WiFi outside Kyle Field

2,999 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieBarstool
Turf-Ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For tailgating this year we have decided to try and eliminate the dish. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried using a Firestick for live streaming of games and what the experience was like. Is the Wifi good enough for the streaming or were there alot of "bufferings"?? Is it worth the trouble or not.

Thanks in advancez
AggieBarstool
It will most certainly be utter garbage.

Source: I work on campus and at the games.
Turf-Ag02
AG
That solidifies my decision NOT to use it. Thanks for the input, one less thing I have to pack up at midnight!
Tailgate88
AG
Last year at one of the SEC home games we had a new tailgate party pop up next to us. They had a huge TV and no dish. About three hours before kickoff I asked the guy how he was getting his feed. He proudly showed me his iPad AppleTV WatchESPN set up. I said "That's pretty slick but when it stops working you are welcome to watch the game with us." He looked me with a raised eyebrow and said "What?" Needless to say about an hour later when there were another 50,000 cell phones in the area that was the end of their TV.
AggieBarstool
I wish it weren't the case, but AT&T has had significant infrastructure problems on campus. We've been told it's something being addressed, but "it's going to get worse before it gets better."
JeepWaveEarl
AG
My parents live on the first street parallel to George Bush by The Foundation/Association of Former Students and we can't even get Pandora to play on game days... wifi or cellularly.
Scruffy
AG
AggieBarstool said:

I wish it weren't the case, but AT&T has had significant infrastructure problems on campus. We've been told it's something being addressed, but "it's going to get worse before it gets better."

It's getting addressed.
I have good word that chancellor Sharp was unhappy that his cell phone had poor reception on campus when the students came back and the issue has been pushed to the front of getting done.
techno-ag
AG
Yeah satellite doesn't suffer from 80,000 cell phones in the same general area
FlyRod
halibut sinclair
jja79
AG
I was at the game and had the Oklahoma - Ohio State game going on my phone the whole time with no issues.
Tailgate88
AG
jja79 said:

I was at the game and had the Oklahoma - Ohio State game going on my phone the whole time with no issues.
Inside Kyle <> Outside Kyle. They put a gazillion wireless access points with a fiber network and a data center into Kyle field that nobody outside of Kyle can take advantage of.
marrocco
Tailgate88 said:

jja79 said:

Inside Kyle <> Outside Kyle. They put a gazillion wireless access points with a fiber network and a data center into Kyle field that nobody outside of Kyle can take advantage of.

Hmmmm... maybe with a directional wifi antenna...
Aggie09Derek
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Any update on this? What is the issue? It has been bad both weeks.
crappydad
There is talk that ample bandwidth outside the stadium could be in the works for next season. Just attended a meeting about this.
AggieBarstool
Quote:

Quote:

Any update on this? What is the issue? It has been bad both weeks.
I was told, on Friday, that AT&T is upgrading its infrastructure in the area. Until the upgrade is complete, capacity / signal strength is going to be about 1/4 of what it "should" be.

The reason the signal is better inside the stadium is because Athletics worked with a vendor to ensure that there was a robust distributed antenna system installed alongside (or using the same) hardware put in with the Wifi network.
Koko Chingo
AG
AT&T contractor put equipment on our roof not too long ago out in research park. They said they were doing other buildings on campus too. I do not have AT&T and have not went to a game this year, so I do not know the difference.
AggieBarstool
Koko Chingo said:

AT&T contractor put equipment on our roof not too long ago out in research park. They said they were doing other buildings on campus too. I do not have AT&T and have not went to a game this year, so I do not know the difference.
Yeah, that equipment popped up almost overnight several years ago on main campus. I'd bet they're adding capacity on west campus to cater to that new dorm over there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.