Rezoning of corner of George Bush and Fairview

3,543 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PS3D
Frio Cielo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New owners are proposing to rezone to general commercial to put in retail store on the first two lots down Fairview.

I would be sort of upset if I lived on the third lot for years and now I am next to a commercial retail store.

Anybody have any other insight on this or opinions?
carpe vinum
AG
If I lived on that 3rd lot I'd be kinda excited my teardown house is now worth a couple hundred grand.
Frio Cielo
It's in a residential convervation zone so the third lot can't be rezoned to commercial and it's tax appraised value is already $290,000.

I am not sure with a commercial store with dumpster next door in the back and probably trash flying all over at times will increase its value?
PS3D
Frio Cielo said:

New owners are proposing to rezone to general commercial to put in retail store on the first two lots down Fairview.

I would be sort of upset if I lived on the third lot for years and now I am next to a commercial retail store.

Anybody have any other insight on this or opinions?
First, the house on Fairview at George Bush (southwest corner I presume, if we go by "railroad north" is really bad from the street. It's boarded up and the siding has been stripped off. The house next to it isn't much better, a nasty little shack obscured from the street by overgrown trees. It also seems to have been boarded up for some time (at least December). So your neighbors aren't very good as-is and anything other than a used car dealership or strip club would increase value.

Secondly, you are (well, theoretically if you lived on that third lot) already close to that Shell gas station, which has been a gas station for many years, so it's not like you're new to decidedly non-residential neighbors.

Thirdly, it's a heck of a lot better than another four "Ag Shacks" to make your street a living hell.

Fourthly, that area needs more retail for the amount of traffic it regularly gets. In fact, I'd bet that that's going to be the new home of Aggieland Outfitters since their old location will probably be X'd for the George Bush underpass project.
carpe vinum
AG
Billy should buy it so he can have a flop house close to Texags. Just put in a Mr. g's pizza, or a good bar next door.
Oogway

AggiePhil
AG
Supposedly everything from Varsity II down to the Shell station is slated for eventual demolition when the underpass is built. This includes AO, the TexAgs building, the gas station, Pruitt's, etc.
Frio Cielo
AggiePhil said:

Supposedly everything from Varsity II down to the Shell station is slated for eventual demolition when the underpass is built. This includes AO, the TexAgs building, the gas station, Pruitt's, etc.

Not what the design is. The varsity is gone. TxDot paid the owners of the strip center buisiesses and the other businesses to take six feet from the parking lot. The businesses stay per two of the owners of the businesses. Access and parking will be a cluster so it will probably greatly affect their customer traffic.

The grade separation will begin the other side of Monclair. There will be a light at Montclair. There will be island that will prohibit left turns into Fairview when going west on GB.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Is there a link to the plans? What is the timeline on construction, again?
Frio Cielo
I was told last week that construction has been delayed due to the increased traffic flow going east on GB that will result from the residents of "Sharptown". The design is being re-evaluated.
AgDotCom
Frio Cielo said:

It's in a residential convervation zone so the third lot can't be rezoned to commercial and it's tax appraised value is already $290,000.

I am not sure with a commercial store with dumpster next door in the back and probably trash flying all over at times will increase its value?
The City of CS Comprehensive Land Use Plan shows the subject property to be either Urban or Mixed Use.

The Neighborhood Conservation area is to the east of it.

Trash flying all over the place? Really? You'll get more trash blowing in from traffic on George Bush Drive and from Game Day / Midnight Yell foot traffic than you will from a secured dumpster, and it won't be close.
PS3D
For what it's worth, I noticed both buildings were gone with bulldozer scrapes where the foundations and the yard used to be. Good riddance.
war hymn aggie
AG
My former neighbor used to own that property. He passed away last year but his family inherited it. Awhile back, I was told that this property along with all the others on the south side of campus in that area will eventually be torn down to build an overpass over the railroad track.
Spoke to the owner of the dry cleaners there awhile back & he confirmed what I had been told.
No specifics re: timelines. Just repeating what I had been told.

ooshwa
Staff
AG
https://www.bwx-bcs.org/description/

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/bry/planvw.pdf
Goat Man
AG
Great information ooshwa thank you. I get why Frio does not like this plan, especially if it is their house that will be adjacent to the newly re-zoned Commercial property. What is the point of zoning if it is not going to remain as is?
rockelle
From Wellborn to Fairview on that side of Bush has been commercial (including a liquor store that was there for 30+ years) for as long as I remember. I don't see the problem with extending the commercial zoning another 100 feet. That Shell station has been there for 40+ years, has that hurt those properties?
EBrazosAg
AG
I can't see the big deal. 1 lot faces GB. The rest are pretty close to a dump of a gas station. I am pretty certain that AO will be a better neighbor and landscape better than what is there now or what is likely to come along.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
biobioprof
My wife went to a planning and zoning meeting earlier tonight. Yes, it's for AO.

From what she told me it sounds like the AO owners get to take heat from the neighborhood for a whole bunch of unclear consequences of the project ... like how traffic will get to those businesses.
If her report is right, Montclair and Fairview will not go through to George Bush and the AO owners want the second lot partly so customers can exit onto Old Jersey without having to jog over on Fairview.

But I don't get where traffic would go on Old Jersey.

P&Z unanimously voted to approve.
Frio Cielo
biobioprof said:

My wife went to a planning and zoning meeting earlier tonight. Yes, it's for AO.

From what she told me it sounds like the AO owners get to take heat from the neighborhood for a whole bunch of unclear consequences of the project ... like how traffic will get to those businesses.
If her report is right, Montclair and Fairview will not go through to George Bush and the AO owners want the second lot partly so customers can exit onto Old Jersey without having to jog over on Fairview.

Always subject to change, but the most recent TxDot plan for the underpass shows a light at Monclair and GB where you can tun onto Montclair. At Fairview, it will go to GB but there is an island in the middle where cars going west will not be able to turn into Fairview.

aggiepaintrain
AG
I wonder if the "fair view" of Kyle Field will be obstructed by the AO.
biobioprof
Frio Cielo said:

biobioprof said:

Always subject to change, but the most recent TxDot plan for the underpass shows a light at Monclair and GB where you can tun onto Montclair. At Fairview, it will go to GB but there is an island in the middle where cars going west will not be able to turn into Fairview.

Interesting. But then why would it matter if customers exiting the AO lot are turning left onto Fairview or going around the block, to get to Montclair? Old Jersey still seems weird. I found myself wondering if this will lead to the resurrection of the long-dead plan to extend Welch to Bush... which led to my current suspicion of neighborhood activism. Yes, we stopped Welch from becoming a major traffic artery, but we enabled Dennis Maloney's career on local politics. Ugh.

I'm confused... and the subject to change is a big qualifier. IIRC, my wife said that many people at the hearing were blaming TxDOT for not being clear on the plans.
kraut
AG
Frio Cielo said:

biobioprof said:

I keep hearing that from people but I have yet to see anything with a signal at Monclair. That intersection is too close to Gbush/Wellborn for a signal.
PS3D
biobioprof said:

Yes, we stopped Welch from becoming a major traffic artery, but we enabled Dennis Maloney's career on local politics. Ugh.

I'm confused... and the subject to change is a big qualifier. IIRC, my wife said that many people at the hearing were blaming TxDOT for not being clear on the plans.

Which was an incredibly short-sighted decision on the part of everyone there, as the neighbors and houses who would be affected fled anyway. If the new replacement "Ag Shacks" had been built with proper setbacks and had they not already have re-done the road in concrete about 5-7 years ago, then maybe Welsh could actually be useful as an additional minor corridor to take pressure off of Wellborn Road and Texas Avenue. In fact, when that extension was (first?) considered, they were also considering upgrading Dexter to be more of a major road extension.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.