Driver's License Test

2,095 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by momkat
momkat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is the only option for taking the test through a scheduled appointment? Is there not an office that is old school and will take walk in test takers?
91_Aggie
AG
Have to schedule AFAIK

There is a place operating out of HEB tower point named Safeway that can do the driving test part... not sure if you had to have done your driver's ed with them.

Psychag
AG
Reservations only. In many of the offices, including Bryan, usually a 2-3 month wait. Look for the small town DMVs for a shorter wait time. If you are around BCS , you may want to contact Groesbeck.
chigger
AG
Brenham
drivinwest
AG
Don't get me started on the clustereff that is our local DPS office. Bypass that nonsense and go to Groesbeck.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Brenham is great, have to go down with all your paperwork first to schedule appointment (4-6 weeks out) then go back to take the test. Be sure your kid has his VOE and all the paperwork and your kid has to go with you to schedule.
FJB
MiMi
S
Is an appointment needed for obtaining a learner's permit?
MisterShipWreck
Yes, go to Brenham
LOYAL AG
AG
Hempstead is good as well. Like Brenham go down a couple of weeks out to set your appointment then go take the test.
AgFan1999
AG
Brenham's closed unless you live in Washington County.
aggiepaintrain
AG
It wasn't 2 months ago, and since it's a 'state' office I don't think they can get away with that for long....

FJB
AgFan1999
AG
I made that up.

I got tired of waiting in line.

If people think it's closed, shorter lines!

I will say to budget some additional time - they've been re-working the parking lot recently - parking is at a premium for the time being.
ratfacemcdougal
Also check into the Real ID. Not sure if the new licenses are already being issued as Real ID or not.
gettingitdone
Go to Waco!!!
jrhmc
AG
My son did it last month at the supercenter in Spring. Super easy! We were in and out in about an hour. We did have to make an appointment online a few months in advance but the service there was great. It's about an hour and 15 drive to get there.
AgFan1999
AG
don't think they are Real ID if you got a new DL or renewal before October of last year - I think you can request one now or by 2020 (when all 50 states have to be compliant with the law).
momkat
After much searching, I found an appt in Waco for the 18th of this month. Crazy system. Different offices have different online sites to use for making an appointment. What boggles my brain is how busy (as in out the door busy) the offices are even with the appt system.
gettingitdone
momkat,,,

not sure how much has changed over the years, but my son did his in Waco and he said he drove on the campus of TSTC. He said really impossible to fail because the campus is small and he never drove over 20mph.
momkat
Thank you all for your responses. After many hours of searching, I finally got her into the Waco location this Friday.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.