Stolen mail

3,933 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ShawnTxAg
ShawnTxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone took a new credit card and lord knows what else out of my mail. Used the card at three different gas stations, once in Bryan(Babs) no idea where that is. Once at the Exxon in plantersville and once in San Antonio. Called and cancelled it and reported the fraudulent charges, however is it worth my time to contact CSPD or whatever authority to report it? How serious will they take it or will it even be a priority to them since it involves other cities? I also suspect they took my vehicle registration sticker that was just renewed as I have still yet to receive it after renewing it online three weeks ago. Anyone with any prior experience or insight with this have any advice or input? TIA
AgGunNut
AG
Stolen mail would normally fall under something to report to the Postal Inspector. As for the card being used, that can be reported to the individual agencies of jurisdiction that they were used in. They may refer you to report it to CSPD; however, they should be investigating themself since the evidence (video) is easiest for them to gather.
armymom
I've had my card numbers stolen quite a few times and never have notified the police. Seriously, what can they really do? Credit Card company has always reversed the charges and sent me a new card promptly.
BCStalk
Because it allows them to see if this has happened multiple times or if it is just an isolated incident. If they catch the person, it will help with charges.
AgGunNut
AG
Because it isn't the ONLY way they'll go to jail if somehow caught. If the person doesn't press charges (by initially filing a report), there is zero chance of a suspect going to jail.

Side note...by always only reporting to the CC company, all that happens is that the CC company gives you your money back, writes is off, and passes the buck to someone else.
momlaw
AG
File a Police Report.
It will help you document what happened.
I have been a repeat victim of stolen CC #, about every 6 months with my online only card. I have a great data base of exposures.... I have caught one thief.
PD Detectives have heavy loads and are honest about unlikely assistance, still dots are dots and maybe your report will help catch the scum.
ShawnTxAg
AG
Thanks guys, I think I'll call all police departments and report it. Might as well do my part.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
But you need to talk to a manager first.

We have rules on this board.

(Please know this is just a joke. I'm sorry you had to go through that.)
ShawnTxAg
AG
I got a gd laugh after reading this considering I read the canteen thread this morning haha
petey88

Many years back, I was out of state on business, got back to a note on my aprtment door about the cummunity mail box break in & theft. About a month later, as gas credit card bill came with over $500 charged all over Arlington, mainly for cigarettes, beer, candy, etc...maybe 50 places.

I didn't even know I had a card with that company, it was a unsolicited card shipped to me as a valued credit worthy person I guess. I'm sure that practice doesn't exist today.

At any rate, the apartment management suggested called the PD and get a case #, especially since maybe 50 mail boxes were hit. A Federal case, I had to deal with the police, the US Postal service, etc. The card company canceled it right away.

I actually went to one store nearby, because the purchase was time stamped. The Manager didn't care, and basically said so.

I moved a couple of weeks later, the apartment manager said she was going after me for breaking my lease, I told her go right ahead. Never heard another word from anyone about it.
ShawnTxAg
AG
I thought about going to the local store and trying to get information, but google returned no results for a "Babs" gas station in Bryan.
petey88

Advice, don't get too worked up over it,...I found nobody cared, except to file reports because I did. I was pissed off at first, then as I dealt with each entity, was amazed how the crooks would probably get away with it since they wore gloves, no prints. Video was not a common thing at that time.

But, make sure you CYA

Good luck
Stupe
S
What area or neighborhood?
ShawnTxAg
AG
Hardy Weedon road.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
There was a Dabs gas station. I went to church and school with one of the kids. Nice family and owned a few gas stations.
ShawnTxAg
AG
Thanks, Could be what he said, the customer service rep was foreign and hard to understand
jd1990
Please file a report with the USPS Inspection Service. You can use this link:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/investigations/MailFraud/fraudschemes/mailtheft/ReportMailTheft.aspx

I no longer live in BCS area but the Inspection Service in my new town just arrested a number of people that had stolen mail.

Good luck and sorry to hear about this.
txgardengirl

the postal service is scanning all mail anyway - this allows you to receive a snapshot of the envelopes (first class) in your mail for each day by email. If something isn't there, there is a link at the bottom to report the missing mail. Mail fraud is a huge issue!!!

/I realize it won't help with what has passed -but it's a free (already budgeted) service and worth deleting one email a day!
ShawnTxAg
AG
Thanks for the advice

MiMi
S
Quote:

Thanks! I had no idea this existed. I just signed up.
akaggie05
AG
Your cc company sends you activated credit cards in the mail?
ShawnTxAg
AG
No to activate it you just simply call the number listed on the paper the card Is attached to I imagine. I've never had this card in hand so I actually don't know the process of activating it, other than the company said I'd need to call them to activate it when I receive it.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
ShawnTxAg
AG
Well Im not sure how the card got activated then. Ill find out when the new one comes in in a few days....... I hope!!
akaggie05
AG
Yeah, it's usually tied to the primary phone number on the account. If you call from that number, it's activated nearly instantly with no additional info needed. If you call from a different number, you're usually routed to a live person who asks for the last four of your social or some other personal info. At least that's been my experience.
oklaunion
Regarding Informed Delivery, how long does it take to get a first email notice?
txgardengirl
It seemed really quick back when we signed up.

We recently moved and it took a letter of verification and about a week to get it sorted out with the new address and forwarding.

I check it each morning in my gmail and think it's a great service
ShawnTxAg
AG
Just signed up for it this morning. Thanks for the heads up, i hope this helps remedy my problem. If all esle fails ill be setting up a game cam to catch the thief
AgsWin2011
AG
Knowing the way the mail carriers are around here, it was probably your friendly neighborhood mail man.
ShawnTxAg
AG
That crossed my mind as well haha
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.