Recommend a mechanic in B/CS?

2,408 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieBarstool
afs3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Son is a freshman, check engine light is coming on. 2005 Ford F-150. Thanks Ags!
halibut sinclair
Superior Auto Service on S. College:

http://happycars.com/

Long time local business. Close to campus.
nought
AG
Check engine light doesn't really indicate an "engine" problem. It is really an "emissions" light. They don't call it an "emissions" light, because most people would say "oh, emissions? that's all? not going to worry about that right now."

And, that's exactly what you should do -- probably not worry about it too much right now. The most common cause for the light coming on is filling up the gas tank while the car is still on. Second is not quite tightening the gas cap all the way. The solution to both of these is a number of turn-on, drive, turn-off sequences. After the gas cap has been secured and the car has been started, driven, and turned off several times, the light will commonly go off.

Now it could be an oxygen sensor or something like that too. Anyway, my advice would be to drive the car for a few days, see if the light goes off, and only then seek service if it doesn't.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Autozone will read the code for free. Depending on what the code means would determine if you really need to see a mechanic or not. Also, head to the Auto board. Lots of good, and professional, free advaice.
aggiepaintrain
AG
A CEL can mean many things, but if the truck is running fine and shifting good it's probably nothing to worry about.

If you want to make sure then go to Autozone and use google for the error code(s).

A person can dump a ton of money in to getting that little light off, and the truck will probably run the same.

techno-ag
AG
University Tire for a good general mechanic.
afs3
Autozone came back as 'Intake Camshaft Position Timing'....yikes!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Try replacing the oil and filter first. Be sure the correct oil is used. Sometimes if oil is too thick the little passages can get clogged and cause this.

But seriously, go post this code, make/model/mileage on the auto board and they can get you started down the right path.
Kitten With A Whip
Advance Auto Care on Harvey Road does a free diagnostic, as well. The auto shop next door read mine and it turned out the coil pack (above spark plugs) had to be replaced. BUT if that shop tries to charge you for their own diagnostic, know that they do not deduct it if you have the work there.

I would recommend The Bug Clinic, on Cavitt for having the work done, if it's needed. If they have to run a diagnostic and you have the work done there, they do not charge for the diagnostic. In any case, their prices are reasonable and they do great work!
afs3
I did. Thank you!
mwm
See Pat, Mark or Frankie at Sevcik's on Longmire. Frankie took me in at 6:15 this am.
medic1969p
I highly recommend Scott Stovall (recommended by Sevcik's when the couldn't get to min right away.) He works from his home on Southwood. He can put the machine on it and tell what's wrong and double check to make sure. 979-204-9443. He's worked on several vehicles we've had. Very reasonable.
Hewey Calloway
AG
Sevciks has gone way downhill. The past few times I've been there the service has been terrible. They've lost my business.
BrandoC
AG
C and L Autocare in Bryan.
eloc62
Brazos Valley Automotive. I have known Gordon and Bobby{Robert} for over 30 years. They will do you right and fix the problem at a reasonable cost.
LOYAL AG
AG
Lots of good names here. I'm more interested in the cause. I drove a 1998 F150 for about 145,000 miles with that light on. Now I'm driving a 2008 Jeep Wrangler that's had it on for 124,000 give our take. If you live in an emissions county that can be a problem but Brazos is not so I don't worry about it.
The Original AG 76
AG
Another BLUE STAR for Sevciks. Great service, good prices.
AggieBarstool
Hewey Calloway said:

Sevciks has gone way downhill. The past few times I've been there the service has been terrible. They've lost my business.
And I've been there recently -- fantastic service. They lived up to the hype.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.