Question about rabbit ears in CS

2,667 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by patrick.redmill
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are considering adding a TV to our tailgate that uses digital rabbit ears. Does anyone know, with actual experience, what stations you can get in College Station?

I've read different things and can't get a good comfort level about what stations actually come in.

If I could get FOX, NBC, CBS and ABC, that would be enough football games.

Thanks
halibut sinclair
I don't think you would have any problem picking up all the local stations at Kyle Field. You might want to consider upgrading to a better antenna than just a set of rabbit ears. There are some good ones out there for $50 or so. Maybe look into an amplified antenna, also.
redd38
AG
I only get Fox and CBS, but my antenna was like $20 and it's just sitting on the floor. Might be able to get more with better positioning and better antenna, but I didn't need NBC or ABC because I could watch games on those networks online.
KK
Just bought the following:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ClearStream-2MAX-UHF-VHF-Indoor-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna/444526031

Put it on the bar where the satellite was.

Live out by Towerpoint HEB.

Get ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX, PBS, and all the one offs for them.
patrick.redmill
You won't get ABC with "rabbit ears." I live about a mile from the stadium, and I had to get a HUGE antenna with a preamp to pick up ABC. They have a seriously weak transmitter, and I speculate they are now transmitting out of Waco, not OSR & 6.

Everything else should be okay, although NBC can be finicky. CBS/CW and Fox are super strong signals. If the goal is to get ABC football games, and you don't want a big boy antenna ... almost all ABC games are simulcast on ESPN 3. Can you manage an internet connection and a Roku to get those? That would be my solution.
GSS
Might be just an aiming/rotation issue for receiving ABC/CH 40...we are a couple of miles west of Snook, and can receive all of the networks on a couple of really basic element antennas (one on the house, one on a 8 ft T-post at my shop).

Or possibly the surrounding building in the vicinity of Kyle might interfere with the signal.
halibut sinclair
ABC 40 still broadcasts from north of Bryan, but the signal is extremely weak. Our reception in E. Bryan is spotty.
Science Denier
AG
Thanks for the help, guys!! I do appreciate it.

When I say rabbit ears, I probably don't mean rabbit ears. I mean, non-satellite. If we do this, we will get a very good antenna.
drivinwest
AG
As others have posted, ABC is going to be the biggest challenge. I live near downtown Bryan, and can get NBC, CBS, Fox, and 7-8 other channels (MeTV, etc.). ABC comes through most of the time, but it can be jumpy.

Here's my antenna.

This website will give you an idea what you can pick up.

Counterpoint
AG
What's the best way to get CW?
halibut sinclair
Count Counterpoint said:

What's the best way to get CW?
Over the air, the CW (3.2) is a sub-channel of KBTX (3.1)
Science Denier
AG
KK said:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ClearStream-2MAX-UHF-VHF-Indoor-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna/444526031

Bringing this back to the top from last year.

That one seems pretty big for a tailgate.

Anyone else have any suggestions on an HD Antenna (not rabbit ears, lol). Does ABC come in any better these days? We may be OK with FOX and their Big 12 game (Big 12 games get quite a bit of interest), but ABC usually has a pretty big game at 11:00.
LOL OLD
patrick.redmill
jblaschke said:

KK said:

Bringing this back to the top from last year.

That one seems pretty big for a tailgate.

Anyone else have any suggestions on an HD Antenna (not rabbit ears, lol). Does ABC come in any better these days? We may be OK with FOX and their Big 12 game (Big 12 games get quite a bit of interest), but ABC usually has a pretty big game at 11:00.
I have to admit, ABC has been a lot more steady for me over the past year. It's still the hardest channel to pick up (because all my friends complain about it), but I almost never lose it now.

I'm curious of that poster's long-term luck with the linked antenna. I'm a little skeptical that he got a reliable ABC signal with that. An omnidirectional antenna just isn't appropriate for this area. Ideally, you want a directional, deep fringe antenna, preferably from Winegard or ChannelMaster. Unfortunately, these tend to be huge. Probably not appropriate for a tailgate.

I did install this at my parents' lake home in NW AL. Only about 40 miles, as the crow flies, to the Birmingham transmitters. However the terrain is a lot more rugged than here. It's pretty compact and the result was pretty good. Still skeptical, and you're definitely going to need a preamp, but worth a try.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.