corner eaves"
We had this on a timer switch in a front bedroom closet. I messed up by only putting it on one corner.
CEAg78
AG
Previous threads: https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2839899/1
and
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2819806/1
snaglepuss
The Original AG 76 said:

- really really really...... look at a mini-split hvac for your master....really
This.
befitter
Engineer your slab.
rsa
AG
All of the above suggestions are solid. I'd add:

• 24" minimum eave overhang to cut down on direct sunlight heat load
  • If your lot is large enough and it works, align your home to minimize direct sunlight heating up home.
  • Foam insulation
  • Work with a builder/planner who can help you maximize your new home's HERS index to save on energy $$$ (there're are a couple of builders around here who can guide you).
slyk
What rsa said about foam insulation. Get the attic foam insulated, where they spray the foam insulation to the underside of roof. Your attic will stay within about 10 degrees of what your house is inside. Even on a hot summer day of full sun. Worth every penny. Works so good there is no need to put down the standard blown in insulation. So there is actually nothing between all the ceiling joists. All you would see is the joists, top side of ceiling and elect wiring, lighting and such. Even beats the heck out of the required standard radiant barrier on the roof decking. Your AC and elect bill will thank you.
ro828
Four regrets.
1. Family members persuaded us that we should get carpet instead of laminate or something like it. We both have allergies and despise carpet. After a few years of grandchildren, dogs, and cats the carpet looked really crappy. Replacing it with laminate was very expensive.
2. We put up wooden fencing instead of chain link. Why didn't God intervene and stop us?
3. We should have upgraded on the appliances, and the home builder should have urged us to do so.
4. I think the exterior was painted with water colors. Yep, that's how well that paint held up. I saw an ad for a home improvement store warning that the paint home builders use usually costs $6 a gallon. True.
originaltexan
KEEP COMING BACK .. I WILL KEEP UPDATING as I think of more stuff

Run conduit everywhere so you can run wires for stuff very easily to a closet in your house (audio speaker wire, media , internet , security etc)

Try to use concrete fiber board inside of particle board

Run 4" pvc pipe under driveway multiple areas...some for drainage, some for exterior lighting , security cameras etc. Run it everywhere.

Watch every single invoice associated with your build.

Have all toilets away from kitchen area for sound elimination.

Avoid trendy things that are too unique, such as ship lap or wood slats instead of sheetrock.

Go out to the job site at least 4 times a week to catch mistakes (such as putting a window next to a AC pad). Also visit to close windows when it rains, get building material out of rain.

Get a real concrete pad poured for your AC so you don't have to worry about water and flooding.

Install lighting in attic

Front door and back door should not be affected by afternoon sun or a heavy rain..Have some good coverage , such as a patio or covered area that protects doors from getting hammered by rain or sun.

Have the AC unit in attic in such a place that it can easily be serviced.

Make sure you can easily drive your car into garage

DO NOT LET LANDSCAPE TIMBERS BE USED ON YOUR FENCE

DO NOT HAVE WATER HEATER IN ATTIC...

DO NOT LET YOUR BATHTUBS BE USED AS TRASH CONTAINERS DURING CONSTRUCTION..YOU WILL HAVE DAMAGE THAT CANNOT BE REPAIRED.

(Removed:11023A)
AG
Building with Kenny Melesky is my only regret
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Who in the area can/will foam the interior of the attic roof? Any ideas of approximate cost? DIY possibilities?
b0ridi
"window next to a AC pad"

Why is this bad?
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Noise
rsa
AG
MosesHallRAB83 said:

Who in the area can/will foam the interior of the attic roof? Any ideas of approximate cost? DIY possibilities?
F3 Foam, 936-661-3172, comes well recommended from one of my builder contacts.

eta -- Also, Quality Insulation & Roofing, 936-539-9739
Firefighter7
Wow...lots to think about! Please keep the suggestions coming.
TXCityGirl
Laundry room should be close to your closets/bedrooms. There is no need for laundry to travel up and down stairs, across the house to be washed and put away. Have ample space to hang dry delicates and to store your laundry baskets.

Ceiling fan in master bathroom and kitchen or dining area! It's always hot in the kitchen and in the bathroom.

Built-ins for shoes in master closet and other closets if you have kids. If you make your closets large enough, you can put a dresser inside of it. Creates much more space inside the bedrooms.

A/C thermostat in a logical location.

Lots of power outlets on vanity areas in bathrooms - minimum of 4 plugs. Invest in a good dishwasher!
GunRangeGal
AG
Floor outlets in the living room... seems like a little thing, but people always regretted not adding these when I worked for a builder.
AG
This is what happens when folks hire a builder that fancies himself as an architect. You get what we have here!

If you are going to be building a CUSTOM HOME, please, do yourself a favor and spend the money to hire an architect, you will most likely avoid all of the "problems" listed above!!

Stucco
Many of the suggestions above are great. I would add:

Run double wires to each sprinkler zone so it is easy to split if ever necessary.

Grade the dirt for drainage. We seem to have a lot of 100 year floods these days.

Invest in your foundation. Engineer it - soil samples with customized additives to get the dirt right for a house. You could even consider piers to start. It is a ~5k expense for the entire footprint up front. Later you will pay 8-15k for a dozen piers covering just portion of the footprint that is shifting, or much more for the whole house.

Plan a place inside for a large safe, or consider a floor safe.

Drawer outlets in the bathrooms.

Lights in the closets.

Run Cat6 during framing. More than you think you need.

Put in two extra closets.
Builder93
AG
I regret having been in the homebuilding business.
CN
I should've prewired ethernet for security cameras at the front, back, and corner of the house.

I should've put the AC unit on the side of the house where it's shaded late afternoon. I also should've gone with Trane.

I should've put leaf guards over the gutters.

I should've put in recessed lighting in all of the bedrooms instead of relying on those horrible candelabra lights from ceiling fans.

I should've made my home office bigger.

I should've gone with all stone for the outdoor kitchen with metal drawers. I've got a cedar cabinets and they'll need restaining soon.

I should've had multiple cable outlets installed in back porch.

I should've put in cubbies in entryway.

I should've put a built in desk near kitchen where the family computer can go.

I should've put in stairs to the attic instead of the standard garage ladder. I'm going to kill myself one of these days putting up the Christmas tree.

I should've gone with metal double doors for front entrance. My front door is really big and wooden with lots of glass and is hard to shut.

I shouldn't have put in built in blinds on my back doors.

I shouldn't have upgraded the little carpet we have with, at the time, a two year old in the house.

I should've gone with one big counter height island with seating for four instead of the L shaped island and separate middle island.

I should've put in stained beadboard ceiling in back porch.
Scruffy
AG
andyv94 said:

This is what happens when folks hire a builder that fancies himself as an architect. You get what we have here!

If you are going to be building a CUSTOM HOME, please, do yourself a favor and spend the money to hire an architect, you will most likely avoid all of the "problems" listed above!!

I'll just add don't just accept anything the architect says.
Sometimes the arch has ideas that sound good, but in the end cause more headaches.
Think about things like how to replace (insert something here), how final access will be, etc.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
CN said:

I should've put the AC unit on the side of the house where it's shaded late afternoon.

Not trying to call you out in particular but it's a common misconception.

AC systems suck hot air out from inside your house. They don't take hot air from outside and make it cold to put in your house.

Always makes me giggle when I drive though poor neighbhoods and they have lean-tos built over their outdoor units.
AG
Scruffy said:

andyv94 said:

I'll just add don't just accept anything the architect says.
Sometimes the arch has ideas that sound good, but in the end cause more headaches.
Think about things like how to replace (insert something here), how final access will be, etc.

Then you are either using the wrong architect or builder
CN
hennyj15 said:

CN said:

I should've put the AC unit on the side of the house where it's shaded late afternoon.

Not trying to call you out in particular but it's a common misconception.

AC systems suck hot air out from inside your house. They don't take hot air from outside and make it cold to put in your house.

Always makes me giggle when I drive though poor neighbhoods and they have lean-tos built over their outdoor units.
Maybe you can help with another thing I wish I would've done differently that may be a misconception. Is it better to have a single large unit or two smaller units assuming total tonnage is the same? I have a single large unit and think I should've gotten two smaller ones to split the load of cooling down the 3 zones in my house.
techno-ag
AG
Quote:

I should've put in stairs to the attic instead of the standard garage ladder. I'm going to kill myself one of these days putting up the Christmas tree.
On some of these you've just got to make the best call you can according to your budget. When we found out how much extra a staircase to the attic was going to cost, we opted for using that money elsewhere in the house.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.