Place to buy A/C parts in B/CS on a Sunday?

1,453 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieJason
AggieJason
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like the title implies, I'm looking for an A/C parts store open on Sunday.

I'm in a rental where the outdoor unit isn't running. Don't hear the compressor start up. Fan spins freely. Already tried the reset button. Hot and cold lines (outside) are barely warm or cool (outdoor unit crapped out somewhere around 10pm, give or take a couple hours). Nothing looks frozen over. Don't have a way to tell if the outdoor unit is receiving power. Indoor unit blowing steadily warmer air (as of Sunday @ 1:40am). Without the outdoor unit working, temp. is on the rise. I can't imagine what it'll feel like in Sunday afternoon.

I'm willing to bet the run capacitor has crapped out (wouldn't be the first time since I started living here) and I'm just handy enough to feel like taking that on vs. waiting for a repair to come sometime Monday. I just need to find the part.

Or am I off base? Is this a contactor issue? If so, I'm not touching that with a 10ft. pole.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed. TIA.
hopeandrealchange
I own rental homes here in Aggieland. If you where in one of my homes I would tell you to not touch it. I would put you in a hotel at my cost until it is fixed. How has your owner/ management responded? To answer your question lowes or Home Depot might have capacitors. Pretty good chance that is the problem. If you don't have a meter do a visual inspection of the capacitor. If the case is bulging that is a great tell. Good luck. I always like hearing these stories. I have found in most all cases tenants get much better service from the "mom and pop" owners than the large management companies. My tenants have my cell number. I keep an inventory of parts just for times like this. Please keep us posted and share your story. Good luck?
hopeandrealchange
Another simple item you might check. Most units now have a float switch in the secondary drain pain. Check to see if the condensate drain lines are plugged.
originaltexan
capacitors can electrocute you

I would recommend waiting or stay with a friend

many AC parts places won't deal with "individuals"....must have an account on file.
AggieJason
AG
Quote:

I own rental homes here in Aggieland. If you where in one of my homes I would tell you to not touch it. I would put you in a hotel at my cost until it is fixed. How has your owner/ management responded? To answer your question lowes or Home Depot might have capacitors. Pretty good chance that is the problem. If you don't have a meter do a visual inspection of the capacitor. If the case is bulging that is a great tell. Good luck. I always like hearing these stories. I have found in most all cases tenants get much better service from the "mom and pop" owners than the large management companies. My tenants have my cell number. I keep an inventory of parts just for times like this. Please keep us posted and share your story. Good luck?

I had a mom-n-pop arrangement like that at one point, but they had to sell off their business a property management group after someone in the family fell ill. He was great about stuff like this and usually responded in hours.

My current landlord is Finder's Keepers BCS. They've been decent about maintenance requests, but of course they're closed weekends.

Is this something that would constitute an emergency?
hopeandrealchange
I would not consider it an emergency. In all of my business decisions I think what would I do and how would I respond if it was my Grandmother on the other end of the phone. It is just darn hot in Aggieland in the middle of August. Not an emergency but needs to be addressed. I would first of all read my lease. I would find a reasonable room for tonight and tomorrow morning if you can't contact them today I would politely suggest that they reimburse you for the room. Stay calm and professional in your communications. The second you lose composure you have lost the battle. J m h o. Good luck and please follow up on how this works out.
UmustBKidding
Think taa does not.consider no ac an emergency and most leases has three days to repair. Harbor freight volt meter to tell if you have 220 from the panel. You should be able to hear contactor engage if you can get some one to.cycle it.on/off while you are by the unit. Drain pan sensor.will.stop it, also there is many times a fuse in the air handler.for.the thermostat 24v circuit.
chigger
AG
We own rental property in town and I would absolutely expect this on a weekend. It's too damn hot. Call it in.
hopeandrealchange
I think we might have a problem with my definition of emergency. I did not want to communicate that you should not call for service. Absolutely call in for service. I consider an emergency a gas leak or a fire etc.
hopeandrealchange
UmustBKidding said:

Think taa does not.consider no ac an emergency and most leases has three days to repair. Harbor freight volt meter to tell if you have 220 from the panel. You should be able to hear contactor engage if you can get some one to.cycle it.on/off while you are by the unit. Drain pan sensor.will.stop it, also there is many times a fuse in the air handler.for.the thermostat 24v circuit.

Like I mentioned earlier I would encourage you to not touch it. You might be held responsible for damage to the unit weather it was your fault or not. Not to mention the risk of personal injury when poking around in something you are not sure of. J m h o
maddiedou
AG
Call the emergency nimber that they gave you or the office and JG innovative does the ac work for them. I would think it would be fixed today

. But as a owner and maint I would appreciate the call before you try to fix something

You hook up a capictor wrong may not turn out good
AggieJason
AG
Oh, I've def. called this in. Finder's Keepers has a maintenance request page that I've filled out with details on what's going on, what troubleshooting I've performed, and my concern. I've also emailed their maintenance guy who has emailed me in the past, hoping maybe he gets email on his phone and sees this earlier than Monday morning. I've exercised an overabundance of politeness as I'm hoping to get them to do something today (Sunday).

I guess staying somewhere else is something to consider if it gets bad enough (my girlfriend has her own place), but I have pets that can't follow.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to perform any repair work on this unit. I'm not in my element and don't want to be liable for repairs.

One thing I may be able to do is reach out to my former landlord (the one that did maintenance before FCBCS took over). His mother owns the property, so he may feel moved to help out. What are everyone's thoughts on that?
maddiedou
AG
Email me. gdogprop@gmail.com
hopeandrealchange
If you have the owners contact info I would say absolutely contact them. I would want to know how my tenants are being serviced by my management providers.
hopeandrealchange
Thanks for sharing this story. I have tried in the past turning over management of my portfolio to only be disappointed.
AggieJason
AG
Emailed.
AggieJason
AG
Looks like Finder's Keepers considers this enough of an emergency to dispatch an HVAC person (who's en route). Props to them and much thanks to maddiedou for their help.
hopeandrealchange
Great news. Let us know what the problem was.
AggieJason
AG
Well, this probably had something to do with it:
http://imgur.com/FVjGWPS
Aggieland Appliance
No doubt! Compressor working hard and pulling a lot of amps!

AggieJason
AG
I'm beyond amazed that the compressor didn't have to be replaced.
Aggieland Appliance
It won't be long!
AggieJason
AG
Well, that's not very reassuring.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.