Outlet made cracking sound and sparked---turned off power to that room

4 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BCSMom
BCSMom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have someone coming out tomorrow to fix this but I'm still freaking out.

My kid went to plug something into a wall outlet and heard a crackling noise. Hubby took off the outlet plate and saw a few sparks. Called an electrician and turned off that circuit breaker until electrician comes tomorrow. Of course I'm freaking out still! Any ideas? Now I want to go buy a fire extinguisher!
BCStalk
Nothing unusual. A lot of times a component breaks from age in the plug and it can short out. I would recommend keeping a fire extinguisher in your garage and kitchen.
BCSMom
Thanks! Yes, I'll be getting one! I was ready to call 911! It scared me big time!
UmustBKidding
Buy a three pack of extinguishers. You need one for ABC fires, usually called dry chemical to cover paper/wood liquids and electrical.
Depending on the age of your house the wiring may be the cause. Even newer homes can have loose connections. I had one in a stab in type socket cause sparks and over heating. I removed all the stab in connections in my house. But older homes may have aluminum wiring improperly installed or circuit panels made by fpe that have caused many fires. Don't ignore blinking lights, fidgety sockets, get them checked. New homes have started installing arc fault breakers. These detect and disconnect circuit that arc. Unfortunately they are not perfect and have false detects.
nonag97
How someone, particularly those with children, could not have at least one fire extinguisher in their house is baffling to me.
BCSMom
Let me rephrase....we did have one in the house but it hasn't been recharged or whatever it needs to be done to it. So I went out and bought a new one put a reminder in my phone. Should be good to go now!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.