Area high school football games this week?

19,949 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ukbb2003
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh, it's bold but they have been solid all year even in the close ones. If someone beats them, I would expect it to be a team with a solid offense and it turns into a shootout. They (CSHS) seem highly motivated and that class (district-wide) has had some great young athletes. The class behind '18 is also pretty good. Makes for some fun to watch football.
Guess we'll find out in the next coupla weeks.
victory
AG
agree it will take a shootout to beat them...not going to shut them down completely. However in Region 3 there are several teams that fit that criteria and have the guys to put up some serious points
Oogway
I agree; Region 3 is very competitive. Have to be focused to make it out regardless of the sport. Am looking forward to seeing what the realignment wizards concoct for the next two years.
BANA89
AG
CSHS pulled out a close one against Georgetown today winning 34-31.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Stupe
S
Thriller this afternoon in Waco.
phatpat21
CS Cougars vs PNG Indians Saturday at 1pm @ Turner Stadium in Humble, Tx

I think I'm gonna go to that one, should be a great game
BANA89
AG
Is CSHS going to be the visiting team for the third time? That's what it looks like.
phatpat21
Yes, the Cougars will be the Away team
Stupe
S
Good.

2-0 as the visitors.
BANA89
AG
Curious on how they pick game sites, times and so forth in the playoffs. I heard in the old days the winning coaches one week would meet somewhere in between after the prior wins, sometimes 2-3 in the morning to do a coin flip for the next game.

I heard that they now do that in advance, picking "home stadiums" in case of potentials matchups coming up in the playoffs and may do coin flips for the "home" field for a couple of weeks in advance. Not clear how they pick the date and times however, anybody know that?

It seems that CSHS has lost a lot of those home field coin flips, but we've already played several Saturday playoff games and it's not because of of trying to play on a big field like NRG or something like that.
jac4
AG
Brazos Christian Eagles play Magnolia Legacy Prep just down the road in Brenham in the State Semifinals Saturday, 12/2/2017, at noon.
gibby03
AG
BANA89 said:

Curious on how they pick game sites, times and so forth in the playoffs. I heard in the old days the winning coaches one week would meet somewhere in between after the prior wins, sometimes 2-3 in the morning to do a coin flip for the next game.

I heard that they now do that in advance, picking "home stadiums" in case of potentials matchups coming up in the playoffs and may do coin flips for the "home" field for a couple of weeks in advance. Not clear how they pick the date and times however, anybody know that?

It seems that CSHS has lost a lot of those home field coin flips, but we've already played several Saturday playoff games and it's not because of of trying to play on a big field like NRG or something like that.
The week prior coaches will establish a place to play before the results come in Friday night for the teams. Most of the time it's not uncommon to have your "name" on a list at two different places in response to which ever the 2 out of 4 teams that win have a place to play.

Weeks in advance is probably a little too far out realistically because you can't plan on who's going to win, so it's usually done for example, the Monday of the week BEFORE the potential matchup the following week.

USUALLY what happens is that the 4 coaches will speak with each other throughout the week and discuss a neutral site. If a neutral site can't be agreed upon, due to availability or neither side agreeing on where to play, for some very interesting and varying reasons, a home and home situation will set up. After the 1st two rounds usually a 'HOME" stadium would be a larger stadium close by. So for like B/CS schools they may pick Sam Houston or Kyle and a Houston area team may choose NRG or University of Houston. Bigger stadiums with a distinct shorter distance for one team over the other.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
That's what happened last year with PNG. CS's "home" site was PVA&M; PNG wanted Stallworth. They flipped, PNG won, game was played in Baytown.
BANA89
AG
How do they pick the day and time of the game? Just doesn't seem like a coincidence that CSHS has had so many Saturday playoff games.
gibby03
AG
BANA89 said:

How do they pick the day and time of the game? Just doesn't seem like a coincidence that CSHS has had so many Saturday playoff games.

Up to the coaches. Usually when one team gets started on the Saturday plan they want to keep playing on a Saturday to keep a normal 7 day routine. Don't want to play on a Saturday then turn around and play on a Friday on 6 days of prep.

Could've been all kinds of reasons like not finding a suitable stadium in time for a Friday or a preference early on.
Oogway
Another good reason might be so that the students don't miss any school by leaving early. Even if athletics is the final period, it is a good plan to keep extracurricular activities from affecting academics.
eloc62
If my math is right, we are now down to the sweet 16. CSHS plays PNG for a shot in the elite 8. if they win, they should advance to play winner of Fort Bend/ Hutto for the final 4, then game 5 for a birth in the state championship for game 6. is this right?
txags11
AG
Also could be, 5A D2 state final is on a Saturday. Similar to staying in a routine..
BANA89
AG
The Saturday thing really screws up the "other student" side of things. Last Saturday wasn't too bad but there were a lot of absences in the band and drill teams as well as regular student populations I assume (it was a small student group there for sure). Now you figure a lot of that was Thanksgiving conflicts, but I know some was Saturday related.

This Saturday is the regional band tryouts and something like 70 members of the band (and the more senior and/or talented ones) will be in Waco for those tryouts. That along with a few other conflicts will cut the band probably in half. Similar challenges with drill team, cheerleaders and likely some fans. Most would likely be able to attend a Friday night game.

The following Saturday is Freshman region band tryouts and so forth, most of which would not be affected Friday night.

So a Saturday game after the first one or two really cuts into some of the support groups and fans that can attend on Saturday versus a Friday night game. Seems like it would dampen the atmosphere the team was used to all year.
Oogway
Cougars lead 14-0 in first quarter. This is gonna be a blowout.
ukbb2003
Score update?
ukbb2003
Nevermind, I found it. 66-40 Cougars with under a minute to go. Will play Fort Bend Marshall next week for a spot in state semis.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Way to go Cougars! Added bonus - always nice to see PNG get smoked!
phatpat21
College Station Cougars vs Ft Bend Marshall Buffalos
Saturday December 9th, 1pm @ Waller ISD Stadium
College Station is the Visiting team
Oogway
That 'visiting' thing seems to be working for them; might as well make it their theme...
eloc62
Waller stadium cool with me. 45 minute drive, looks like it's gonna be good weather, maybe a little cooler, and I can pick up some Waller County Line BBQ after the game to bring home for dinner that night. Their BBQ is really good, and I love their sauce.
Stupe
S
I thought this was going to be a close game, but it wasn't even as close as the score. CS dominated the game up front. PN-G never stopped playing hard, they just didn't have the size or speed to match CS.

As usual, PN-G fans filled their half of the stadium.

Oogway
Weather should be very nice for the game tomorrow. Safe travels and good luck to all. Oh, and enjoy the bbq!
ukbb2003
CS beats Marshall 49-47. Will play McCallum in State Semifinal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.