The Canteen

6,217 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by O.G.
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone been over there yet? Pretty cool little new spot with the hotels and bars. We had a longtime family friend playing some live music while we were there. I loved every minute of it until the gave us our check with drinks we didn't order. They said a girl in our group ordered multiple drinks when she ordered one. The guy said he'd take care of it and then we get another person come over and said we had to pay for the drinks.

Usually wouldn't be a problem, except their prices are stupid high. Needless to say we won't be back.
Stupe
S
I'm a little confused.

Did she order multiple drinks or was she charged for multiple drinks when she just ordered one?
fishngame06
AG
Yeah I'm confused too, especially after the additional comment "it usually wouldn't be a problem".
GSS
Stupe said:

I'm a little confused.

Did she order multiple drinks or was she charged for multiple drinks when she just ordered one?
Doesn't seem confusing... "our check with drinks we didn't order. They said a girl in our group ordered multiple drinks when she ordered one."

Thisguy1
Sorry, she (we'll call her Becky) ordered one drink. Becky rarely even drinks. They tried to say Becky ordered multiple drinks.

Becky and the rest of the group left and it was me and my wife there along with some others that met us later and when we asked for our checks they came and said Becky didn't pay for her drinks and we had to pay for them.

She even paid for it with a credit card so we told them to look it up. They did and said she paid for the one drink, but didn't pay for all of them.
Thisguy1
fishngame06 said:

Yeah I'm confused too, especially after the additional comment "it usually wouldn't be a problem".

I just meant having to pay for someone's drink(s) that they didn't pay for before they left. So I usually wouldn't question it. The problem was their chepeast alcoholic drink there is $4 and that's a beer. She ordered and paid for her $12 mixed drink and then we got stuck with someone else's from the bar that they decided to put on her name.
jja79
AG
Does this place not have a manager to discuss this with? The prices sound in line with nicer bars which is why my drinks are served at home.
Thisguy1
jja79 said:

Does this place not have a manager to discuss this with? The prices sound in line with nicer bars which is why my drinks are served at home.

We argued with the girl for a little while about it, but it was like two 4 year olds arguing because all she would say is "yes she did" to anything we said. She was the 2nd one we talked to about it, but not a manager.

I'm not necessarily arguing about their prices. People pay it, and we did. I knew how expensive their drinks were before we went, which is why we went to Wings first to eat and have some Big Willy's. I only ordered one whiskey, and the guy definitely over poured so props to him on that. I just didn't want to pay for more of these expensive drinks than we actually ordered.
Cancelled
AG
Thisguy1 said:

jja79 said:

We argued with the girl for a little while about it, but it was like two 4 year olds arguing because all she would say is "yes she did" to anything we said. She was the 2nd one we talked to about it, but not a manager.

I'm not necessarily arguing about their prices. People pay it, and we did. I knew how ex*****ive their drinks were before we went, which is why we went to Wings first to eat and have some Big Willy's. I only ordered one whiskey, and the guy definitely over poured so props to him on that. I just didn't want to pay for more of these expensive drinks than we actually ordered.

Are you unaware that you cannot bring any issue regarding a business to the Aggieland board without first seeking out a manager? This how you handle a complaint:

1. Talk to manager
2. Post on Texags aggieland (include in post that you talked to a manager)
Thisguy1
Well you'd think that after arguing with a second person for 5 minutes about it, she'd go get a manager. For all I know she was the head girl. Idk why else the guy would go get her to argue for him if she wasn't a little more important than he was.
The Original AG 76
AG
You could have simply said NO !!! I assume that your friend has a phone and you did call her to confirm that she didn't order more than 1 drink. If so..Simply tell the whoever that you are not going to pay someone else's tab. If they allowed her to leave with an open unpaid tab its their problem. They have the CC info let em go after the charge. I don't understand why you even bothered to spend 5 minutes to argue with some server. Just say NO and leave ! What will they do ? Call the cops and tell them that you refused to pay someone else's tab ! Just walk out. Case closed.
Of course TODAY..I would be back in there as soon as they opened with your friend and DEMAND to see someone really in charge. I am sure you will be taken care of satisfactorily .
BrandoC
AG
It is probably best for all of us that you never go back.........
Thisguy1
I agree with all of that. I just think if they were that adamant about us paying the tab, they would have next gone to the people that came to meet us later had we just left. They didn't really know the girl, but probably wouldn't have argued it like we did and just paid it.
Thisguy1
We won't, but I'd love to know why you don't want us there.
rhoswen
AG
Then the people who stayed after you also refuse to pay someone else's tab. This isn't difficult.
The Original AG 76
AG
Thisguy1 said:

We won't, but I'd love to know why you don't want us there.
You ARE going back as soon as they open TODAY and demand to speak with the manager or owner I presume!! I assume that it would be a lot more effective than posts on some internet thing.
Please let us know what some one who actually is in charge says or does...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I would have laughed at them, paid MY bill and left.

It wasn't my tab, they cannot make me pay it. That you actually paid someone else's bill is the confusing part. They wouldn't have gotten one penny out of me.

If she skipped out without paying anything, then maybe they could combine her tab to yours, but she paid. If they didn't include all her drinks, that's on them.

Why did you pay her tab? That's crazy.
Jetty
AG
Went once.. won't be back...
Captn_Ag05
AG
Any particular reason?
Jetty
AG
Had one draft beer and one well vodka and tonic. Bill was $16. That's ridiculous in this town. Can drink for a lot less in this town.
rockelle
you are right you can drink for less elsewhere. Enjoy the Cowboy.

I have had good experiences at the Canteen. It's a hotel bar. It's a bit pricey, but it has a great hang out vibe, it is nice and the snacks and appetizers have been great.
Stupe
S
You didn't ask to talk to the manager, but you got on here to badmouth the business?

Thisguy1
Would it have been different had I said 'The Canteen wait staff?' I've never asked to see a manager in my life. I'm usually pretty easy going, but this waitress acted like a 4 year old, after we were already told it was being fixed.

I realize that we should have just paid our tab and left. I would have no issue in doing so. My wife, however, used to work in a restaurant. The way they do things is sort of strange anyways. I even mentioned earlier in the night that we could just leave and they would have no clue (it was just an observation, not a suggestion). Kind of ironic how the night played out.

I mentioned we should just leave when they brought it to our attention and the wife wasn't having it. She always says the waitress has to pay the tab if we don't and feels bad. No clue if that's true or not, but if I thought arguing with a waitress acting like a 4 year old was bad...

It was late, I had already argued with 2 different people about it, I was ready to leave. They obviously didn't care enough to make sure we left happy. It's fine. I probably wasn't going back again because the prices aren't worth it, but this just made sure I didn't. I was really curious if others had this issue because like I said, it all seemed chaotic.

I felt pretty bad because we were supposed to just go to Carney's and I suggested this place. I don't know that any of the group really enjoyed themselves, and only 3 of us know about his incident happening.

Probably the biggest reason I just paid it was I didn't want them going after the girl for it because I don't know what all that involves. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Doesn't mean it's not ****ty of the bar. I'm not exaggerating when I say the waitress literally just said 'yes she did' while pointing at the receipt to anything and everything we said, with the guy who said he was going to fix it just standing behind her watching.
Stupe
S
Thisguy1 said:

Would it have been different had I said 'The Canteen wait staff?' I've never asked to see a manager in my life. I'm usually pretty easy going, but this waitress acted like a 4 year old, after we were already told it was being fixed.

Yes. It absolutely would have been different because the problem was with the staff.

From what you said, you were charged for something that you didn't order, which is unacceptable. You correctly brought it to the attention of the waitress and it doesn't sound like she handled it very well and neither did the other person that spoke with.
At that point, you had a choice to either pay for it or asked to see the manager. You chose to pay for it, and based on what you said in the rest of your post, I and everyone else can probably see your point in making that choice.
Had you gone to the manager, they would have either resolved it to your satisfaction or not. It's not even difficult to say " I think there was a mistake...." and not make a big deal about. Had the manager not resolved it, then you would have been completely justified in putting up a bad review.
However, you didn't do that and then came on here bad mouthing a business by saying they they "obviously didn't care enough to make sure you were happy" when you didn't even put forth the effort to talk to the manager in order to give the business...not the wait staff...a chance to make it right.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Some of you are unreal. You advocate always going to the top, make a scene, etc. over a few dollars.

Sometimes the better part of valor is to just walk away.

Live and learn.

MosesHallRAB83
AG

Quote:

"obviously didn't care enough to make sure you were happy" when you didn't even put forth the effort to talk to the manager in order to give the business...not the wait staff...a chance to make it right.
So, when a business makes a mistake, it is incumbent on the customer, who pays the tab, to insure that it is taken care of and not the staff, regardless of level? That's not how I was taught to run a business. Every level of employee needs to be able to handle the situation or call on someone who can.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Oh, and Stupe I didn't really mean to single you out, you just happened to be the last post that "triggered" me.
maddiedou
AG
Rochelle. Do not make fun of the cowboy we go there every year after coaches night I believe 17 years and hopefully another 20plus
Stupe
S
MosesHallRAB83 said:

Some of you are unreal. You advocate always going to the top, make a scene, etc. over a few dollars.

Sometimes the better part of valor is to just walk away.

Live and learn.

Who said anything about making a scene?
I specifically stated in my post, " It's not even difficult to say " I think there was a mistake...." and not make a big deal about. "
Mature adults have the capability to handle situations without making a scene.

And I agree with you that sometimes just walking away is the best option, but the OP didn't "just walk away". He walked out and then came on here to give a bad review.

Stupe
S
MosesHallRAB83 said:

So, when a business makes a mistake, it is incumbent on the customer, who pays the tab, to insure that it is taken care of and not the staff, regardless of level? That's not how I was taught to run a business. Every level of employee needs to be able to handle the situation or call on someone who can.
I completely agree with you. However, if the employee can't handle it and doesn't call someone who can, then the customer should ask for someone that can handle the problem.

If the customer doesn't at that point, it's on them.
Stupe
S
MosesHallRAB83 said:

Oh, and Stupe I didn't really mean to single you out, you just happened to be the last post that "triggered" me.
Didn't take it personal.
patrick.redmill
Gotta say, I had a similar experience in the restaurant. Not this particular problem, but a waitstaff that was too spaced out, in general, given how expensive this place is. If this were The Republic or Veritas, the OP's issue would have been quietly, quickly, discreetly, and satisfactorily solved (in all likelihood). That's the sort of thing high-end restaurants and bars excel at.

This place has a serious existential problem. The overall execution isn't up to the standard of what they want to be. Honestly, with the cavernous (but admittedly well-done) space and goofy theme, I think they would be more successful as a high-end sports bar/grill.
AgGunNut
AG
I agree with you...I think. I've been there twice now. I get the vibe that the place is fairly high-end and has great potential as that type of place, yet the staff have the personality and drive that I would expect out of someone who works at a bar in a Holiday Inn.

I liked the food. I liked the drinks (although expensive and not the quality of other expensive places). I really liked the atmosphere. The service (or maybe it was just the attitude of the staff) flat-out sucked.
AggiePirate
AG
queso1 said:

Thisguy1 said:

jja79 said:

I'm not necessarily arguing about their prices. People pay it, and we did. I knew how ex*****ive their drinks were before we went, which is why we went to Wings first to eat and have some Big Willy's. I only ordered one whiskey, and the guy definitely over poured so props to him on that. I just didn't want to pay for more of these expensive drinks than we actually ordered.

Are you unaware that you cannot bring any issue regarding a business to the Aggieland board without first seeking out a manager? This how you handle a complaint:

1. Talk to manager
2. Post on Texags aggieland (include in post that you talked to a manager)

I feel like Greg D should have the final say over these.
techno-ag
AG
AgGunNut said:

I agree with you...I think. I've been there twice now. I get the vibe that the place is fairly high-end and has great potential as that type of place, yet the staff have the personality and drive that I would expect out of someone who works at a bar in a Holiday Inn.

I liked the food. I liked the drinks (although expensive and not the quality of other expensive places). I really liked the atmosphere. The service (or maybe it was just the attitude of the staff) flat-out sucked.
Yeah it's good info to know. I appreciate you and the OP sharing your experiences.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.