Place to buy high quality beef, poultry, and seafood - not HEB

5,756 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Smokin Chisel
txcajun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's the thing, I like HEB, and it sells nice stuff at a good price, but their seafood and steaks are hit or miss. I know some people have this animosity towards Whole Foods, but their seafood is better than HEB, in my opinion. I just wish we had other options here in town. Maybe even a Central Market, which is also owned by HEB. I'm open to even driving out to a local farm, too. I'm surprised the Tower Point area doesn't have something comparable given the $$$ homes surrounding the area (e.g. Indian Lakes, Pebble Creek). Maybe people don't cook, so don't care? I do notice the lines at Taco Bell whenever I go to HEB. That stuff is just nasty! LOL
techno-ag
AG
Have you tried Readfield's?
FlyRod
Hammerheadjim
stinkerbelle
Butcher Block, maybe? Not sure about the seafood with them though.
Max06
AG
Readfield' for meat

Fred & Fred for seafood
armymom
I've only been disappointed once with Nolan Ryan Beef so I consider that was just a fluke. It's my go-to meat from Kroger!
nonag97
There's usually a couple of beef purveyors at the bryan farmers market on Saturday. I've bought from both and they're pretty good. There's also someone who sells chicken, not sure if it's just whole fryers or if he has cuts as well. It's dang good chicken. The only downside to this is that it's all frozen. But it's still pretty good quality for frozen.
Scruffy
AG
Max06 said:

Readfield' for meat

Fred & Fred for seafood

EOT
Gunner740
Yonderway farms is a local farm with produce and meat that does some deliveries to different places in town. They're a little pricey, which ultimately led to us having to go back to HEB. They have very good quality meats though. They do not have seafood.
DanHo2010
AG
txcajun - I know the guy who sells the local chicken at the farmers market that nonag mentioned. If you email me I can get you his contact info. Dhorn at aggienetwork. That goes for anyone else on the thread too.
nought
AG
Gunner740 said:

Yonderway farms is a local farm with produce and meat that does some deliveries to different places in town. They're a little pricey, which ultimately led to us having to go back to HEB. They have very good quality meats though. They do not have seafood.
When you say there are places they deliver to, do you mean various grocery stores, etc.? Where could we go to check out their meats?
summergal
Fred and Fred are closing their doors. Last day of service is Saturday, August 19th 10am-6pm.
Post removed:
by user
FlyRod
No more place to buy a VARIETY of seafood, sadly. HEB will still sell the usual suspects of limited variety.

Sadly I'm not surprised. This is a tilapia and catfish town. I will continue to make runs to Houston with a cooler for my seafood needs.

Alternately, maybe time to get in touch with that guy at the farmer's market who takes orders for Gulf seafood.
ChampsAg
Readfield is my go to

May try Rosenthal again soon now that I have a freezer
Tailgate88
AG
For fresh gulf seafood see the guy selling honey just South of Rock Prairie Kroger on the feeder. He usually has a few things on hand but mostly take preorders. Everything we've gotten has been excellent though.
FlyRod
Just got back from the farmers market. The meat selection was excellent...beef, pork, lamb and chicken.
Delmar Berry
I hate the HEB at Tower Point. There I said it.

Just when I figure out where everything is, they changed the entire store around on me. I do like the curbside pick up and their beer selection is great but I had a bad experience with their beer and wine manager and I go somewhere else now.
Smokin Chisel
AG
Readfields is an old fashioned butcher shop and is great for meat. Sad to hear about Fred and Fred seafood. Never made it by there but heard it was good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.