DISH vs DirecTV vs Suddenlink vs Hulu vs Etc

3,080 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by saltydog13
atm86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The last time I saw anything about this was back awhile. New packages and deals have come out, and now AT&T has DirecTV with even more recent "deals" out. Anyone done any shopping recently and can you give some advice?
saltydog13
AG
I got 2 year price lock with DIRECTV since I have att wireless. You get $25 off your directv bill as well if you have the upper unlimited data plan
DisTex
AG
Currently have both Dish and DIRECTV at two seperate houses.

DIRECTV I'm in a two year lock for about 57 dollars including taxes and fees. For 4 Tvs and DVR. SEC NETWORK

DISH JUST SIGNED UP 67 dollars a month for two Tvs Hopper 3 DVR. HBO for a year other movie packs for 3 months and an Echo Dot. NO SEC NETWORK

If you're with ATT DIRECT has the better price.

I'm a big fan of DISH TECHNOLOGY and I believe it's worth the extra 20 bucks.

Prime Time Anytime. All major network shows are recorded automatically during prime time.

Dish anywhere. Watch any channel on my mobile device live anywhere.

DIRECTV mobile device does not work. Garbage.

Dish user interface is easier.

DIRECT has more local stations CW
DISH no CW
AG @ HEART
Plus dish is very tailgate rv friendly with their portable auto satellite dishes.
BrandoC
AG
I will just go ahead and put it out there, Suddenlinks sucks balls. Absolutley terrible! Dont waste your time or money. The ONLY thing Suddenlink has going for them is no contract.
jrhmc
AG
We cut the cord back in May to see how it worked out. We went back to DirecTV for the following reasons:
- lack of live sports from Fox, ABC, and NBC (yes, I know that we could install an antenna but really don't want to)
- no way to really pause live tv and back up more than 5 minutes. PSVue comes the closest with their Cloud DVR that can pause for 5 minutes and can skip commercials for certain channels. However, many of the shows you "record" make you watch the commercials. Since we like to pause games and back up to see plays that we want to see again, this was a deal breaker.

Suddenlink was over $40 more per month for fewer channels when we called so back to DirecTV we went. I think that streaming will be where everything goes eventually but it just didn't have everything we want now. However if we weren't a big sports family who uses our DVR constantly, we would have stayed with streaming.
Love Gun
Been with DIRECTV since 2008 and will not change
ChampsAg
Just switched from Dish after 10 years mainly because I went from Verizon to at&t. Unfortunately I hate both DIRECTV and at&t.

As stated above I much prefer the user interface with Dish. Talked to a tech buddy and he said that DIRECTV moving faster with technology. I do miss commercial skip and Prime Time Anytime.

We do have the whole house DVR with 4 TV connected and that was cheaper than the Dish hopper.

I'll have to see how I feel in two years. Right now very disappointed in everything but the price.
techno-ag
AG
DirecTV is the way to go, hands down. It's even better if you have AT&T Wireless.
chigger
AG
Dropped everything for Hulu/PSVue. Have not missed anything and my wife loves Hulu. No one in my house has complained once. I don't watch much TV to speak of though so I don't have many demands.
DisTex
AG
Dish referral system is fairly easy.
Just ask a family member to use a referral number
If you need one or anyone else it's good for 5 dollars off per month. For 10 months.
VCD0018114373

Direct has a referral system buts it's harder to set up.

Has anyone successfully done the Direct refer a friend?
txcajun
AG
I've used all of these, and honestly, it depends on your needs. Live out in the country, go with Dish or DirecTV, live in town, go with SuddenLink. The PS Vue stuff is horrible, they have all sorts of buffering issues. I know, because I use PS Vue, and have 200MB from SuddenLink (avg. 90-120mbps), still sucks. Sony has licensing issues, too, so some of the commercials and stuff are replaced with a blue screen. Also, be aware that using streaming services will use lots of data (gigabits), so if you have a data cap, you'll probably exceed it. The Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Netflix options are alright, but most of the shows are "meh" at best, with the exception to a few. Plus, you have the same issues with data is you use those. I'd prefer the satellite option. I don't know if they've improved the dishes since I last used DirecTV (2008), but rain always interfered with signal, so you couldn't watch anything while it was raining.
saltydog13
AG
Directv no longer does the refer a friend discount unfortunately
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.