Fall Hummingbirds

3,040 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BMo
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There has been a huge influx of hummers since last week. Three 32 oz. feeders are being emptied twice a day. I'm thinking there is going to be a heavy migration route through B/CS this fall, a welcome diversion from the weather issues.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
BlueMiles
AG
I have that same feeder, but nowhere near the traffic. Maybe one day!
turfman80
AG
This is my first use of that feeder, but it seems to work okay. We have been setting out feeders at this house since 1996, so I have to believe that returning hummers come through and recognize the area, especially when we don't have a feeder out and they are buzzing around the window asking "Hey, where's the food?" Seems to build up a continuity of hummingbirds traveling through our area.
BMo
I believe it will be a banner year. I've had 4 feeders out for a few weeks and this one had 9 birds on it Saturday. I have had as many as 20 at a time so far. The link below is to a video I did Fall of 2015 in eastern part of the county.

Fall migration 2015

Tailgate88
AG
Guess I better make some food!
marshw011
AG
I notice the feeders all have clear food, which I assume is sugar and water, rather than the red stuff that you buy premixed and add to water. Is there a big difference quality-wise?
dachicken89
AG
I had one buzz me this morning...thought it was a dragonfly at first. Put out my feeder after lunch and they are dive-bombing all over the yard now. Sometimes up to 6 at a time fighting over the feeder. Need to put out #2. My parents are here (evacuated from ft bend) so good diversion to watch in the evenings instead of the depressing news.

And yes, plain sugar water is what I was told a long time ago by my grandparents. 4 parts water to 1 part sugar is usually good enough. I use bottled HEB spring water though... not the crap water from our public works. Don't put red dye in it. It is not necessary and not good for the birds.

KidDoc
AG
Awesome I'll reload my feeders tomorrow!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NellCote71
My feeder only attracts the dozens of varieties of wasps and bees that collect in my backyard. Any suggestions?
labmansid
NellCote71 said:

My feeder only attracts the dozens of varieties of wasps and bees that collect in my backyard. Any suggestions?
There are feeders that have "bee guards" around the feeding holes. They look like a plastic screen. That usually helps.
nonag97
marshw011 - It's been proven that some commercial mixes contain toxins and chemicals that can be harmful to the birds. You're best to stick with 4 parts water and 1 one part sugar. It's not only cheaper but safer.

NellCote71 - I'm a big proponent of dish-style feeders. It eliminates the force of gravity oozing sugar water out of the feeder. Have used them for well over a decade and never had a problem with pests.

Lastly, I'm wondering if the storm has forced some hummingbirds further inland and into our area in higher proliferation. I'm certainly seeing more for this time of year than I recall in recent memory and they all seemed to show up pretty quickly after the storm hit. Perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not?
Aggies76
AG
What varieties/types of hummers are we seeing here now? I've got one that has a very broad tail.
EBrazosAg
AG
Aggies76 said:

What varieties/types of hummers are we seeing here now? I've got one that has a very broad tail.
Broad tail and rust colored - that would likely be a Rufus.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CS78
They were thick at my house today. I've found that if you start your feeders further out in the yard where they can be seen better you will bring in more. Then once the party gets going move them closer to your windows.
turfman80
AG
I hope everyone is getting a lot of visiting hummers. Going through almost one and a half gallons of nectar a day.
BMo
turfman80 said:

I hope everyone is getting a lot of visiting hummers. Going through almost one and a half gallons of nectar a day.
This one is going through alot of nectar as well.

Shot the video below the day Harvey's rain stop, Tuesday. I had at least 40 birds yesterday morning.

Feeding
Aggies76
AG
I've got one that is very tiny and mostly green. Anyone know what hummingbird that is?
nonag97
Aggies76 said:

I've got one that is very tiny and mostly green. Anyone know what hummingbird that is?

More than likely it is a ruby-throated. If it's lacking the red gorget then it's either a female or an immature male.
turfman80
AG
It's been a great hummingbird fall. Solid numbers have kept moving through....

BMo
It has been a good fall this year.

They are still aggressive with each other also. This was yesterday.

2001AggieDJ
AG
We started using a 1:3.5 ratio after our neighbor had 20 birds on his single feeder with that same ratio, and we just had a few on both of our 1:4's. And we also discovered you don't have to heat the water either.
BMo
2001AggieDJ said:

We started using a 1:3.5 ratio after our neighbor had 20 birds on his single feeder with that same ratio, and we just had a few on both of our 1:4's. And we also discovered you don't have to heat the water either.
Not sure the ratio has much to do with it if it is close to the same but if it works for you that's great. I have had upwards of 40 to 50 birds for days at a time this year using 4:1. I only use hot tap water for my mixture.

This is 2 years ago in E. Brazos Co. and only 2 of the feeders out of 5 I had feeding at the 4:1 ratio. I believe the feeder itself can have an effect. These feeders have 10 feeding port bases.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.