LOL @ College Station Waste Management (or whatever it's called)

3,885 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tuesday was recycle and trash pickup in my neighborhood. I got home and saw some stickers on the tops of my trash can as well as others. I opened the trash and it was still full. I read the sticker and it said something to the effect of my trash had to be at least 5 feet away from the recycle can. I guess it takes less effort to get out of the truck and put on that sticker (and not take my trash) than to get out and put on the sticker and remove the trash.

/I did not talk to the manager protected/
nought
AG
It is easier for them to make sure they only half-empty your can and leave it knocked over laying on its side with the lid half open if you get it a bit farther away from the recycling container.

College Station trash bin: 50% of the time it ends up knocked over, only half-emptied, etc.

Recycling trash bin: consistently emptied, sat right back in place upright, lid closed, etc.
02skiag
AG
If they don't leave a note then you'll keep putting your bins way too close together.
FlyRod
Chase after them, yelling and calling them "Trash eating stinkbags!" Worked for Homer Simpson. Oh wait...
theycallmemrtibbs
nought said:

It is easier for them to make sure they only half-empty your can and leave it knocked over laying on its side with the lid half open if you get it a bit farther away from the recycling container.

College Station trash bin: 50% of the time it ends up knocked over, only half-emptied, etc.

Recycling trash bin: consistently emptied, sat right back in place upright, lid closed, etc.

In my neighborhood it's the other way around. The trash bins are usually upright and the recycling bins are 80% on the ground.
taxpreparer
AG
I must be lucky; I never have a problem with either bin.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
RecycleCSTX
queso1 - I am very sorry about the frustration incurred by the tagging of your container!

Drivers tag in an effort to educate residents on placement, overflow issues, hazardous materials etc. so that these issues can be corrected to ensure consistent collections. In most cases, I can't say all, your container is tagged AND collected in the first instance. However, any time after we will tag the container and not empty it so that we can ensure some form of communication takes place.

Unfortunately if containers are too close together or overflowing, it can cause unnecessary spillage or damage to surrounding objects.

Once we hear from you and can explain the reasoning, we enter a work order and return to empty your container. If we hear from you before noon, it will be collected the same day, if after noon we will return the next business day.

Again, very sorry, I know it's a pain and we definitely don't want you (or anyone) to sit with a full container of garbage any longer than necessary. Please don't hesitate to shoot me an email or call, and we will get you taken care of.

Respectfully,
Heather Woolwine
979-764-6229 | hwoolwine@cstx.gov
ksp
When is the next pickup time for Manzano ct in CS. Seems like forever ago and my recycles are now becoming trash.
RecycleCSTX
ksp - Manzano Ct. was collected on Monday, 9/4 and is scheduled again for Monday, 9/18. If you have any issues Monday, please give me a call or email!
Stupe
S
I wish that I could quadruple blue star the post by RecycleCSTX.
oklaunion
Queso:
Don't you just hate it when the folks you are trashing are really nice to you and explain how you ****ed up in such a cordial way?
fitcetera
My bin was tagged over the summer and the trash wasn't collected - and it was the first time we'd ever been tagged in 17 years. And my neighbor put his cans too close to mine; mine has gone in the same spot forever. But they have more vehicles parked on the street and less room to put both a trash can and a recycling can out, so...

That said, I did call the city and they came out the next day to pick up the trash. Seemed like it would have been simpler to pick up and tag the first time.
RecycleCSTX
fitcetera - That is a very valid point and we will definitely bring it up in our upcoming safety meeting! Our goal is to be consistent in all tagging, when/if it is needed.
BlazeHarper
Was the trash can to close to the recycling can ?
OR
Was the recycling can to close to the trash can ?
You have to determine which before you can know which one to move further away.

When they added the recycling cans I was somewhat surprised the number of people who did not understand the schedule or know to have separation between the cans. You can see how the trucks function and how much more it slows down the process when they are close together. Students are totally the worst offenders. They showing no love to our can collecting friends !

Might be time for the city to invest in a blue foam recycling mascot to mingle with the public.
I feel if we could relate to the container more we might all do better

Cancelled
AG
RecycleCSTX said:

queso1 - I am very sorry about the frustration incurred by the tagging of your container!

Drivers tag in an effort to educate residents on placement, overflow issues, hazardous materials etc. so that these issues can be corrected to ensure consistent collections. In most cases, I can't say all, your container is tagged AND collected in the first instance. However, any time after we will tag the container and not empty it so that we can ensure some form of communication takes place.

Unfortunately if containers are too close together or overflowing, it can cause unnecessary spillage or damage to surrounding objects.

Once we hear from you and can explain the reasoning, we enter a work order and return to empty your container. If we hear from you before noon, it will be collected the same day, if after noon we will return the next business day.

Again, very sorry, I know it's a pain and we definitely don't want you (or anyone) to sit with a full container of garbage any longer than necessary. Please don't hesitate to shoot me an email or call, and we will get you taken care of.

Respectfully,
Heather Woolwine
979-764-6229 | hwoolwine@cstx.gov

Thank you for the message! This was the first time our can was tagged. Fortunately we have recycling and I think we can make it another week without pickup.
Cancelled
AG
oklaunion said:

Queso:
Don't you just hate it when the folks you are trashing are really nice to you and explain how you ****ed up in such a cordial way?

I don't think I was trashing anyone. I simply stated the facts. The facts were that the can wasn't emptied and it was tagged. I merely made the point that it could have been tagged and emptied.
Stupe
S
Oh, bull.

You started a subject line with "LOL@" and then made a sarcastic comment about the effort that it took to put the sticker on there.

If you're going to try to make fun of something, at least have the guts to own it.
Cancelled
AG
Stupe said:

Oh, bull.

You started a subject line with "LOL@" and then made a sarcastic comment about the effort that it took to put the sticker on there.

If you're going to try to make fun of something, at least have the guts to own it.

Oh, I'm not backing off it. They could have easily put a sticker on it and taken the trash. But I'm not sure it qualifies as trashing them. I stated facts

And I appreciate the kind follow up, but it doesn't change the fact that they expended the effort to put a sticker but not empty the trash.

Edit: this response has no bearing towards the utilities people. It's solely in response to posters that are getting giddy that I got a nice response.
KidDoc
AG
When they originally dropped off the single stream recycle bins they clearly stated they have to be 5 feet apart with the schedule sticker. If you have ever seen the robotic arm single driver pickup trucks it is very easy to understand why they need the separation. I can totally understand why they would sticker and I do agree they could have edged it over a few feet then used the arm to dump it. They should allow this one, maybe two, times then just not pick it up as a lost cause. Personally I put one can on each side of the drive way so there is a good 20 ft between the two.

Overall since I moved here 2.5 years ago I have been very happy with all of the city trash & recycling services.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgSportsFan
AG
KidDoc said:

When they originally dropped off the single stream recycle bins they clearly stated they have to be 5 feet apart with the schedule sticker. If you have ever seen the robotic arm single driver pickup trucks it is very easy to understand why they need the separation. I can totally understand why they would sticker and I do agree they could have edged it over a few feet then used the arm to dump it. They should allow this one, maybe two, times then just not pick it up as a lost cause. Personally I put one can on each side of the drive way so there is a good 20 ft between the two.

Overall since I moved here 2.5 years ago I have been very happy with all of the city trash & recycling services.

Ditto. They do a great job.
atm86
AG
KidDoc said:

You are so perfect! Blue star for you! 20 feet apart!

What happens when they are 4.5 feet apart...
InMyOpinion
queso1 said:

Oh, I'm not backing off it. They could have easily put a sticker on it and taken the trash. But I'm not sure it qualifies as trashing them. I stated facts

And I appreciate the kind follow up, but it doesn't change the fact that they expended the effort to put a sticker but not empty the trash.

I guess the expectations are higher for the city than for the citizens? At the end of the day someone in your household expended the effort to take the trash can to the road but didnt place it the proper distance away from the recycle bin.
Stucco
I follow the instructions and have never had a problem.

My proposal - each tag adds $2 on the utility bill, and trash is always collected (get out and move it to collect it = $2 tag it). Of course I'm sure people would complain - but if they do just waive the $2. No real harm, no foul. It would be much more cost effective than leaving the trash and paying to send a truck back out to collect a day later.

My biggest issue is that the recycle won't take cardboard boxes beside the bin. I understand why they won't - it just adds a reasonably sized chore to break them down once every two weeks.
Post removed:
by user
TexAg2016
AG
+1.

<3 Burn barrel
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Yet another reason to make me rejoice at living in the county and not messing with recycling.
What does being in the country have to do with you not recycling? You can live in the city limits, not recycle and not have the issue posted by the OP.

Or was that just a humble-brag about how you aren't like us "city folk"?
AgFan1999
AG
He said county, not country.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
bless your heart OP
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.