We need another Jess Fields on city council

1,167 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by isitjustme
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am not a Jess Fields fan and I voted for Raney over him when he ran for the State Legislature. But, I am wondering if Jess was good for College Station when he was serving on city council. I know he was a frequent dissenter and I am guessing he annoyed the other council members, but, maybe that was a good thing??

While researching the College Station city property tax rates, I was surprised to discover that the tax rate actually went down each year from 2012 to 2014. These are the years Jess was on city council! Keep in mind, the tax revenues were still higher each of those years because the property values had increased. But, by lowering our city tax rate, it helped soften the tax burden on residents and kept the overall tax growth more on pace with population growth.

Since 2014, city council has raised the tax rate twice and now they are proposing to raise it again. Total property tax revenue in 2014 was $28,169,303 and that has gone up to $41,264,868 in 2017. That is a 46% increase in revenues since 2014 but that's not enough for them! They want to tax you even more!

It seems like the current City Council does not know how to say "NO". l looked at who has filed to run for city council and it is just more of the same. So, do we need another Jess Fields? Should we contact the young republicans club at A&M and encourage them to get several club members to run for office?
Rexter
There are two fixes that need to happen. Council positions need to be paid, and single member districts for the positions on council.

The current set-up heavily favors retired folks and independent business owners.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Paid council positions? Just what we need! More tax dollars wasted.
isitjustme
AG
Actually, CS could use about 4 like Jess. I thought Benham might be like Jess, but he's just another tax and spend progressive like the rest of council.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.