Weirdest Thing Happened Last Night Near Brenham

8,481 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Belton Ag
TexAg2016
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Strange happenings last night...

We live in Chappell Hill, which is about 8.25 miles east of Brenham. Very quiet little town.
The nights and days here are silent.

Its about 10pm last night, (video below was taken at 9:59:53) and the wife and I are watching "24-Season 4". (which ironically has a terrorist stealing a F117 stealth fighter and shooting down airforce one)

In the middle of the episode, we hear a low flying jet that actually rumbles our house. My first thought was it was in the TV show, but upon pausing it I realized it wasn't. I then started thinking that it was a private jet too low on approach to Brenham Civil Airport. The noise abated as I got up and went to the window, when about 30 seconds later I hear the noise again, and see a low flying jet right above our house. I do not know if it was the same one that quickly somehow circled around, or if it was another jet altogether.

I scrambled to put some shoes on, and hurried outside to see what was going on. I was standing in my driveway (for clarity I included a daytime picture from where I was standing in the video), when we started hearing the jet (or another jet) again. I quickly started videoing with my phone, and caught it going over.

Now my father has been a pilot for 30 years flying 737s, and I knew something was majorly wrong. The plane to me looked about 500-750 feet up, and appeared to be a 757 or maybe an A330. Had a round engine cowl, so not a 737. The tail light was not illuminated on the plane if it had one, and I don't think its landing gear was down, as I saw no taxi light. The thing flew over head and appeared to be descending as it went toward HWY290. It had a heading of about 235deg. I was fairly certain the thing was going to crash, although nothing happened. This video was the last time that it happened and I never heard anything more about it.

I called the non emergency Brenham police line, and the lady told me they had had multiple calls about it and "were sending deputies to investigate" Said she'd call back if they found anything out and that a deputy might call to see my video but none of that ever happened. I looked on flight aware, but didn't see anything anywhere near os that fit the description as everything was flying ~20000 ft. which is normal for the approach to Houston (different direction from where this plane was going) that goes over our place.

Anyone have any idea on what this could have been?

Pics and Video below.
Neither of them is zoomed in.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xu13Au][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xib6TJ][/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XicYfy][/url]Video Link on Flickr

redd38
AG
Jade Helm
rsa
AG
KC-135? Something similar happened in MO a few months ago: http://fox2now.com/2017/03/29/mystery-solved-low-flying-aircraft-identified/
95_Aggie
AG
nice legs
TexAg2016
AG
KC135 has four engines. I saw this distinctively had two. Could be something along those lines I suppose. Forgot to add that the police called the Brenham airport and they said no flights last night. They only have a 6000ft runway anyways. It would make more sense if there was an air base anywhere around us. Flight radar shows nothing above us at the exact time I took that video. Pink arrow is what I saw. Nothing there. Both planes on the radar are at 21000 ft.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xu5AZ9][/url]
Rapier108
Flight tracker won't show military aircraft.
Koko Chingo
AG
You are close enough to the airport where it does not seem that unreasonable an aircraft in trouble may be that low. Definitely not a normal thing, but in an emergency nothing to be surprised about.

I can see you being nervous about it flying over twice. I believe the airport in Brenham has enough runway to land a 757 and should definitely be able to take off at less than maximum weight.

Each airport should have go-around procedures for aircraft that need to make additional attempts. Brenham does not have an Air Traffic Control Tower. In an emergency aircraft would have to coordinate with the FAA (Houston most likely).

In an emergency, the aircraft may circle the runway away from the populated areas, while contacting the FAA to clear any local traffic away from the airport so that it can land w/o risking a collision.

Using myth busters terminology, this is plausible. Call the Airport office @ 979-836-5462, the airport manager @ 979-337-7212, or run up there for a burger and shake for lunch and ask questions.

- Not a pilot, aircraft maintenance
TexAg2016
AG
Agreed
Rex Racer
AG
Koko Chingo said:

You are close enough to the airport where it does not seem that unreasonable an aircraft in trouble may be that low. Definitely not a normal thing, but in an emergency nothing to be surprised about.

I can see you being nervous about it flying over twice. I believe the airport in Brenham has enough runway to land a 757 and should definitely be able to take off at less than maximum weight.

Each airport should have go-around procedures for aircraft that need to make additional attempts. Brenham does not have an Air Traffic Control Tower. In an emergency aircraft would have to coordinate with the FAA (Houston most likely).

In an emergency, the aircraft may circle the runway away from the populated areas, while contacting the FAA to clear any local traffic away from the airport so that it can land w/o risking a collision.

Using myth busters terminology, this is plausible. Call the Airport office @ 979-836-5462, the airport manager @ 979-337-7212, or run up there for a burger and shake for lunch and ask questions.

- Not a pilot, aircraft maintenance
I'm pretty sure the burger place closed.
halibut sinclair
Yep, the Southern Flyer Diner closed in January.
TexAg2016
AG
Plausible I suppose. The police said they talked to "the airport" whoever that may have been, and had no incoming planes. We heard it three different times, and if that plane was in go around, it would have had to be an incredibly tight and low circle to keep coming over that repeatedly
Koko Chingo
AG
This is definitely a strange one. Is Brenham normally used by the military for training?

Most civilian airports the military use for training charge the government a maintenance fee. At least for the AF, they normally train fixed wing at airports with a tower.

That stinks about the diner.
TexAg2016
AG
Im thinking even with the length of runway for a jet of that size, it isn't designed for the weight necessarily. Maybe in an emergency... but you'd think it would be news if it was.
AggiePhil
AG
What?? The diner closed?!?
Oogway
Inexperienced aliens from Easterwood heading south, maybe?

toolshed
AG
Doesn't anyone read the news anymore? It's just BTU scanning their transmission lines! They just decided to use a massive jet instead of their normal helicopter to see if anyone was paying attention.

Or...it was aliens.

Or...Trump is reallocating forces for our super secret "Fire and Fury" campaign!
TexAg2016
AG
Lol. BTU doesn't run out there. Its Bluebonnet Coop and LCRA.
AgFan1999
AG
I'm just a few miles WNW of that area...could it have been beginning approach into ABIA?
TexAg2016
AG
I can't rule anything out... but there were no taxi lights on, and he was at 500-750 feet and still 100 miles East of ABIA
AgFan1999
AG
I heard rumblings around that time, but we've got train tracks a mile or so away. We're more on the approach to IAH than anything else.

If I see our local DPS trooper, I'll ask if he's heard anything.
fourth deck
AG
I live close enough to GSP here in Greer that we get propeller aircraft and small jets over the house. From time to time Navy 737s and Air Force E-8Cs will use GSP to run touch and gos for training. It really gets your attention when aircraft that large are running patterns that only smaller aircraft run. You can tell especially the E-8C has to work hard to run the pattern that tight. I've tried calling the tower and they say it's like an interstate highway: if they can accommodate it with traffic they will (and GSP is a private airport). Even the FAA can't get any details about where these guys come from.

INB4 sound of freedom
The Original AG 76
AG
the diner CLOSED !!!! WTF !!!
One of my favorite stops. It was always crowded , YUGE waiting lines.
Anyone know what happened ??
TexAg2016
AG
Closed eight months ago. Couldn't have been that good if y'all just now know...
AgFan1999
AG
the writing was on the wall when it went to 9-2 every day.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Could have been A J Foyt or his grandson, A J Tony Foyt IV. AJ the IV is a scouting assistant for the Indianapolis Colts. His wife is the daughter of the owner and I have seen Colts aircraft at the Brenham airport regularly.

A J has a smaller jet and he uses Brenham as well. His home is is Waller.

TexAg2016
AG
If referencing N614AJ, thats much smaller than what I saw, and doesn't have wing mounted engines.
redd38
AG
So I was talking to someone that lives in Anderson and she mentioned that some weird military planes flew over her house the other night! So OP isn't crazy. She said it was two planes flying side by side first then a third behind them.
TexAg2016
AG
That sounds exactly like it redd
duffelpud
AG
Operation MENA SOUTH.
Ag97
AG
Houston Air Show I believe is this weekend. Maybe the military is doing some low altitude drills in the area while they have different air crews and personnel in.
TexAg2016
AG
2200 is an odd time to do that over a populated area.
toolshed
AG
Russian spy plane overflight

Obviously not the right engine profile according to the video on the article. But it sounds like the Russians are inspecting the middle defense silos in your neighborhood!!
Ag97
AG
T.A.Peterson said:

2200 is an odd time to do that over a populated area.
My parents live a few miles away from a spec ops base in New Mexico. There are AC 130's and Ospreys' flying over at all times of the day. My guess is military doing some training.
accountdelete
T.A,
My wife and I live between Brenham and Chappell Hill and heard and saw those planes also. They went directly over the top of our house and were very large and flying very low. It was 10pm or a little after and dark, so I couldn't make out what they were. I guessed they were 1000ft or less.

My suspicion was that they were moving military aircraft. As to why they were so low, I have no idea. Maybe trying to stay out of the flight altitudes of the commercial airliners?

We never have any airplane traffic where we are, other than the Houston IAH stuff flying west over our house, but those planes are at final altitude.
Risa89
E8-C JSTARS and other military aircraft from Robins afb in Georgia and also florida, are evacuating the military aircraft due to hurricane irma. A lot are headed to tinker afb and dyess and. My husbabd is a mechanic on them and they are radar jets.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.