Hurricane cars @ TX World Speedway

10,990 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cledus6150
Vulcan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's up with all the waterlogged cars there? Is is now a junk yard or will it still become a subdivision?
SCHTICK00
AG
Auction maybe?
AggieAces06
AG
Just temporary storage. They had to move them out of the way for clean up and repairs to start happening.
AggiePirate
AG
It also helps insurance agents assess damages more quickly.
jimmyb
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/over-30000-hurricane-damaged-vehicles.html
carpe vinum
AG
Picture shared by A&M Car Club.

https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
fcag
AG
How many of those cars will get cleaned up and then shipped to northern states to be resold?
carpe vinum
AG
I don't think that kind of funk can be cleaned.
Plus all electronics would be toast.
https://i.imgur.com/uReoXE6.gif
DBSwooper
carpe vinum said:

I don't think that kind of funk can be cleaned.
Plus all electronics would be toast.
It isn't just water funk in the interior and the electrics or even just the motor, water gets into the transmission and axles via vent tubes depending on the year/model of the vehicle. So even if a vehicle "has no water in the engine" serious mechanical issues can still be lingering.

Just like every other vehicle that Coparts or IAA auctions off, there is a reason why the vehicle is being sold.
Tim Weaver
Most of the good stuff will go to foreign countries where the standards to get these back on the road are lower.
PS3D
So this is how Texas World Speedway dies.
ksp
Who ever owns it, is making bank!
UmustBKidding
I wonder if it's zoned for that purpose? Probably should call code enforcement or log in see click fix for every car left for over a few days in non running condition.
AgGunNut
AG
Not in city limits....lol
Stucco
I suspect these are totaled cars headed to salvage and just temporarily held here for inspections & sale.

Unless of course BCS needs a 30k car salvage yard.
techno-ag
AG
Stucco said:

I suspect these are totaled cars headed to salvage and just temporarily held here for inspections & sale.

Unless of course BCS needs a 30k car salvage yard.
Prior news reports indicate it's temporary. We all should be doing our part to help our less fortunate neighbors in Houston and elsewhere affected by the hurricane. Using the speedway for this is a great way to help out.
D_Wag97
AG
Bet they end up in Africa or South America
classicdoug
AG
Copart has a 1 year lease on the property. The cars will all be auctioned off before then. This is just temporary storage. If it wasn't for the aerial pics, nobody would even know they were there.
Builder93
AG
Demolition Derby!

scottimus
AG
Can we go shopping there? I am actually looking for a totaled 07 Colorado for parts!
Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
Kendall Rogers
AG
I bet the price of scrap metal has cratered.
AgGunNut
AG
No. It is not open to the public and staffed by law enforcement 24/7.
DBSwooper
classicdoug said:

Copart has a 1 year lease on the property. The cars will all be auctioned off before then. This is just temporary storage. If it wasn't for the aerial pics, nobody would even know they were there.
And a Jalopnik article as well.
hopeandrealchange
UmustBKidding said:

I wonder if it's zoned for that purpose? Probably should call code enforcement or log in see click fix for every car left for over a few days in non running condition.

Boy howdy you hit a nerve with this. Code enforcement is a joke here in Aggieland. Owner occupied homes look like crap and if an Aggie parks one tire on the grass in a rental home all heck comes down in them.
snaglepuss
But, as said above, this is not in College Station.
techno-ag
AG
snaglepuss said:

But, as said above, this is not in College Station.
It will be, though. That entire area is slated for housing development, although they're not parking the cars in Phase One from what I understand.
halibut sinclair
AgProgrammer
AG
Taken today. I will be adding the video later but they have recently put up a green, temporary fence outside of the track that extends almost all the way to Viking Floor. They also have a ton of portable lighting staged and orange cones numbered for rows.

AgProgrammer
AG
OnlyANobody
I really enjoyed watching this. Well done. Just idle curiosity why there seem to be sections where the hoods are open - whether there's a reason or they just won't close and it's a coincidence that there seem to be groups of them.
BCS-Ag
OnlyANobody said:

I really enjoyed watching this. Well done. Just idle curiosity why there seem to be sections where the hoods are open - whether there's a reason or they just won't close and it's a coincidence that there seem to be groups of them.

I'm betting they are checking to see if there is water in the engine intake. This will help them to determine salvage value, as the likelihood of I destroyed engine goes way up if it was running when it went under water.
chigger
AG
Vulcan said:

What's up with all the waterlogged cars there? Is is now a junk yard or will it still become a subdivision?

I hope to God that TWS site never becomes a housing development. That place is a toxic mess. The stuff they dumped and spilled on that place in its heyday is not something to be trifled with.
war hymn aggie
AG
an insurance adjuster friend of mine said that up to 31K vehicles are expected to eventually be stored there.
AgProgrammer
AG
On September 13th, there were already "over 30,000" cars stored there. I imagine that number has grown substantially and they were putting up fencing behind Viking Floors to start storing cars in the big pasture between the track and the highway feeder.
techno-ag
AG
chigger said:

Vulcan said:

I hope to God that TWS site never becomes a housing development. That place is a toxic mess. The stuff they dumped and spilled on that place in its heyday is not something to be trifled with.
It will be, and it will be a better use for the land than an old speedway. It will also increase the tax rolls and add some much needed housing to South College Station.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.