Anyone tried Ye Star buffet??

9,320 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
cs69ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MiMi
S
I have been twice and have enjoyed it.

There were mixed reviews in this earlier thread:

Ye Star Chinese Buffet
Frio Cielo
I was on the first review. It's alright but nothing special. A little high priced at I believe $12.95 plus tip and drink for lunch.

When I walked by the shrimp, crab and other seafood I always had the feeling my price was jacked up due to those offerings which I don't eat at a Chinese restaurant.

I will go back, but not often.

MiMi
S
Quote:

I believe $12.95 plus tip and drink for lunch.
That is the dinner price. Lunch is $9.99.
91_Aggie
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

I believe $12.95 plus tip and drink for lunch.
That is the dinner price. Lunch is $9.99.

Lunch on Sunday is $12.99
MiMi
S
Is there anything 'extra' on the dinner/weekend lunch buffet that isn't on the weekday lunch buffet that would justify the higher price?
rsa
AG
It was serviceable. Nothing special enough to draw us back.
summergal
My teenager and his friends went last week. Remember, they will eat anything not nailed down. Kid came home and said it was not very good.
DBSwooper
summergal said:

My teenager and his friends went last week. Remember, they will eat anything not nailed down. Kid came home and said it was not very good.
And they really want to talk to you about him eating the napkin holders...
Alte Schule
I went a couple of weeks ago and found the food and selection to be decent. I got my moneys worth. Unlike some other buffets in this area it was really clean.
SchnauzerMom
Went last week at the urging of a coworker. It was $8.99 for the lunch buffet and we both enjoyed it.
91_Aggie
AG
It was clean, but they put down some weird, carpeted tiles on the ground. It's like a laminate flooring tiles, but with just a very thin covering of cloth. That place is going to smell like crap in a few months.

Carpet at a buffet place is a very bad idea.

Oh, and probably wouldn't go back. Nothing special about the food at all.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
as i noted in the other thread..

yes, the ambiance and atmosphere is better than anything else in town as far as chinese buffets but the food is mediocre at best. definitely not inspired to try and find parking in that area just to eat food that doesn't stand out in any way.
Goose83
AG
I'm afraid we're never going to get another buffet the quality of the old Confucious or China Garden around here ever again.

I guess if you had to choose, Chef Cao's at Manor East Mall would probably be the best we have in town at the moment.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Chef Cao's at Manor East Mall.
It's now called Hometown Chinese Restaurant. I'm not sure if it's a completely new restaurant or if Chef Cao's just changed its name at that location. I ate at the Chef Cao lunch buffet a couple of times. IMO Ye Star is much better.
Goose83
AG
MiMi said:

Quote:

Chef Cao's at Manor East Mall.
It's now called Hometown Chinese Restaurant. I'm not sure if it's a completely new restaurant or if Chef Cao's just changed its name at that location. I ate at the Chef Cao lunch buffet a couple of times. IMO Ye Star is much better.

Didn't know it had changed. The buffet was a bit uneven and on the average side, but the last time I went it was actually somewhat decent, which may have colored my memory of it.

Personally, it's time to get rid of the sushi and the fish, because that's not what Chinese is about, it drives up the price up, and adds potential health risks as well when not done correctly (something buffets already have an issue to begin with).

The best of the old buffets limited what they offered, and tried to do a decent job with what they did. The newer ones have gone all in on this new trend of having 100+ items on the menu, half of which aren't even Chinese (pizza and chicken wings, etc.), and none of which are done even remotely well.

When I want Chinese food, I want Chinese food, not the Golden Corral (and if the rugrats don't like it, well too bad - they're kids, they can suck it up).

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Quote:

Personally, it's time to get rid of the sushi and the fish,
Agree with this.

rsa
AG
JFS61 said:

I'm afraid we're never going to get another buffet the quality of the old Confucious or China Garden around here ever again.

I miss Confucius, especially when Howard (the owner) would come out and perform tricks with the yoyo.
FlyRod
What was the Chinese buffet that used to be on 29th St...just past Briarcrest and near all the medical/hospital businesses? Was in the strip that Village Foods Pharmacy is in. Damn I miss that place...
UmustBKidding
Sing Lee
FlyRod
Thanks.
biobioprof
DBSwooper said:

summergal said:

And they really want to talk to you about him eating the napkin holders...
The Chinese say they will eat anything with four legs except a table and anything with wings except an airplane.
java94
AG
rsa said:

JFS61 said:

I miss Confucius, especially when Howard (the owner) would come out and perform tricks with the yoyo.

I loved Confucius, too. It was my introduction to Chinese food, moving here from a small town to attend A&M. I can still smell and taste that Ku Lu Pork! The buffet was tiny, but it was really good. China Garden was great as well, much bigger space and bigger buffet.
91_Aggie
AG
I miss Thai Taste.
Aggie
AG
Went there today with my wife and kid.
2 adult and 1 kids buffet with 2 waters and a soft drink ran us $36 before tip.

Food was mediocre at best. Defenitly not worth $36.
We won't go back

mgreen
I have been very happy with the food. I am surprised at the comments.
AgGunNut
AG
Same here. Went a week or so ago for lunch with coworkers. We were all pleasantly surprised given the negativity the place has gotten.

Side note...we were also surprised at how big the inside was. Expected a much smaller footprint.
AggiePhil
AG
It was just OK.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
AggiePhil said:

It was just OK.
pretty much sums it up. not great, not terrible.

not one of those places that you just have to go back to.
91_Aggie
AG
I think this will only appeal to people who want to eat crap-ton of average food. It's better than Golden Corral food, but nothing was outstanding to make me think I was getting my money's worth.

So, if you are a big eater and enjoy "all you can eat", then yeah, you might like it.

If you just wanted to be able to get a bunch of different types of chinese food, but not really "get more than your money's worth" by eating "more than you can eat", it's not worth it.

I guess you could be a person that doesn't really know good chinese food and thinks this is good, though.
techno-ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

I think this will only appeal to people who want to eat crap-ton of average food. It's better than Golden Corral food, but nothing was outstanding to make me think I was getting my money's worth.

So, if you are a big eater and enjoy "all you can eat", then yeah, you might like it.

If you just wanted to be able to get a bunch of different types of chinese food, but not really "get more than your money's worth" by eating "more than you can eat", it's not worth it.

I guess you could be a person that doesn't really know good chinese food and thinks this is good, though.
Wowzers! Gonna have to check this place out.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Been once, that was enough.
FJB
Ric Clark
Been there sever time and I like the place.
FlyRod
ChiGoCo.
PS3D
JFS61 said:

And they were both torn down for Walgreens too...

I miss Confucius Chinese Cuisine, the selection wasn't super-big but it didn't need to be. The building was designed like a pagoda, if I recall correctly. (Knowing College Station, building such a building today would either be uneconomical or impossible under their restrictions).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.