Texas Reds Festival this Weekend

6,733 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stucco
GSS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We enjoyed the band "Broken Spokes" on Fri evening, and anticipated the same when Rick Trevino came on. But when he started, a group of what appeared to be college-age students moved enmass to in front of the stage, blocking both any dancing, and a view for many. Surprisingly rude behavior on their part. Trevino sounded great, too bad the mob had their way.
O.G.
FlyRod said:

Spoiler alert: skip the wine and head to the beer tent.
^^^^^^^Pro Tip.
girlmom3
We had a great time yesterday at the festival! Lots of great vendors, people, and fun. However, it was HOT and the layout of the wine tent made it super crowded. It would be nice if the wine tent was laid out like the beer tent, with the tables back to back so that patrons walked along the outside of the tent instead of the inside. It seems like it would flow better and make it a little cooler. I would also suggest some sort of combination package that you could try both beer and wine. My friend and I shared our glasses as 1 of us got the wine package and 1 of us got the beer package. But, would've been nice for us to sample together without having to wait on one another to finish.
Frio Cielo
Tailgate88 said:

I don't see why we need to set the 2019, or 2030 date now. Next year's schedule is already available. A year in advance should be plenty. Also, the A&M Arky series will not be out of town forever. The current deal expires in 2024 and rumor has it the administration is looking at possibly altering it. They would much rather have an additional home game in the new Kyle Field.

I agree we should never compete with a home game. Anyone who's been to Kolachefest on years we had a home game and years we did not can tell you there's a difference in attendance. But I think one year in advance is plenty of time to notify everyone with next year's date will be.

Why don't they just make it the weekend of the first Saturday away game in October every year? I would doubt that we would have four or five home games in October?

The last few years would have been the first, third, first, first, first, and first weekend. The once is a while late weekend might be a good change of pace in the weather?
techno-ag
AG
girlmom3 said:

We had a great time yesterday at the festival! Lots of great vendors, people, and fun. However, it was HOT and the layout of the wine tent made it super crowded. It would be nice if the wine tent was laid out like the beer tent, with the tables back to back so that patrons walked along the outside of the tent instead of the inside. It seems like it would flow better and make it a little cooler. I would also suggest some sort of combination package that you could try both beer and wine. My friend and I shared our glasses as 1 of us got the wine package and 1 of us got the beer package. But, would've been nice for us to sample together without having to wait on one another to finish.
Whiskey & beer, never fear. Beer & wine, not so fine.
halibut sinclair
Nice crowd so far this afternoon. Lots of people in the beer and wine tents and having brunch. Should pick up even more soon with Jack Ingram and Deana Carter.
FlyRod
BrazosWifi
We didn't make it out yesterday but today has been nice.

Mrs. Brazos WiFi is enjoying Deann Carter. I am impressed with the nice food and drink vendors.

Very good event!
NeverBunt
Wicked Good Ag
I will say we had a good time on Saturday. That said it is too hot still so a move to October is probably a way to go. With 10K people any three weekends in the mid October range would work and you can be flexible on the schedule

As for another rec, please space out the wine tent and craft brew tent to allow more room. You had plenty of streets not being used but the wine area was a zoo. It could have easily been split into two areas with mingle area under tents in between.

My wife had wine and I had beer this time for tasting and I gave up following her around in the wine area and we just met somewhere after we got our beverages. Many streets were available so logistically it could work. Also the wine bottle purchases could be in one of the buildings that is unoccupied for pick up instead of outside, since you used a room for the purpose of storage try to include one for beverage pickup instead of near an already crowded area.

Will go again next year probably although the wife now wants a wine/chocolate festival to attend
BlueMiles
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Will go again next year probably although the wife now wants a wine/chocolate festival to attend

I heard about one of these last year, and it looks like it will be held again this year.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/all-things-chocolate-and-wine-tickets-37915222451
Bill Robbins
AG
BlueMiles said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

I heard about one of these last year, and it looks like it will be held again this year.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/all-things-chocolate-and-wine-tickets-37915222451

Those friendly people selling tickets this weekend are also the hosts for the All Things Chocolate and Wine on November 14th. All proceeds that the College Station Noon Lions earn from volunteering at Texas Reds or ATC&W go to worthwhile endeavors such as Huricane Harvey relief, the Fun for All Playground, or Kids Sight eyescreening.
drivinwest
AG
I went on Saturday for the first time with a big group of folks. It was a good time! We are all beer drinkers so just skipped the wine tent and went straight to the beer. I was impressed with their selection. They had a dozen or so breweries there and a few had specialty beers.

There was a nice crowd--we got there after the game and the crowd really picked up from 3-5.

Few suggestions: it's been beaten to death on this thread, but it was hot. I understand the need to have this event around the same time every year, but would suggest moving it to October or even early November. It wasn't hot enough to keep us from going (we're hearty Texans after all!), but we would have definitely stayed longer ($$$) had it been cooler out. After a few hours our group, which included kids and grandparents, were pretty beaten down and ready to go.

Also, the iPads seemed glitchy at several of the ticket booths. Not a huge deal as we were able to go to other windows, but it sounds like that's been an issue in past years as well.

Overall, though, we had a great time! Congratulations to the staff for putting on a fun, well-organized event. We will definitely be returning next year.
Bill Robbins
AG
All Things Chocolate and Wine

Hosted by College Station Noon Lions Club to support local Lion charities and community service projects.
nought
AG
Some additional thoughts on this for the organizers:

1) Have more adult beverage options spread around than just the beer and wine tents. Yes, I know Karbach had their own tent, and it appeared some places were selling wine slushies. The problem is that you want people to wander around and check out all the various crafts, businesses in downtown Bryan, etc., but when it is a 10 or 15 minute walk back to the beer/wine tents every time you need a refill, it is a real pain.

2) Encourage beer/wine vendors to make it very clear what they have on offer. Some of them are good about this with signs up on their table listing what they have, its attributes, etc. But, some of them didn't do this, and for that reason I believe mostly got passed by.

3) Do something about having the children's play area right next to one of the big stages. Or, do something about the sound level of that stage. When even the kids are putting their hands over their ears because the music hurts, it is too loud. We would have done more train rides and bounce house time if some band hadn't started absolutely blasting out the decibels.

4) If you don't change it a few weeks later to a cooler time, set up more of the big cooling fans. You had one about 50 feet from the bounce houses. It didn't do any good for the bounce houses, but at least kids (and their weary parents) could walk over to it and cool down every once in a while. If you are going to keep the festival on its current weekend, you need many more of these set up at various points around the festival.

5) Make your pricing more transparent. I was surprised to find several "special" beers required 10 tickets instead of 5 like I thought I saw online. Maybe I didn't read carefully enough. $10 beers are special indeed -- perhaps encourage vendors not to go that route even for their "special" brews.

6) Give a plastic glass option. Yes, the real glasses are nice. They break real nice too, and we encountered multiple places with shards of broken glass as a result, including in the middle of the bounce house area. At least let people choose, and perhaps even give a price break for the plastic to encourage safety. Trying to walk around with a wine glass in one hand and a wiggling 2-and-a-half year old in the other is a recipe for disaster.
Stucco
I went and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The plus column
  • The wine and beer tents were next to each other, making it possible for a house divided to enjoy their beverage of choice without too much travel time back and forth.
  • The beer tent layout was perfect.
  • I bought online and went straight to the tent, no ticket booth or special will call tent to deal with.
  • Parking in the garage was easy and free.
  • The portable AC units were awesome.

Things that would have knocked it out of the park:
  • Why require glassware? Sell the wristbands instead for a base price of $5 ($15 = wristband + 10 tickets). Stock the vendors with little 2-3oz plastic sampler cups and with larger plastic cups for full size drinks. No rinsing or broken glass, less initial sunk cost, cheaper to attend, and patrons can try both wine and beer. It is also difficult to carry glass while wrangling a child.
  • Compress it a bit more. There was a lot of completely unused space. It is a long way to walk to go back and get a beer with kids at the bounce houses.
  • To beat the heat, put another big tent in-between the wine and beer tents with only bar tables and ACs under it. Lower some of the sides to keep the cooler air in.
  • Make a game of the event like checking off or rating everything you tried. e.g. - Get stamps on a bingo card for trying different beers or wines. Maybe include the fair food, or sponsoring vendors and stores.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.