Carter Lake vs. Forest Lake

5,352 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JP76
CRE-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are wanting to buy a home on the water in either Carter or Forest Lake this spring. Interested in hearing feedback on both of these areas. Interested in how the bass fishing is on both, and if anyone who lives on the water is on this board. I like the Forest Lake neighborhood better, but like the Carter Lake location and lake better.
BaitShack
AG
I lived on Carter Lake for a year or so. I'm not sure about bass, but it has some great crappy fishing if you can find a brush pile. It's a nice quiet area.
welborn
Carter lake has awesome fishing and we are out all the time year round. There is one like front lot left to build on but it is on an inlet, not the large lake front.

A few items of concern, the lake use is restricted to residence and guests only & you have to be present. Boating is restricted to 5mph or less regardless of motor size. I use kayaks and a small boat with a trolling motor as do most other residents.

The lake is not creek fed so it goes down in a drought. Right now it's full so when you see it currently just know that 3 weeks ago, it didn't look that great.

The HOA has some rules and the dues are $200 a year. I could expand on the rules but would rather not go in to all that here.

Lastly, our roads absolutely suck. Afghanistan has better road ways.

Contact me if you'd like more info or just reply here.
toocool
Have good friends who live further down HWeedon Rd. Things they mention while visiting:
Ranchers drive too slow, although that's probably safer.
Can't easily turn left at Hwy 30 & HWeedon
Will not be able to turn at all after Style Craft subdivision fronts Hardy Weedon.
CRE-Ag
AG
[That is not the way to reply on this forum. If you post in that manner again on here you will get banned. -Staff]
CRE-Ag
AG
welborn said:

Carter lake has awesome fishing and we are out all the time year round. There is one like front lot left to build on but it is on an inlet, not the large lake front.

A few items of concern, the lake use is restricted to residence and guests only & you have to be present. Boating is restricted to 5mph or less regardless of motor size. I use kayaks and a small boat with a trolling motor as do most other residents.

The lake is not creek fed so it goes down in a drought. Right now it's full so when you see it currently just know that 3 weeks ago, it didn't look that great.

The HOA has some rules and the dues are $200 a year. I could expand on the rules but would rather not go in to all that here.

Lastly, our roads absolutely suck. Afghanistan has better road ways.

Contact me if you'd like more info or just reply here.

Welborn, thanks for the reply. I'd love to pick your brain at some point. The roads were the biggest detractor when I drove around the neighborhood. Many of the houses aren't set back very far off the road, making it feel a little crowded in places. All that said, it seems like it would be an increadible place, if we found the right lot/house.
JP76
Not sure it matters but Carter is CSISD and I believe higher CS utilities. Forest is college station but BISD and cheaper Bryan utilities.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

it has some great crappy fishing
Now this seems kind of contradictory.
aggiegal99
I lived in Forest Lakes for 10 years and loved every minute of it. I can't tell you much about the fishing, but I really liked the peacefulness out there.

I never had a problem turning left on Hwy 30, and did it every day.

Houses on the lake rarely come up for sale, however.
ChampsAg
Not sure much available around Forest Lakes.

Not thrilled about the Stylecraft subdivision going in. No outlet to 30...will be on Hardy Weedon.

Haven't tried to fish on the lake. HOA requires a sticker to park there. Lake is nice though I haven't been on it. Trolling motor only.
AggieAces06
AG
We will be building on Carter Lake as soon as we sell our current house. From what we have seen, there is lots of fishing and boat/kayak activity going on.
crbongos
AG
When Stylecraft builds subdivision at Hardy Weedon and 30 a traffic light will be added at that intersection.
ChampsAg
They won't have a choice. Already bad enough when people are leaving Powersports and you are trying to turn.
JP76
https://collegestation.craigslist.org/reo/d/great-family-home-pool-hot/6308116519.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.