Texas Reds Festival this Weekend

6,732 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stucco
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey everybody - don't forget the Texas Reds Festival in downtown Bryan is this weekend.

Note: I don't work for Texas Reds or DBA, so I'm not going to buy an ad. I just like the event.

http://texasredsfestival.com/
halibut sinclair
Ornlu
AG
Where's the best place to park?
halibut sinclair
Ornlu said:

Downtown parking garage or park and ride from Blinn. We've also parked over around First Methodist church.
FlyRod
Spoiler alert: skip the wine and head to the beer tent.
halibut sinclair
FlyRod said:

Spoiler alert: skip the wine and head to the beer tent.

Great minds, etc.
Jinx
Went last year and enjoyed it. Got invited again this year, but I was wondering if a 3yr old would get overrun by older kids in the kids zone? Anyone have input on that?
techno-ag
AG
This is a signature event for Downtown Bryan. Just keeps getting better every year.
DBA
Jinx - there is no age restriction for the Kids Zone, but it's recommended that kiddos younger than 5 be closely supervised by a parent while in the area. There are a few of the bounce houses that are suitable for younger children, as well as a craft area and Paw-Paw's Party Train. The wristband is good for both days of the festival.
Bill Robbins
AG
Buy your Saturday Evening Steak Dinner tickets now before they sell out!
one MEEN Ag
AG
I enjoy the festival I just wish it was a month later so I can enjoy the weather while drinking wine.
ShawnTxAg
AG
Love participating in this event every year. I'll cook and consume so much red meat Saturday, it'll be chicken and fish for the next month!!
Eliminatus
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

I enjoy the festival I just wish it was a month later so I can enjoy the weather while drinking wine.
No joke. Reds is awesome but the timing is as bad as weddings in football season.
australopithecus robustus
Yeah it's also ring weekend.

An away game in October would be much more appropriate.
halibut sinclair
Texas Reds started out in June. September's not so bad.
DBA
A little history and explanation on the date...
Up until 2014, the City of Bryan handled the festival and the date was somewhat fluid. Without conducting a search to verify, I recall Texas Reds being held in June, July, September and maybe October? When the Downtown Bryan Association assumed management in 2014, we looked at possibly changing the date to a month with more comfortable temperatures, but with Texas weather being what it is, who knows what that date would be?? We found that established, successful festivals were consistently held at the same time every year. With the very busy calendar of events in the Brazos Valley, we decided one of the things the festival needed was a consistent date each year, and since it was held in September the previous two years, we decided to stick with it.

It's risky to have the event in September with the possibility of late-season hurricanes and unexpected cool fronts that trigger thunderstorms, but for now, we are sticking with the last weekend of September. The A&M-Arkansas game being played away from home is definitely a factor. We don't want to compete with a home game on festival weekend.

There are other considerations to factor in, but the ultimate goal is to present a family-friendly, fun event that showcases our downtown. There will be plenty of shaded areas and the downtown stores and restaurants will welcome you to step in and cool off. We hope to see you this weekend!

Sandy Farris
Executive Director, Downtown Bryan Association

Tailgate88
AG
September is better than June but an away game in Oct would be even better.
Ornlu
AG
Tailgate88 said:

September is better than June but an away game in Oct would be even better.

Can to say for sure which weekend in October will be an away game in 2019, or 2021, or 2030? It has to always be an away game on that same weekend. Only way to gaurentee that is the Arkansas game, which is always at Jerry World.
Tailgate88
AG
I don't see why we need to set the 2019, or 2030 date now. Next year's schedule is already available. A year in advance should be plenty. Also, the A&M Arky series will not be out of town forever. The current deal expires in 2024 and rumor has it the administration is looking at possibly altering it. They would much rather have an additional home game in the new Kyle Field.

I agree we should never compete with a home game. Anyone who's been to Kolachefest on years we had a home game and years we did not can tell you there's a difference in attendance. But I think one year in advance is plenty of time to notify everyone with next year's date will be.
aggmaroon
AG
Next year September 22 is Alabama instead of Arkansas, but it is still an away game. The Arkansas game is on September 29th, so the game won't necessarily always be on the same weekend. It may be safe to assume it will be in September though. However, that's up to the SEC.
techno-ag
AG
It doesn't matter what date they choose, somebody is going to gripe about it. A consistent away game is best. Also remember other festivals in the state have their dates established already. Providing consistent dates year after year helps everyone involved.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Definitely agree consistency is helpful for attendees and vendors. What is the anticipated attendance number?
DBA
Attendance averages 10,000+. We are expecting to exceed that number this year.
carpe vinum
AG
Seems like FestiFall was early November, usually cool and I don't recall more than 1-2 rain days over the years.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
isitjustme
AG
carpe vinum said:

Seems like FestiFall was early November, usually cool and I don't recall more than 1-2 rain days over the years.
Wife and I loved FestiFall. We went many times. Unfortunately, it didn't get enough attendance to stick around. Let's not let that happen to Texas Reds.
Carny89
Is the railroad not involved this year? Didn't see anything. They gave train rides last year.
one MEEN Ag
AG
DBA said:

A little history and explanation on the date...
Up until 2014, the City of Bryan handled the festival and the date was somewhat fluid. Without conducting a search to verify, I recall Texas Reds being held in June, July, September and maybe October? When the Downtown Bryan Association assumed management in 2014, we looked at possibly changing the date to a month with more comfortable temperatures, but with Texas weather being what it is, who knows what that date would be?? We found that established, successful festivals were consistently held at the same time every year. With the very busy calendar of events in the Brazos Valley, we decided one of the things the festival needed was a consistent date each year, and since it was held in September the previous two years, we decided to stick with it.

It's risky to have the event in September with the possibility of late-season hurricanes and unexpected cool fronts that trigger thunderstorms, but for now, we are sticking with the last weekend of September. The A&M-Arkansas game being played away from home is definitely a factor. We don't want to compete with a home game on festival weekend.

There are other considerations to factor in, but the ultimate goal is to present a family-friendly, fun event that showcases our downtown. There will be plenty of shaded areas and the downtown stores and restaurants will welcome you to step in and cool off. We hope to see you this weekend!

Sandy Farris
Executive Director, Downtown Bryan Association

I appreciate your input into the thought process. My wife and I lead up Dining in the Dark at the Hilton every year, so I can empathize with your concerns even though its 300 vs 10,000 people. I would still say that for long term growth of the event, look into October and make a one time change. Its just going to make for a better event with higher turnout. Even if some years its a home game, people are still going to go. I don't believe the demographics of a wine festival perfectly double dip against the football crowd.

I've gone to Texas Reds a few times and every time its just more enjoyable to drink the cold beer. It honestly does a disservice to the original wine vendors because its so easy to prefer beer on a hot day.
DBA
Carny89- Union Pacific had planned to return with free train rides this year, but damage from Hurricane Harvey forced them to cancel those plans.
Carny89
Gotcha. That's kinda what I thought.
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

I recommend Simms Avenue, preferably north of WJB. It will help the local economy - especially if you have nice rims.
"What's this button do?"
Max06
AG
The problem with a home-game weekend is hotel availability. I have extended family that come in every year specifically for this festival, and they choose to stay in local B&B's. If it were a game weekend, they'd never find the accommodations they want/need at an affordable price.

I'm sure I cannot be the only one who has family come in for this event.
techno-ag
AG
Park and Ride at Blinn, avoid the crowds.
halibut sinclair
MightyDuck
This made me remember the feedback thread from last year (actually the year before) and thought I would leave it here in case anyone else is interested.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2665717

I wish they had updated the pricing so I could try both beer and wine, but I will still go and enjoy. Hopefully the iPads work!
Bill Robbins
AG
MightyDuck said:

Hopefully the iPads work!
I'm selling tickets tomorrow. Please, please work!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.