Yangtuo Club (New Hotpot Restaurant)

5,059 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by momkat
patrick.redmill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After seeing this place for months while at Harvey Washbangers, I finally decided to figure out what it's deal was.

Pleasant surprise: it's a hotpot buffet. They have the traditional hotpot soup/fondue and a so-called "dry hotpot" (didn't try it, but it seemed to me very similar to the likes of Ghengis Grill/Yummi Yummi). Super interesting experience and a lot of meat variety on the buffet (beef, lamb, prawns, fish balls, frog legs, octopus, squid, pork belly, etc. etc.). Vegetable selection was lacking, but some good tofu options.

Not necessarily a gushing recommendation, but it's pretty weird this place exists in College Station. Definitely give it a shot if you aren't satisfied with the Chinese options in town.

AggieJason
AG
Whoa, I had no idea this place existed!
FlyRod
I'm pretty satisfied with Shun de Mom Express and 555 Grill, but will definitely check this place out.
studioone
CN
I enjoyed it but it's different from the southeast Asian hot pots I've had. Totally agree about the small selection of veggies. Also need mushrooms. I recommend just doing spicy and forgoing plain and half and half. Lots of different dipping sauces but none that were that great on their own except maybe the Korean chili paste. I'll try mixing some different sauces together next time.

The place was pretty hot though (think Thai Taste but even warmer). The guy working there claimed it was because it was so hot outside but given their hours (closed between lunch and dinner), I'm betting it's because they turn off the AC when they're not there.

$10 hot pot buffet every Tuesday.
Well, okay then
AG
Went today and enjoyed it. I had the "Dry Hotpot", and what you do is fill one bowl with meat/protein and another with vegetables. Then they weigh them and cook them for you.

Be careful though, after weighing my choices the bill was $25. Tasted great but couldn't do that too often!
momkat
Tried it last Tuesday night for their 9.99 special and thought it was excellent. Would definitely go back!
nought
AG
Well, okay then said:

Went today and enjoyed it. I had the "Dry Hotpot", and what you do is fill one bowl with meat/protein and another with vegetables. Then they weigh them and cook them for you.

Be careful though, after weighing my choices the bill was $25. Tasted great but couldn't do that too often!
I'm a little confused. Every other post I have seen, as well as word from friends of mine that have been there, is that this place doesn't charge you by weight -- they have a set price for a given meal, and then it is all you can eat.
MiMi
S
According to their menu, the dry hotpot is priced by weight.

Yangtuo Club Menu
nought
AG
MiMi said:

According to their menu, the dry hotpot is priced by weight.

Yangtuo Club Menu
Well that explains it then. Thank you.
FlyRod
I like this system. Having control over how little (or how much) you eat is nice.
studioone
its very interesting, but scary for newbies...

menu on the buffet includes frog legs, tripe, intestines, snails, lamb, beef, pork, chicken, squid, octopus, whelks, and a few others..

basically for the uninitiated, if you get the hot pot buffet, you are brought a big pot of soup stock and its on a burner...

This is the way i do it...

you go to the buffet and get your condiments/spices/etc... dump in stock.. simmer for a few minutes...

go get veggies.... mushrooms, cabbage, boy choy etc.... dump in stock... simmer for a few minutes...

then add your meats... thicker the meat, the longer it needs to cook... but remember,.. squid only needs a minute or two in the bubbling broth... whereas chicken takes longer... so dont dump it in all at once.. not only does it slow the cooking process, but the shellfish will be done in two minutes or so and the chicken is still slightly not raw, but not done...

the more you put in, the longer you let it cook, the better the soup...

patrick.redmill
studioone said:

This is the way i do it...

you go to the buffet and get your condiments/spices/etc... dump in stock.. simmer for a few minutes...

go get veggies.... mushrooms, cabbage, boy choy etc.... dump in stock... simmer for a few minutes...

then add your meats... thicker the meat, the longer it needs to cook... but remember,.. squid only needs a minute or two in the bubbling broth... whereas chicken takes longer... so dont dump it in all at once.. not only does it slow the cooking process, but the shellfish will be done in two minutes or so and the chicken is still slightly not raw, but not done...

the more you put in, the longer you let it cook, the better the soup...

Pretty much the way to do it. You'll be there all day if you cook each piece of meat individually. Not sure if you went with anyone else, and if they also got the traditional hotpot, but... They only bring your table one pot of stock. If everyone dumps their sauce in, you'll have a chaotic msg molotov cocktail :P. I made liberal use of the small bowls on the buffet; several broths with different sauces.

As far a being scary for newbies, not sure there is a gentler introduction to hotpot than this. I, myself, am not a super adventurous eater. As such, I skipped the tripe

Also: I *think* this place might be BYOB. unsubstantiated, but I saw a table of students drinking beers out of a cardboard 1/2 case of beer.
momkat
The restaurant, is in fact, BYOB. Also the Tuesday specials change each week. Last Tuesday, it was 9.99 hot bot buffet. Yesterday was dry pot for 5.99/lb. I asked them about next Tuesday and he said they hadn't decided yet. They are so friendly. We spoke a lot on Chinese eating habits. Hot pots are more popular in southern China where the food tends to be spicier.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.